Does anyone make a good old 2 channel solid state pre-amp anymore ?

zebra03

All Audio - NO BS
I am using a Harman Kardon PM665 right now as a preamp . It's kind of petering out . I need phone too . Did I mention cheap . By the way , I'm cheap .

Luxman does, you will have to cough up some cash though, it's not cheap.

main.jpg

In the grand scheme of things, relatively speaking, all the great equipment was made yesterday. All you need to do is find it, service it and enjoy it. Don't limit yourself to the latest mass produced piece of equipment. I think I may be preaching to the choir here. :blah:

Last edited:
The hole in your plan is "cheap"
Not a lot for one can be very different for others.
I'd think your best bet (meaning to me, price, quality, reliability) would lie in BT.
Every thing except price (again , subjective) is available new.
Your budget might help with suggestions.
Also a receiver or integrated with pre out jacks might give you more options.

"Cheap" is the rub, as the high-end has no shortage of solid state preamps.

I've been very happy with the inexpensive Pro-Ject Pre Box S, which I acquired new-in-box on eBay for $80.

It was phased out this year to make way for the Pre Box S2 Analog, which is slightly better-appointed. MSRP: $299.

I am using a Harman Kardon PM665 right now as a preamp . It's kind of petering out . I need phone too . Did I mention cheap . By the way , I'm cheap .
You need the HK 3370. I have one those I found at yard sale for $50. Pull the old fashion hoop pre-out / amp-in. Has phono, everything.

Anything wrong with the Schiit Saga? It's passive though sounds pretty damn fantastic. You can even replace the 6SN7 in the buffer for a solid state alternative these days

If you're interested in a new DAC/pre that also has analog inputs, you might check out the Maverick Audio D1 at $225, Emotiva BasX PT-100 at $299, or Pro-Ject MaiA Pre at $499.

Cheap preamps have issues with their self image especially if they've been used.

Your H/K probably has a decent preamp section. Are you just looking to replace or also improve?

The PM 665 does have a nice pre amp section, pre out/main in, and flexible phono stage. I had one, the main problem was the many tiny switches need cleaning often. The amp stage was solid too- I used it with different pre-amps with good results. I should have kept that thing!

The PM 665 does have a nice pre amp section, pre out/main in, and flexible phono stage. I had one, the main problem was the many tiny switches need cleaning often. The amp stage was solid too- I used it with different pre-amps with good results. I should have kept that thing!
You have hit the nail on the head here .

That's a great point . The HK is necessary because my main pre-amp (Adcom GTP-450) is full . I just need some extra inputs plus one for my Turntable .

In that case you could just get an Aux Input expander for the Adcom and simplify things by disconnecting the HK altogether. No need for another separate preamp if all you need are a few more inputs. I think someone makes a phono preamp with extra switchable Aux inputs, maybe that would be the ticket here if your Adcom doesn’t have a phono section.

In that case you could just get an Aux Input expander for the Adcom and simplify things by disconnecting the HK altogether. No need for another separate preamp if all you need are a few more inputs. I think someone makes a phono preamp with extra switchable Aux inputs, maybe that would be the ticket here if your Adcom doesn’t have a phono section.

You mean something like this. It has Phono and three aux inputs. It also comes in Silver.
https://www.phonopreamps.com/tc754pp.html
TC754F.jpg

That's a great point . The HK is necessary because my main pre-amp (Adcom GTP-450) is full . I just need some extra inputs plus one for my Turntable ...You have hit the nail on the head here .
The GTP-450 has five including the processor loops. You can bypass all but the HK's selector switch by using the phono preamp alone. Run tape out to one of the line ins on the Adcom.

That gives you four line level and one phono. How many inputs do you need?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom