Dodged a Bullet on the X-101-B

larryderouin

I'm VERTICAL and Breathing...most of the time.
Subscriber
On the X-101-B I was changing the output coupling caps underneath swapping DME's for MKP;s Same Value and Voltage. When Battradio worked on it about 10 years ago he used Cornell Dublier DME series coupling caps on most all of the couplers in all stages except the Phono. I moved them all minimally as the amount of room between the sockets and the bottom panel is practically non existant. It's TIGHT!!!

When I fired it up the LEFT Channel was about 1/2 the volume of the Right channel. I put it back on the bench, hooked it back up to source and speakers and grabbed my favorite plastic poker. I got some crackling from the .033uf cap on pin 1 of V2 at the connection on the side away from the tube. So I Sucked off the solder and re-soldered it. No change. Checked my stock of .033uf's and only had 2 of the .033uf's. Luckily they were 250V It's tighter there than anywhere else!

So dropped the new ones on both V2 and V7.in the same positions. Fired it up and it was fine balance wise. Then I got an idea and scarfed the Mullard GZ-34 off the TA-600 and swapped out the Sovtek 5AR4. The sound got better/smoother and corrected some of the other smaller problems in SQ in the 101.

I still don't care for the Dimension pot. Is there a way to disconnect it without hurting it or creating a problem with the Balance? And it has to be reversible.

Larry

Larry -- When the Dimension or Blend control is set to full Stereo, that pot is completely out of the circuit due to the way the pot is designed: in the Stereo position, there is no carbon track at that point for the wiper to come in contact with, so the resistance goes to infinite. If you want to remove or disable the control, simply remove the leads connected to it and call it a day.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom