Does my new integrated tube amp have enough wattage to properly drive my speakers?

Quentin1998

Hi everyone, I'm very new to all the math that comes along with pairing amplifiers and speakers. The new integrated amp I have is a push pull tube amp 55 watts per channel and my speakers have sensitivity of 90dB. Here is the link to the amp http://www.questforsound.com/amps/amps_sq88.htm and the speakers https://www.paradigm.com/products-hidden/type=bookshelf/model=mini-monitor-v3/page=specs

I believe the amp and speakers will pair well, but like I said above I'm very new to this and comments from others who are more experienced will help greatly.

Thank!!!!

Well, given that you chose fairly small bookshelf speakers, I have to assume you don't have a listening room the size of a warehouse and you don't want to rattle the pictures off the wall. If those assumptions are true, the pairing should sound excellent.

specs:

CONTROL FUNCTIONS: Volume, Input, Power On/Off
REMOTE VOLUME CONTROL
POWER OUTPUT: 55 watt x 2, RMS 1kHz
TOTAL HARMONIC DISTORTION: less than 1%(10watt, 1kHz)
FREQUENCY RESPONSE: (-3dB points at 10 watt) 6Hz-60kHz
INPUT SENSITIVITY: 290mV
INPUT IMPEDANCE: 100k
OUTPUT IMPEDANCE: 4 & 8 OHMS
5 way binding post
SIGNAL/NOISE: 90dB
CONSUMPTION: 120watt
INPUT INTERFACES: 3 groups (RCA) -1,2 & 3 on rear panel
OVERALL NEGATIVE FEEDBACK -VERY LITTLE (-6db)
VACUUM TUBE: kt88 x 4, 6N9P/6SL7 x 2, 6N8P/6SN7 x 2
SELF BIASING DESIGN
DIMENSIONS: 428mm/16 ¾" (L) x 340mm/13 3/8"(W) x 200mm/7 7/8"(H)
WEIGHT: 18kg/40(net);20kg-45LBS(shipping)
INCLUDES 1 SET OF ISOL-PADS ....
WARRANTY- 1 YEAR PARTS AND LABOR - 90 DAYS TUBES

YOU MAY TUBE ROLL AND USE EL-34'S OR 6550 TUBES ..

Speakers
Mini Monitor v3 Specifications

Design

2-driver, 2-way bass reflex, quasi-3rd-order resistive port, bookshelf / stand-mounted

Crossover

3rd-order electro-acoustic at 2.0kHz

Frequency Response On-Axis

±2dB from 56 Hz - 20 kHz

Frequency Response 30° Off-Axis

±2dB from 56 Hz - 18 kHz

High Frequency Driver

25-mm (1 in) PTD™ dome

Mid/Bass Frequency Driver

165-mm (6-1/2 in) ICP™ cone, die-cast chassis

Low Frequency Extension

40 Hz (DIN)

Sensitivity Room / Anechoic

90 dB / 87 dB

Impedance

Compatible with 8 ohms

Suitable Amplifier Power Range

15 - 100 watts

Maximum Input Power

80 watts

Finishes

Light Cherry, Dark Cherry, Black Ash

Weight

32 lbs. (14.5 kg)

Dimensions HxWxD

13.5" × 8" × 12.25"
(34.3cm × 20.3cm × 31.1cm)

I would say so and you also might want to try out the amps 4ohm speaker taps as well.

Should be fine..no spec on minimum impedance on the speaks, probably doesn't drop much at all..

Well, given that you chose fairly small bookshelf speakers, I have to assume you don't have a listening room the size of a warehouse and you don't want to rattle the pictures off the wall. If those assumptions are true, the pairing should sound excellent.
Thanks for the reply! Yes you are correct the room size I have for use is not very big, and the paradigm speakers should be more than enough. I don't crank the volume very high, but I do like the sound to fill the room.

specs:

CONTROL FUNCTIONS: Volume, Input, Power On/Off
REMOTE VOLUME CONTROL
POWER OUTPUT: 55 watt x 2, RMS 1kHz
TOTAL HARMONIC DISTORTION: less than 1%(10watt, 1kHz)
FREQUENCY RESPONSE: (-3dB points at 10 watt) 6Hz-60kHz
INPUT SENSITIVITY: 290mV
INPUT IMPEDANCE: 100k
OUTPUT IMPEDANCE: 4 & 8 OHMS
5 way binding post
SIGNAL/NOISE: 90dB
CONSUMPTION: 120watt
INPUT INTERFACES: 3 groups (RCA) -1,2 & 3 on rear panel
OVERALL NEGATIVE FEEDBACK -VERY LITTLE (-6db)
VACUUM TUBE: kt88 x 4, 6N9P/6SL7 x 2, 6N8P/6SN7 x 2
SELF BIASING DESIGN
DIMENSIONS: 428mm/16 ¾" (L) x 340mm/13 3/8"(W) x 200mm/7 7/8"(H)
WEIGHT: 18kg/40(net);20kg-45LBS(shipping)
INCLUDES 1 SET OF ISOL-PADS ....
WARRANTY- 1 YEAR PARTS AND LABOR - 90 DAYS TUBES

YOU MAY TUBE ROLL AND USE EL-34'S OR 6550 TUBES ..

Speakers
Mini Monitor v3 Specifications

Design

2-driver, 2-way bass reflex, quasi-3rd-order resistive port, bookshelf / stand-mounted

Crossover

3rd-order electro-acoustic at 2.0kHz

Frequency Response On-Axis

±2dB from 56 Hz - 20 kHz

Frequency Response 30° Off-Axis

±2dB from 56 Hz - 18 kHz

High Frequency Driver

25-mm (1 in) PTD™ dome

Mid/Bass Frequency Driver

165-mm (6-1/2 in) ICP™ cone, die-cast chassis

Low Frequency Extension

40 Hz (DIN)

Sensitivity Room / Anechoic

90 dB / 87 dB

Impedance

Compatible with 8 ohms

Suitable Amplifier Power Range

15 - 100 watts

Maximum Input Power

80 watts

Finishes

Light Cherry, Dark Cherry, Black Ash

Weight

32 lbs. (14.5 kg)

Dimensions HxWxD

13.5" × 8" × 12.25"
(34.3cm × 20.3cm × 31.1cm)

I would say so and you also might want to try out the amps 4ohm speaker taps as well.
Hi thanks for the reply! What would be the benefits or effects of using the 4ohm taps?

I'd say yes. The efficiency of your speakers are the same as mine and the amps wattage is the same as that of my tube amp

Do you mind me asking how much the amp set you back? It looks nice and child proof to me. I need to start thinking about that :)

Congratulations!

Steve Monte designs and builds some great sounding gear. I have heard all his amps and tube CD player as well as all his high efficiency speakers. Good repair house also if you are near Philly.

Not too familiar with tube electronics I'm not 100% certain if the usual power/output calculation applies so someone feel free to correct me if it doesn't ;)

..but assuming it does, your speaker sensitivity is the volume you can get with just 1 Watt of power. To add +3db you need to double the power. So you can calculate the maximum volume your amp will give you like that and see if it's suitable.

In your case:
1W = 90db
2W = 93db
4W = 96db
8W = 99db
16W = 102db
32W = 105db
64W = 108db

So your amp should get you up to ~106-107db. You'll also see that even a much less powerful amp would do a pretty reasonable job.

Considering extended listening over say 85db is in hearing damage territory, the only thing you even need volumes over that level for is handling the peaks in songs with really high dynamic range. Even then if you do listen quite loud at around ~85db, that still gives you room for > 20db peaks.

If you're someone that listens at a more standard ~70-75db, or even someone who listens at a quieter ~60db or so, then even a 2W or 4W amp would probably be plenty for your needs. Although it's good to have a little extra juice to avoid clipping the speakers.

Not too familiar with tube electronics I'm not 100% certain if the usual power/output calculation applies so someone feel free to correct me if it doesn't ;)

..but assuming it does, your speaker sensitivity is the volume you can get with just 1 Watt of power. To add +3db you need to double the power. So you can calculate the maximum volume your amp will give you like that and see if it's suitable.

In your case:
1W = 90db
2W = 93db
4W = 96db
8W = 99db
16W = 102db
32W = 105db
64W = 108db

So your amp should get you up to ~106-107db. You'll also see that even a much less powerful amp would do a pretty reasonable job.

Considering extended listening over say 85db is in hearing damage territory, the only thing you even need volumes over that level for is handling the peaks in songs with really high dynamic range. Even then if you do listen quite loud at around ~85db, that still gives you room for > 20db peaks.

If you're someone that listens at a more standard ~70-75db, or even someone who listens at a quieter ~60db or so, then even a 2W or 4W amp would probably be plenty for your needs. Although it's good to have a little extra juice to avoid clipping the speakers.

Very interesting information that :)

I've also found that the more sensitive the speakers, the more likely you are to experience hum although you do get greater detail and transparency. Certainly true of my second set of speakers (Dayton PS220-8 full rangers)

Back
Top Bottom