Does The Absolute Sound Do Bad Reviews?

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯ `· .¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>‏

Read between the lines, read because you enjoy the writer, read to glean a few key facts that you were unaware of, read it in context...Be a responsible reader, or don't read and remain in your own microcosm, stop being doormats, and I would recommend, stop complaining about it. As a reader you have a responsibility, it is an active role. But if your are expecting someone else (when money is involved) to be your best friend and tell you the truth (whatever that is) and the way you want to hear it, no magazine on the planet is going to do that for you, not even playboy.

I will read AS, SP, HF+, AR and enjoy all of them and find them all somewhat entertaining and helpful. And I miss my favorite Hifi rag of all time, The Listener!

Happy (post AK Fest) Listening!:beatnik:

This thread got resurrected after more than a year. We now have a magazine forum, so I moved it, even though some of what's in here shouldn't be allowed under the Magazine Forum Rules.

Now, I'm off to read the new issue of Stereophile...

I was back reading some of the strong observations in the past threads. It seems to me that evolution is really slow and very painful, even for modern audiophiles.

Coincidentally, I was listening to my low-fi iPod while doing so and the following tune came up to serenade me... and as it so often happens, it seemed to somehow fit. Maybe it is just me and my tangential reasoning and yet this tune was so spot on, so apropo...

Words are flowing out like
Endless rain into a paper cup
They slither wildly as they slip away across the universe.
Pools of sorrow waves of joy
Are drifting through my opened mind
Possessing and caressing me.

Nothing's gonna change my world

Happy <))))) Listening!

Same here. It's funny how most Aker's love to bash the hi-fi magazines, and the editors and reviewers of those magazines often have decades of listening experience with a breadth of equipment that I'd bet is much wider than what the average AK member has heard. And the accusations about them catering to advertisers is are old and tired, IMO. Why are people so surprised that expensive, new components sound great? Paranoia, there's lots of it in the hi-fi community.

Lots of people have complained to both TAS and Stereophile (I subscribe to both) about the over-abundance of very high-end equipment reviews. I can understand that, but, especially in the case of TAS, the point is to talk about and review cutting edge technology first and foremost. I get a kick out of reading reviews of things I'll never be able to afford, at least - like the Scarlatti. Part of that is because I know the trickle-down effect - or at least diminishing value of used equipment - means that some day I'll be able to own something that sounds like that.

Give a man a keyboard and a a thrift store receiver, preferably silver, and SHAZAM...instant expert...Whatever
I dig these periodicals as well. They are fun to read and I can identify with the sense of like mindedness in terms of passion and vernacular.

Love these reviews for the following reason: while reading the "expert's" detailed interpretation of a $50,000 speaker's sonic characteristics, while hooked up through a $30,000 amplifier, a $5,000 cart on a $20,000 turntable, all connected with about $15,000 worth of cables, and played back in a wonderfully arranged and tuned listening environment, it puts a wide smile on my face :D when listening to my favorite vinyl :music: realizing that I can hear my very modest system ($4,000 total) reproduce many of the very things stated in his (or her) review. All I gotta do is spend some time and tweak and mod here and there and I am, for the most part, enjoying one of the best audio systems available.

Ain't life grand :thmbsp:

Read between the lines, read because you enjoy the writer, read to glean a few key facts that you were unaware of, read it in context...Be a responsible reader, or don't read and remain in your own microcosm, stop being doormats, and I would recommend, stop complaining about it. As a reader you have a responsibility, it is an active role. But if your are expecting someone else (when money is involved) to be your best friend and tell you the truth (whatever that is) and the way you want to hear it, no magazine on the planet is going to do that for you, not even playboy.

Excellent advice. I read Stereophile, TAS, Tone Audio and a couple of UK mags. I find them entertaining, and I take everything written with a grain (or two) of salt.

