Does anyone know what the green stuff is on the screws...

Quote: "Sounds like loctite , we used to use the blue, which was meant to be removable, but they also carried a red and/or green for a more permanent thread lock. A few drops on the thread and then the friction of turning the screw or nut helped to solidify the compound."

The Loctite being referred to above is an anaerobic compound used on the thread itself, never on the head. It hardens by the exclusion of oxygen ('anaerobic') combined with the presence of a metal ion. It's main use is in highly-loaded mechanical assemblies where expansion/contraction, or fretting from severe vibration, could cause the threaded fastener to work loose.

I don't see that level of stress occurring in household audio equipment so, as suggested by others, the drop of "green stuff" on the head is most likely a solvent-carried screw locker and/or anti-tamper identifier.

It it's a loctite type compound, it would be easy to test. Just apply soldering iron and heat a little; that undoes loctite nicely.

It's not a thread locker/sealer. It never touches the threads. It's put on the head of the screw after it's installed.

- Pete

I've seen quite a lot of it in places too. You often see it slathered on screws for tuning cap screws and dial cord anchors. The paint itself is enamel or maybe lacquer and it's put on after the screw is installed so it's not being used in the same way an actual thread locker like locktite would be applied. That said, with enough of it on there, it would provide some resistance to the screw coming loose.

- Pete

I know this is a LONG time to revive a dead thread, but I have the answer:

What you are looking for, the transparent green-blue stuff that is applied to the edges of screws after they’re installed, is ThreeBond 1401B.

It comes in a rectangular can. Keep it capped when not in use and it will last a long time.

Attachments

• IMG_7937.jpeg
    IMG_7937.jpeg
    51.8 KB · Views: 17
Back
Top Bottom