Does it actually work?

RobV

Sansui Power
The seller says: “The unit's power comes on and its blinking red light goes off after few seconds and its relay clicks on.
All pre-amp functions work when the amp is connected to a standalone power amp.
But no sound is heard from this amp thru its own speaker terminals.”

OK – look at the position of the connected/separated switch. It’s in the cap coupled (separated) position. You could expect no output from the speaker terminals with the switch in that position; there’s no signal at the power amp input.

So – are you thinking what I did: “just flip the switch and it’s a fully functional (and clean) amp”.

Consider this: I emailed him the first day of the (10 day) auction and told him to try the switch and see if you get output. Told him exactly what to do. This only takes a few minutes and if it works, I would add that fact to the auction. Obviously worth more, right? He never responded to my email (e.g., “I tried that”). Nor did he add “I flipped the switch and it works” to the auction. Wouldn’t you?

Or, ….he knows for sure there is something wrong with the amp but deliberately photographed the switch in one of the separated positions, hoping to sucker someone. It’s kinda fishy that he’s keeping the bidder IDs private. He’s not doing that in any of his 17 other auctions. Why doesn’t he want someone (like me) to contact the bidders?

The auction makes it clear that the amp doesn’t work….. and is sold As-Is, No Refunds or Returns. The seller sells lots of amps (see his feedback), so I have to believe he knows amps.

I wouldn’t mind an AU-919 for a good price, but I won’t bid on it. What do you think?

Rob, I can understand your frustration regarding the seller. I agree that its very simple to move the switch and then see if the amp works properly again. Perhaps he's afraid of implementing your suggestion for fear that it might actually work and he'll then have to admit to himself he was an utter imbecile for not thinking to move a simple switch in the first place :)

Seriously, if he seems to be in the habit of ignoring your emails then perhaps its best to buy an AU-919 from another seller. The AU-919 indeed ranks high up on the List of great Sansui amplifiers, so 'tis no surprise to B/F why anyone should covet one. (and why I own two AU-919's myself). In your case, owning the BA-F1 power amp, I dont know if you would experience much difference between them, I believe the BA-F1/CA-F1 combo and AU-919 integrated share alot of characteristics in their design and sound.

Regards,

B/F

He's a little off on the dates, there were no AU-919's yet in '77, and neither for most of '78. Interesting how the early ones had spring clip terminals like the 717.

B/F

No use spending good money for paperweight

e-bay sellers who claim to not be able to tell if unit is fully operational are difficult to bid on. I myself won't make any large bid on e-bay unless I know the seller, or know someone who knows the seller.

Everything on e-bay is not always a deal..

Ron

Couple of real fishy things about that guys/Gals auctions. First off they have 23 pieces of audio gear up for sale. No one has that many pieces without running a test of some kind on them ! Nuther thing that I don't like is I read a few of their current auctions and NOT one of them makes any mention about the item working or not. For the prices they want they better be ! Why the private bidder lists ?? Lastly while their feedback is not Terrible its ain't great either.

With even one of the things mentioned above I would have steered clear of them.

Back
Top Bottom