Does using the pre-outs on an avr to hook up an external amp lighten the load on the avr?

HiFiJeff

So I am contemplating getting a stereo amplifier to run the left and right tower speakers I have and let the remaining 3 channels in the avr run the center and two surrounds. My question is this. If I set up the crossover point for the center and surrounds to 80-100hz and lower on the towers at 40 or 60, is the AVR still running easy because of the external amp or am I still pushing all 5 channels of it?

If you're using the preamp level outputs for the front channels you're definitely taking a load of your receiver's power amp section. The sub is already taking some of the load.

If you're using the preamp level outputs for the front channels you're definitely taking a load of your receiver's power amp section. The sub is already taking some of the load.

Good. Thats the plan. I am hooking up the TPA 3118 this weekend but separate from my AVR system, might go with an amp from Audio by Van Alstine for the two channels on the left and right. Center channel and Subs are next though. I was told by someone at a high end audio store that by using a two channel amp for the left and rights will help a lot with powering the center channel from the avr's amp. Gt a lot cleaner sound. I guess he was right. :)

So I am contemplating getting a stereo amplifier to run the left and right tower speakers I have and let the remaining 3 channels in the avr run the center and two surrounds. My question is this. If I set up the crossover point for the center and surrounds to 80-100hz and lower on the towers at 40 or 60, is the AVR still running easy because of the external amp or am I still pushing all 5 channels of it?
I use my setup that way. I have a Yamaha RXZ-1 for home theater duty and am using my Aragon 4004mkii pulling 2ch duty on my Vandersteen 2ce signature ii's and a Velodyne Hgs 12 for the ultra low end. It all works extremely well and sounds much better setup with the Aragon than when I just used the yamaha even though the yamaha is no slouch.

Audiofreak71

Last edited:
Assuming you're using the external amp to replace the internal am for the front mains, yes they do, That will free up the receiver's internal power supply to feed the remaining internal amps in the receiver. It might not be a "night and day" improvement but it will allow them to provide a bit more clean power.

Back
Top Bottom