Does anyone know how I can contact Jim Long ? (of Electrovoice fame)

Rick, ya gonna get them autographed?

BillWojo

Nah, I'm just hoping to see how he utilized his in his home system. Maybe he'd be kind enough to share the details of drivers used, crossovers/crossover points, and details about his bass bins. Like I mentioned at Jim's, if anyone has an idea on how to utilize these properly in a home listening environment, he does.

I'd probably use Altec 288 drivers and cross around 500Hz. Some Altec bass bins for the low end running on some SS with tubes on top. Should sound pretty good. You might want to join over at the Altec forum, should get some suggestions over there.
My friend was using some Altec 291-8K drivers that were on loan from me. They were sitting on top of JBL bass bins with dual 15" woofers. Funny thing is, he never played his music load. Still sounded pretty sweet though.

BillWojo

Well, Linkedin worked. I made contact. Now we've moved on to email.

Jim alluded to writing an article for Sound Practices back in 1995 about his home stereo. Anyone have any of these issues floating around that could check ?

Well after initial contact I have yet to hear back from him. In the mean time, I found a little more information on the speakers.

A better picture, and a partial description lifted from Facebook.

jim long speaers.jpg

ytc ev jim long speakers.PNG

Last edited:
Neat picture, hopefully he is just busy and takes the time to get back to you.
That looks like an early Altec alnico driver, possibly a 288 laying on the floor. My guess is that is what he used in his system. Problem is that they go for big money.
I would look for the later model ceramic magnet 288 or even 291 drivers, the only difference is the diaphragm type. Call GPA and order 288 diaphragm's for a set of 291 drivers and they are now 288's. It's like the difference between the small format 802 or 808 drivers.
Keep us posted, I hope you have something in the works by the fall meetup. I'd love to hear these in your system.

BillWojo

Back
Top Bottom