Dodge Demon/power figures

I don't closely follow the 'Vette scene because I don't have one. OTOH, I don't recall hearing anything except what great performance is available. Most of the problem crashing these cars seems to be limited, or maybe nonexistent performance driving skillset.

I do follow Vette's since I have owned a number of them in the past (including one of the first ZR1's). Even back in the early 90's, they were impressive. Driving skills (or lack thereof) and excessive speed (unsafe for the conditions) are the two major factors in crashing a Vette. A lot of my friends and my dad's friends always told me "gonna wrap your ass in fiberglass"--implying that the fiberglass/composite body was less safe than metal--not true at all. I used to always tell them to go hit a tree or telephone pole at 140 mph in a Town Car and see how much better you fare.

I do love the Challenger. It doesn't pretend to be clever at all. Just a big lot of power you can't handle.. because the car can barely handle it. I'd prefer a hellcat or a demon over a Ferrari or McLaren any day...

I originally started out shopping a new high end Vette when I ended up buying my Challenger HellCat. The Vette was awesome, but also $100K for the top performance package. But there was a certain allure to the HellCat--the retro styling and the big car, even bigger motor thing that reminded me of the "good 'ol days" of my big block Camaros and Firebirds--and for almost $40K less, that tipped the scales.

That and the fact there's very few moving parts will make them very reliable except the battery..

I'm not entirely convinced. I've been toying with the idea of a Chevy Volt, but four separate cooling systems and all the electronics/computers? Great while it works, but...

Granted, that's not representative of every electric vehicle but I think there is a lot more going on under the hood, so to speak, than just a battery and a motor.

I'm not entirely convinced. I've been toying with the idea of a Chevy Volt, but four separate cooling systems and all the electronics/computers? Great while it works, but...

Granted, that's not representative of every electric vehicle but I think there is a lot more going on under the hood, so to speak, than just a battery and a motor.
You've got a good point. Electric cars haven't really been out long enough to know about super long term reliability

Looking at a replacement work vehicle. Minivan. Massive 283HP. Not bad actually, considering a 1980 'Vette was an uninspiring 180-190hp. The Vette was still sexier, but pretty lame power wise.

However, things to note. A: Stock 1980's vehicles weren't high performance due to the emissions technology then, and were also much lighter weight than today's vehicles. Remember, this was the era of a 350 Camaro or Trans-Am with 126 HP stock. Driveability issues were also very common as well. B: Today's Corvette, Camaro, Challenger, Mustang and similar have more stock HP on tap and far better brakes, steering and suspension than the Golden Age musclecars did stock. We're in a major peak era for automotive performance.

You've got a good point. Electric cars haven't really been out long enough to know about super long term reliability

I would agree. If I go green (current Crown Vic owner, LOL), I would go with a Toyota or Honda hybrid. Prius has for the most part replaced Crown Vics in Taxi service which for me is proof of design.

UHH sure they have.....

There were Electric cars in the 1900's. this is a 1914 Detroit Electric.

1922%20detroit.jpg
I was thinkin' the same thing. Fairly early in the history of the automobile, the fastest & most capable cars were electric -- or steam-powered (external combustion).

In and of themselves, electric motors are incredibly simple, capable and reliable devices. Best thing about 'em: maximum torque at stall; thus the ultra-high performance of electrics, then and now.

UHH sure they have.....

There were Electric cars in the 1900's. this is a 1914 Detroit Electric.

1922%20detroit.jpg

Electric golf carts have been around quite a while too, but I would not hold them as direct reliability/durability indicators. I think you're on the same page as that but I just wanted to clarify my point to be sure.

Last edited:
Just so you all know--the "arbitrary" 186 mph speed limitation was imposed by the tire companies, as all tires have speed ratings. At one point, 186 mph was the highest speed rating you could get for street legal/off the rack tires without having to go to custom designed application tires.

I own one of the first Hellcats, and just read (this morning) the allegedly "official" ratings for the Demon--840 hp on 100 (or greater) octane fuel--not much more than the Hellcat (in the 700's) on 91 octane pump gas--and yes, you need the crate pack with the different PCM to use the 100+ octane fuel. The lighter weight is due to the deletion of certain items--including the passenger and rear seats, sound system, and sound damping materials.

I'll keep my Hellcat--if I wanted to, I could drive it every day to the grocery store--the Demon--not so much.

I agree with you there. That is why my Hemi's are popular in this area. You can drive it every day to work, then on the weekends drive to the strip, fill the Meth tank, pop in the bottles and turn on the fun. Then if you survive, take the bottles out, purge the Meth tank and head home. But everyone to his own, I know a few guys who would try to drive that Demon every day no matter how impractical it is.

They were amazingly reliable cars - for the 1914's. It was just gas became very cheap and plentiful and the With the Model T, the bullet proof engine came out.

GM is using the battery design of the Volt as power to run the battery factory for the Volt. So, they are proving the reliability of the battery design. The cooler the Li ion battery is, the longer life they have.

I have had friends with 1st gen Prius' replace their batteries twice so far and they are expensive.

Generally not cost-effective to replace, I'd opine.
FWIW (strictly anecdotal): Mrs. H's hybrid Ford Escape went 246k miles on its original (NiMH) batteries. Rust, not battery failure, finally claimed it last summer.

002 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

The future of automobiles is: 1) probably electric and 2) definitely self-driving -- if for no other reason than that us old guys are not the key demographic for the future.

I do follow Vette's since I have owned a number of them in the past (including one of the first ZR1's). Even back in the early 90's, they were impressive. Driving skills (or lack thereof) and excessive speed (unsafe for the conditions) are the two major factors in crashing a Vette. A lot of my friends and my dad's friends always told me "gonna wrap your ass in fiberglass"--implying that the fiberglass/composite body was less safe than metal--not true at all. I used to always tell them to go hit a tree or telephone pole at 140 mph in a Town Car and see how much better you fare.

I originally started out shopping a new high end Vette when I ended up buying my Challenger HellCat. The Vette was awesome, but also $100K for the top performance package. But there was a certain allure to the HellCat--the retro styling and the big car, even bigger motor thing that reminded me of the "good 'ol days" of my big block Camaros and Firebirds--and for almost $40K less, that tipped the scales.

I have owned a few vettes in my lifetime, mostly classic era so nothing approaching the modern versions performance level. I used to be a die hard Vette fan, even then I found them to be a bit squirrely, and the modern versions required much more attention when driving hard than I was willing to give. But each to his own. Any car of this caliber will kill you pretty quick if you do not know what you are doing.

Only on AK could such a thread evolve into a discussion of electric and steam powered vehicles, and anemic 'vettes. Lol ...

The amazing thing about the demon is the transmission brake.. it's not crazy powered vs competition.. but allowing that turbo to spool up before launch.

Do love the Challenger it's like.. what emissions?

Back
Top Bottom