Love these reviews for the following reason: while reading the "expert's" detailed interpretation of a $50,000 speaker's sonic characteristics, while hooked up through a $30,000 amplifier, a $5,000 cart on a $20,000 turntable, all connected with about $15,000 worth of cables, and played back in a wonderfully arranged and tuned listening environment, it puts a wide smile on my face :D when listening to my favorite vinyl :music: realizing that I can hear my very modest system ($4,000 total) reproduce many of the very things stated in his (or her) review. All I gotta do is spend some time and tweak and mod here and there and I am, for the most part, enjoying one of the best audio systems available.

The law of diminishing returns does favor those of us who don't have mega-buck systems, I think.

The law of diminishing returns does favor those of us who don't have mega-buck systems, I think.

It never hurts to be exposed to what is possible, though, whether it be in audition or through reading about what others like. I have no need for a $100,000 stereo, and no means to get one, but I think that hearing that stuff can give an excellent benchmark for what can be approximated or even sometimes equaled with a different approach.

It never hurts to be exposed to what is possible, though, whether it be in audition or through reading about what others like. I have no need for a $100,000 stereo, and no means to get one, but I think that hearing that stuff can give an excellent benchmark for what can be approximated or even sometimes equaled with a different approach.

I agree 100%:thmbsp:

Ok, to answer a thread topic with another thread topic... read John's thread on "TAS Amplifier Designers Roundtable" and then come back to answer the topic of this thread...Ok, so it's not a product review, but it is a review of sorts. :D

Happy Listening!

Last edited:

For some it's four grand and for some it's one hundred and fifteen grand (I'm in between) and we haven't even started buying records yet! Yes, life is grand!

Happy Listening!:beatnik:

publishers, reviewers, manufacturers, circle jerk

Seems that way at times, eh?:yes: I accept the fact that I can't afford 99% of everything reviewed and rely on my ears and the general consensus of folks like who listen here. The Sony XDRF1-HD came home long before the crush occurred, and I attribute that to those here that contributed to a years-long thread extolling its virtues. Gotta keep your eyes as well as your ears open!:yes::thmbsp:

I went to the Newport Beach audio show a coupe of weeks ago and spent a day and half there.

I had a chance to listen as well as talk with a number of manufactures and even spent some one on one time with a couple of the major audio publishers.

One of the many take aways I took back from the show was just how small and insular the audio industry is.

Audio publications are somewhat different than most other publications.
Their advertising income comes from nothing but audio products. There are no advertisements for cars, watches, clothing, alcohol, travel or sneakers. It’s audio equipment only, nothing from outside of the industry. The audio publications are as much a part of audio the industry as golf clubs are to golf.

I see no way that any of their reviews could possibly not be swayed in some way due to their unique relationship in industry.

I'm not saying they don't serve a purpose to the consumer, but any reviews and editorial comments from them must be taken (for me anyway) with the above in mind.

FWIW - I had a great time at show learned a lot, heard some truly fantastic systems and took some pictures with new camera. Will plan on going again next year.

Last edited:

One of the many take aways I took back from the show was just how small and insular the audio industry is.

Audio publications are somewhat different than most other publications.
Their advertising income comes from nothing but audio products. There are no advertisements for cars, watches, clothing, alcohol, travel or sneakers. It’s audio equipment only, nothing from outside of the industry. The audio publications are as much a part of audio the industry as golf clubs are to golf.

I see no way that any of their reviews could possibly not be swayed in some way due to their unique relationship in industry.

I'm not saying they don't serve a purpose to the consumer, but any reviews and editorial comments from them must be taken (for me anyway) with the above in mind.

Understood, and I would agree somewhat, it is a consideration. Does it let us off the hook for being responsible readers? Personally, I don't think so.

And a bigger question in my mind, given our (owner/writers/retailers) shared involvement in this very small microcosm, I wonder where we would be without the long standing rags that, I think, hold us together, keep us informed, and offer a general sense of community, and were here LONG before all the flawlessly accurate commentary offered so freely and unbiasedly, on our unlimited audio blogs??? Pick yer poison mate.

Happy Listening!:beatnik:

Back
Top Bottom