does anyone play/collect vintage cartridge video games?

The previous post that bumped this thread seems out of left field (edit: looks like that post was deleted) and may be a bot but I realized since my original post saying that I was trying to limit the systems I collect for I’ve gained a few so I thought I’d post that.

Added since my original post:

I stumbled into a Magnavox Odyssey 2 which is also a system I have nostalgia for since my cousin who I was close to and spent a lot of time with had one (same one who got me into the TI 99/A).

I also some time ago stopped at what was advertised as an Estate sale by the yard signs that turned out to be a dirty old house (inside and out) with what I can only assume was the owner selling his dirty crusty old junk. I did however find there a questionable looking Nintendo NES console. It didn’t have any parts except the console itself, was missing the door, was dirty as hell and covered with stickers. FFWD several years and I finally pulled it out, thoroughly cleaned it inside and out, boiled the cartridge connector (a known fix for bad connections), picked up a replacement door off eBay and it was back in business. I picked up the power adapter, controllers, and light gun from a guy I buy from often who sells stuff online for a charity thrift shop in town. I also got an Everdrive so I can load it up with every NES game and not worry about carts.

I don’t think I mentioned it before but I also have a Sega Dreamcast just so I could play “Typing of the Dead” which is a “House of the Dead” port where you “shoot” the zombies by typing the phrases that pop up in conversation bubbles. It was originally Japanese only but has been ported to English by a fan.

I did finally also hack my original Xbox to use an an emulator for other systems. That proved to be quite a frustrating affair since I tried to do it using the “hot swap” method and the various tools are finicky and required me to dig out multiple computers before I found one what worked with them.

On the vintage computer side I also picked up a Commodore 128 so satisfy my Commodore 64 cravings. I got it in a trade at the arcade expo a few years back for an Apple portable computer. Finally pulled it out and made sure it worked while I was teleworking recently but now I need to get all the necessary accessories for it.

Last edited:
Just received an Atari 2600 (light weight) via FB marketplace. Came in with a corner busted. Not very happy about that, guy did a piss-poor job with shipping. But whatever, it works. Had a finicky power switch but a clean with Deoxit and it’s back to working. We’ve played pitfall!, warlords and Jedi arena so far. Just got another 5 games in the mail, awaiting to be played tonight :D

In addition, my boyfriend’s dad found an old dusty/smoky NES in his basement with the original controllers, and gave it to us. Was covered in an orange film and reeked, but it turned on. However, it had the dreaded flashing red light. I had a game I KNEW worked, so I assumed it’s the console. Took it apart, cleaned the 72 pins, and any contacts with isopropyl. When putting it back together, the spring loaded cartridge mechanism wouldn’t stay shut. Slightly loosened a screw on the motherboard and that seemed to fix it weirdly enough. Put in a game, hooked it up, and boom! Working NES. Very proud of myself on this one, used to play this game constantly growing up. Uncle sold the system and game at a garage sale a while back, but now I can finally play this game again :)

1A042968-CFE2-492E-8FF7-E8D120A528E3.jpeg

I have several Dendy games along with the console, and I also like to collect minecraft accounts from the earliest versions of the game and play with them in the beta or even alpha version of the game. Now I have a rented server here https://ggservers.com and I can let a few more people in. If there are the same fans to play vintage minecraft, then I will be glad to see you on my server. Every time I go there, I feel a strong nostalgia for the times when I just bought a computer and I was a young boy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom