Does anyone know these speakers?

guybar10

IMG_2259.JPG IMG_2258.JPG IMG_2260.JPG IMG_2261.JPG Hi eveyone,
I have these speakers for 20+ years and I always wondered what brand is this?
They sound pretty decent and they are made in germany but I can't seem to find any kind of information about them or the company who made them ("Professional").
The specs are pretty good as well (The sensitivity is great!)
Does anyone recognize them?
What's your opinion about them if you do?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:
Pretty tough to search for a brand called 'Professional' or even the term 'pro' because you'll get all kinds of speakers built for pro audio.

One thing you can do if you're so inclined is to carefully remove the drivers (keep track of which wires go to which terminals) and post pics and any numbers stamped on the backs. We may be able to ascertain who made the drivers, at least.

Even though the drivers seem to be good quality, that label on the back screams "European white van" (not that I think they are - it's rare that you see a pair of white van speakers described as "decent sounding" - possibly they didn't have any native English speakers to write up the label).

Looks pretty white van-ish to me.

The 97dB seems pretty optimistic as well.

I kinda doubt they were made in Germany but that's just a guess.

As long as they sound good, that's all that matters.

Actually my mom bought them for me for my 13th birthday (21 years ago) at a stereo shop.
They were also been kept in storage for a couple of years, and they have no wear at all.

I don't wanna remove any parts of them, just wanted to know if somebody even know this brand and can tell me something about it and/or the quality of the speakers.
Maybe that company made just one model and than got bankrupted...who knows...

Thanks!

So you're saying not to trust the specs that are written on the label, as well as the "made in germany"?
I'm from Israel and I doubt that a stereo shop would import a house-branded speaker from germany , but who knows...

It's not that the printed specs are necessarily wrong, but there are different ways to measure them. For example, the sensitivity could have been measured with white noise, or at just one frequency. If just one frequency, they could have chosen the frequency where the speaker has the highest response. So the 'average' across the entire range could be lower than 97 db. Not a problem if they get loud enough for you.

Similarly with the frequency response figures. These are often suspect when they don't give the +/- range. For example, at the low end (40 hz), the response may be 3 db lower than the average or highest response, or it could be -6 db, or -10 db. Even two speakers with documented +/- ranges that are the same may not sound the same. +/- 3 db gives a theoretical range of 6 db at any one frequency for the two speakers, and that can lead to some significant differences in overall sound. But again, if you like them don't worry too much about the label. When you replace them some day, you may find that other speakers with similar specs may not sound the same, and even ones with apparently lower specs may sound better.

Well, specs often have little to do with how a speaker actually sounds, but if those speakers really are 97dB/w sensitive and can handle 150 watts then if placed close to the wall, 3 feet away should be able to produce over 125 dB.

Not saying that is impossible, but that is very unlikely.

I wouldn't sweat the specs. If they sound good, that's all that matters.

Notice misspelling in "Requirements" - I'm of the opinion a major manufacturer would have caught this. I vote that indeed they may be white van, or a close cousin. Perhaps a rebranded version of another manufacturer that was made to be more generic?

Notice misspelling in "Requirements" - I'm of the opinion a major manufacturer would have caught this. I vote that indeed they may be white van, or a close cousin. Perhaps a rebranded version of another manufacturer that was made to be more generic?

Maybe those pesky Germans drop the "t". :D

Update:
I somehow managed to get hold of the seller that sold these speakers to my mom 25!!! years ago (He still has a stereo shop...) and asked him about those speakers:
The cabinet was made in Israel by a small company and the drivers were made by Westra which was located in Germany.
So I solved the mystery!
Did westra made good speakers back than? They do sound not bad at all...

Thanks everybody for your help!

Wow, that was some Sherlock Holmes level sleuthing.

In all my speaker geeking I have not heard of Westra, so I got nothin'. If you google "Westra Speakers" though, you'll get tons of stuff to read.

Update:
I somehow managed to get hold of the seller that sold these speakers to my mom 25!!! years ago (He still has a stereo shop...) and asked him about those speakers:
The cabinet was made in Israel by a small company and the drivers were made by Westra which was located in Germany.
So I solved the mystery!
Did westra made good speakers back than? They do sound not bad at all...

Thanks everybody for your help!
:bowdown:

Back
Top Bottom