does anyone play/collect vintage cartridge video games?

moewillis

just to recap, i love recapping
i have always had a soft spot for vintage cartridge video games. i have a smaller collection than some i see but i slowly pick up games as i can. i garage sale and hit my local store from time to time. is anyone else into vintage games? lets see some of those collections!!

i'll start. in my "game room" i keep an nes, an snes, a sega, an n64 and a gamecube (mini disc). i also have a wii and a ps3 but they never get used as i primarily pc game.

here's a shot of my game shelf

IMG_2013.JPG

my 165lb 32" tv (seriously) and consoles. please excuse the mess, i just walked in and snapped a couple pics.

IMG_2014.JPG

i thought this was the coolest thing ever. it was made by a local girl. its that bead art (?) i think. it used to hang in a local game store that has since closed. she did a perfect job on it. its about 20" tall and 30" wide (pretty good size) and anyone familiar with mario will know what it is. it is a perfect copy! it hangs just above my tv

IMG_2015.JPG

i will never get rid of that thing!

so anyone else collect? what you got??

I don't really collect but I still have our old Atari game console and maybe a dozen game cartridges. Haven't played with it since the 70's!

I don't really collect but I still have our old Atari game console and maybe a dozen game cartridges. Haven't played with it since the 70's!

I keep my eyes peeled for a heavy sixxer but I haven't gotten one yet. Atari was just before my time but I still enjoy playing them. I could just buy one off ebay but it's not as fun that way. You should dig it out and hook it up! Good fun for an hour or two!

My son who is in his 30's has the Gamecube, Dreamcast, Sega Megadrive, C64, Amiga, Super Nintendo and some others, he loves them.

My oldest two boys moved from console games to PC only play. However systems that they've used in years past seem to linger around here. Still have an old Sega, N64, Game Cube, Wii, PS2, and PS3. My youngest boy is pretty much into his Xbox One at this point. My daughter? Not much of a gamer..... maybe hits the Wii once in awhile for MarioKart or Wii sports. Every time I think of getting rid of the old console games, someone will get the bug to play....... like Christmas 2015 when we drug out the PS2 and the Katamari Damacy game and played for several days in a row.....

And then there's that cocktail table Galaga of my wife's ......

My oldest two boys moved from console games to PC only play. However systems that they've used in years past seem to linger around here. Still have an old Sega, N64, Game Cube, Wii, PS2, and PS3. My youngest boy is pretty much into his Xbox One at this point. My daughter? Not much of a gamer..... maybe hits the Wii once in awhile for MarioKart or Wii sports. Every time I think of getting rid of the old console games, someone will get the bug to play....... like Christmas 2015 when we drug out the PS2 and the Katamari Damacy game and played for several days in a row.....

And then there's that cocktail table Galaga of my wife's ......

I want one of those tabletops! We used to play one at a local bar and really enjoyed it!

I personally don't play these guys much but every now and then the mood hits me and I waste an hour or two with the mrs. All the games we have and we usually play mario3 on nes and super mario world on snes. I try to grab the better titles and not have a bunch of dollar bin stuff. That new nes that came out (that's sold out for the holidays) I have 23 of the 30 games on there. I guess I have good tastes.

I want one of those tabletops! We used to play one at a local bar and really enjoyed it!

I personally don't play these guys much but every now and then the mood hits me and I waste an hour or two with the mrs. All the games we have and we usually play mario3 on nes and super mario world on snes. .

My only away from the house game play was Pacman/ Mrs. Pacman in local bars back in the day. My wife is a beast on Galaga (strangely so was an ex girlfriend of mine...hmmm)

Truth be known I have abysmal hand-eye coordination so I'm a terrible gamer. Consequently I like slower paced stuff. KLAX on the Sega. Katamari Damacy on the PS2. A few things on the Wii like Mario Kart, some of the sports games, etc.

I think we even have some of the little hand held units. Game Boy? Had tiny little dimly lit screens. Didn't stop the kids from playing them though.

