does anyone play/collect vintage cartridge video games?

I'm into Vintage consoles as well. I also lean towards cartridge based systems as opposed to CD ones. I'm trying to resist the urge to "over collect" so I'm trying to limit to the few I have a connection to. Right now that's an Atari 2600, Sega Mastersystem, and a TI 99/4A computer which was my first computer and it was used quite a bit for its cartridge based games. My room and entertainment center with my setup is a bit of a disaster right now so I'll have to take a pic whenever I finally get it arranged.

Here is what I have now:
My original Atari 2600 4 switch woody that I had as as kid as well as the handful of cartridges I had BITD. Some of them are my original carts and some have been replaced with better condition copies.

A Sears (Tele-Games) Heavy Sixer as well as a full set of Heavy Sixer Paddles and driving wheels. One of these days I'm going to find a set of CX-10 joysticks with the search hex-discs but I probably won't be able to afford them when I so. Because the Tele-Games version is less common I kinda fell for it and also decided to collect other Tele-Games branded 2600 stuff. I also have the Tele-Games version of the storage center and most of the carts that were released with a Tele-Games label. These are the only carts I collect since I didn't want to get out of hand. Primarily I use a Harmony Encore flash cart to play all the 2600 games. I also have the RGB mod board that I plan to install in one of my 2600's but haven't gotten around to it yet. My previous daily driver was a light sixer that I had modded with the SVideo mod.

My Sega-Master System I inherited from my wife's younger brother. I also have an Everdrive flash cart for it and most of the accessories. I also have the FM sound mod card for it from the same guy who make the 2600 RGB mod. It hasn't been installed yet either.

For all of the other systems I'd like to play (all the Nintendos, later Atari's, Saturn etc.) my plan is to mod my original Xbox for emulation. Original NES was probably the last system I really played a lot of as a kid. I might set up one of those one day. I do have a basket-case NES I picked up at a garage sale super cheap but I have nothing but the console and haven't even tried to test it out yet. If I stumble across other 8bit systems cheap I might pick them up but usually I'll refurbish and sell them.

I have a 27" late model SD CRT TV (late enough to have an ATSC tuner) that I use for my vintage gaming. It has component video inputs so my plan is to eventually get all my systems setup for the highest resolution output each of them is capable of. The 2600 I'll mod with the RGB board, the SMS has native RGB, and the Xbox does component video native. I have an older Audio Authority RGB to component video transcoder to handle the conversion.

I also have a Sega Dreamcast for the sole purpose of playing "Typing of the Dead". My plan is to eventually hook it up in my game room so that people can play it on the big screen.

My TI 994/a setup would take me much longer to list all out. It was my first computer and my uncle worked for TI so I eventually inherited most of his setup. I have a full blown system with many add-ons. It has also been modded with the F18A VGA board so I can connect it to a nice CRT VGA monitor. I collect some of the TI carts but also recently bought the newly developed flashRom99 cart.

I've also recently acquired a Vic20 and about 15 boxed games because I couldn't pass it up. I never had a Vic20 so I might trade it for a Commodore 64 or something. I those are more computer but we did a fair ammount of cartridge based gaming on them so I thought it was worth noting.

In line with AK policies, I also plan to put a vintage stereo receiver (probably my Yamaha CR-1020) and a turntable setup in my console gaming entertainment center which would be a secondary listening space for me. Nothing would be cooler than listening to my 70's and 80's albums while console gaming!

Demon Attack on Intellivision - hell yeah!

That was one of my favorite games in the 2600 back in the day also. I recently got it for the TI 9/4a and its pretty different but also a pretty good port. I'll have to check out thr Intellivision on in emulation since I don't have one.

I think this was probably '80 or '81 and I loved playing Demon Attack on my Intellivision but then it developed a problem where it would play for awhile then freeze up.
Also recall contacting Mattel about it and they said it sounded like "the motherboard." Wasn't really sure what that was at the time either but someone recommended putting it in the freezer...:rolleyes:...
That didn't doing any good and I eventually pitched the console and the games.
I have very fond memories of DA tho and if the console hadn't pooped out like it did - I might have become a gamer!

For those of you non collectors who might be nostalgic there is an emulator for probably every console that you can dowload and run on your computer. Nearly every game rom can also be dowloaded with a brief search. There are even Retro USB controllers styled after the original controllers for many of the console systems.

I know this is common knowledge to many people but I just want to put it out there for those who come across this thread, get nostalgic, and might not be aware.

I loved playing Demon Attack

I forgot about that one. I had that for the 2600 and loved it.

For those of you non collectors who might be nostalgic there is an emulator for probably every console that you can dowload and run on your computer. Nearly every game rom can also be dowloaded with a brief search. There are even Retro USB controllers styled after the original controllers for many of the console systems.

I know this is common knowledge to many people but I just want to put it out there for those who come across this thread, get nostalgic, and might not be aware.
I've been trying to get mame setup but it's not seeing the roms I've tried. I'll have to see if I can find Demon Attack now.

Last edited:
Still got both the Atari 2600 and 5200 hooked up to the set - even got a couple Slik Stik controllers.

Only caution is, don't expect the cheapo RF adapters to work - they don't have enough juice to support the signal levels required. You DO need one of the old school game/tv switches for a good pic.

Anybody ready for Missile Command? Donkey Kong? Yar's Revenge? Oink! <G>
I was the KING of Yar's Revenge !

All hail to the King!

sw802swyu799.gif

I've been trying to get mame setup but it's not seeing the roms I've tried. I'll have to see if I can find Demon Attack now.

I only use mame for Arcade emulation. For all of the consoles I've emulated there is usually a better dedicated emulator. For Atari 2600 its Stella.

I only use mame for Arcade emulation. For all of the consoles I've emulated there is usually a better dedicated emulator. For Atari 2600 its Stella.
So close.
I went looking for Demon Attack and they recommended Stella so I installed it and it works great. Then I read your post.:oops:
I'm still pretty good at DA, but River Raid is going to take some practice.

I have 5 ZX Spectrums including the ZX 80. Also a Mega drive.

Too cool. I'd never heard of the ZX Spectrum before and had to look it up. Sounds like it might have the same continuing appeal and development in UK that some of the other simialr computer have here.

Back
Top Bottom