Does the weather affect FM pre-sets?

brian222

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
All summer I'd lock in 4 stations. Next day all are gone. This month loaded same 4 about 3 weeks ago and this morning all are there.

I'm not a 100% sure about what you are asking. Yes, weather can and will affect your RECEPTION of those 4 stations. If you're saying your tuner dumped the presets, then NO, weather is not an issue - unless you had a power blip during a storm and your tuner lost them due to that.

I'm not a 100% sure about what you are asking. Yes, weather can and will affect your RECEPTION of those 4 stations. If you're saying your tuner dumped the presets, then NO, weather is not an issue - unless you had a power blip during a storm and your tuner lost them due to that.
Yes it dumped them in summer. Not in October. No power outage. Thanks.

All summer I'd lock in 4 stations. Next day all are gone. This month loaded same 4 about 3 weeks ago and this morning all are there.

Yes. Although what you are describing seems backwards. Usually in the fall/winter reception tends to be BETTER due to less leaf coverage and lower humidity etc....

Some tuners use batteries (rechargable or not), other big capacitors, other static RAM to store the stations.
What is the tuner?

Dumping stations depending on weather could mean it is related to humidity. Or maybe it is on the way out (battery or capacitor) and responds to temperature.

Not unusual for a tuner to drift some, and sometimes difficult to say why. I'd think that's the issue with all the stations drifting, especially if they all drift the same amount up or down ...

I know that it's been an interesting couple months up here in the great white, with 80+F one day, and tickling freezing the next.

Some tuners use batteries (rechargable or not), other big capacitors, other static RAM to store the stations.
What is the tuner?

Dumping stations depending on weather could mean it is related to humidity. Or maybe it is on the way out (battery or capacitor) and responds to temperature.
Teac AG360.

Not unusual for a tuner to drift some, and sometimes difficult to say why. I'd think that's the issue with all the stations drifting, especially if they all drift the same amount up or down ...

I know that it's been an interesting couple months up here in the great white, with 80+F one day, and tickling freezing the next.
There is no drifting. I put a station in using the memory button. Next day it's not there.

OK then ... maybe a bad backup battery. Some equipment uses a capacitive battery built into the board for that, and they can be kinda hard to spot. Time to like, read the book?

Example - here's one on my EQ (ON1) ... devil of a time figuring out why it wouldn't store programs ...

BSR-14-14XR-Battery.jpg

It would work for a while if I used it regularly, but drain fast if I let it go for a week or so without turning it on.

From the service manual...

Vdd2 is the RAM data back up power input. It appears that C505 is the backup capacitor. Monitor the voltage at the cathode end of D521 with the power on and then off. It should stay about the same.

upload_2018-10-31_19-39-59.png

Back
Top Bottom