My only away from the house game play was Pacman/ Mrs. Pacman in local bars back in the day. My wife is a beast on Galaga (strangely so was an ex girlfriend of mine...hmmm)

Truth be known I have abysmal hand-eye coordination so I'm a terrible gamer. Consequently I like slower paced stuff. KLAX on the Sega. Katamari Damacy on the PS2. A few things on the Wii like Mario Kart, some of the sports games, etc.

I think we even have some of the little hand held units. Game Boy? Had tiny little dimly lit screens. Didn't stop the kids from playing them though.

i actually have a gameboy and gamboy color as well... didnt think to mention those. as i kid i spent a lot of time staring at that little screen

i actually have a gameboy and gamboy color as well... didnt think to mention those. as i kid i spent a lot of time staring at that little screen

Lol. Remember the accessory packs they'd sell? Like the useless rechargeable battery packs? And the little things to try and illuminate the screens so you could actually see what was going on?

Lol. Remember the accessory packs they'd sell? Like the useless rechargeable battery packs? And the little things to try and illuminate the screens so you could actually see what was going on?
SUPER_ZOOM_LIGHT_MAGNIFIER_FOR_GAMEBOY_ORIGINAL_SYSTEM.jpg

we used to have one of these (maybe a different brand). we used to pass it around with tetris to see who could get the best score!

Oh, yeah... the magnifier. How could I forget ? Ultimately my kids would just use the bare unit and sit on the couch and lean in under a bright lamp on the end table. That seemed to work best for them.

You youngsters and your new-fangled gadgets.
When I was growing up we didn't have pixels, we had to make do with LED's and we were damn happy to have them!
Mattel-Football.jpg

Mattel-Electronics-Football.jpg

Still got both the Atari 2600 and 5200 hooked up to the set - even got a couple Slik Stik controllers.

Only caution is, don't expect the cheapo RF adapters to work - they don't have enough juice to support the signal levels required. You DO need one of the old school game/tv switches for a good pic.

Anybody ready for Missile Command? Donkey Kong? Yar's Revenge? Oink! <G>

You betcha' sKIZ! :D
How 'bout Donkey Kong jr. on my Intellivision II console? :)

Rome

Did anyone else cheat at Atari Space Invaders on the 2600?

I enjoyed Yar's Revenge but didn't like Missile Command on the console. I preferred the roller ball controller in the arcades. Donkey Kong was frustrating. I don't remember getting past the second board.
I played many hours of River Raid and continue to prefer that style of game forty years later. I'm using my PS3 to play a lot of PS1 games that weren't released here for some reason or another and it's been great..
Barnstormer and Combat were both fun. The bi-planes and jets were my favorite in Combat. My brother is three years younger and couldn't get the curving shots in those and would get mad and stomp off. The tanks with the bouncing shots...:(

Thanks a lot guys. Now I'm going to have to find me a 2600.:mad:

Did anyone else cheat at Atari Space Invaders on the 2600?

I enjoyed Yar's Revenge but didn't like Missile Command on the console. I preferred the roller ball controller in the arcades. Donkey Kong was frustrating. I don't remember getting past the second board.
I played many hours of River Raid and continue to prefer that style of game forty years later. I'm using my PS3 to play a lot of PS1 games that weren't released here for some reason or another and it's been great..
Barnstormer and Combat were both fun. The bi-planes and jets were my favorite in Combat. My brother is three years younger and couldn't get the curving shots in those and would get mad and stomp off. The tanks with the bouncing shots...:(

Thanks a lot guys. Now I'm going to have to find me a 2600.:mad:

for ps1 i love the twisted metal series! 1, 2, and 3 are the only ones i keep for ps1

You youngsters and your new-fangled gadgets.
When I was growing up we didn't have pixels, we had to make do with LED's and we were damn happy to have them!

Youngsters ? When I was little, LEDs had yet to be invented......

Moe, awesome selection and cool wall-art. My son made a Mario power-up mushroom for his rearview mirror. My local video game shop has new gaming units that accept 3 or 4 genre of cartridges (i.e. Sega, Ninten, Super Ninten, ect....) for around $45 (pretty cool if you ask me). Though I don't collect I do keep eyes open at thrifts for Stadium Events (Nintendo) and Air Raid (w/ the t-handle). Stadium Events without box go for thousands.

Back
Top Bottom