Doing a full range speaker for my first build. What driver and box?

The nice thing with the old Denon AVR powering the Alphas woofers is I was able to feed it a digital signal from the CDP while simultaneously feeding the MW the CDP's analog signal. No preamp was needed and I even had remote control of the woofers.

I still would like to hear the betsy. I did message wildburro again. Waiting on a response... Those zigmahornets look pretty darn interesting aswell. Though I wonder if using 3/4 plywood would perform better?

I've driven the Fostex Frugal Horn MkIII with a MW with good results. They image like crazy but need a sub and corner loading helps. They won't produce the large seductive sound stage and ambience of the OB Betsy's but will give a little more detail.

P3040011.jpg

I've been spending free time looking for the perfect way to attach my OB's legs ie; no screws showing. And wires are also going to be a problem. Looks like I'll be going under the house to run some more speaker wire.

I've been spending free time looking for the perfect way to attach my OB's legs ie; no screws showing. And wires are also going to be a problem. Looks like I'll be going under the house to run some more speaker wire.

Make sure you leave enough speaker wire to move them around the room. I move mine so much I've thought of adding castors.

Good point thanks. absolon, thank's for the ling, it's bookmarked. Probably way above my woodworking skill level. Not sure if a 4" fullrange would do the job. Room is 17x27

Last edited:
This morning I pulled the trigger and bought the mark audio 6inch alpair 10m. It has good reviews and I like the simple but good looking cabinet pencil 10.3 More than I was planning on spending but I wanted to give single driver full range a good shot! I will be posting the build :)

Donny,

I think you will like the Alpair 10.3! I couldn't resist ordering a pair last fall when they were on sale for $70 each at Madisound. I plan to put them in BIBs, but have them breaking in slowly per Mark Fenlon's recommendation in 0.25 ft3 cardboard boxes ('sealed', as much as is possible). I think gentle break-in is critical, as I heard a pair that were not treated carefully & they sounded damaged.

Here they are sitting next to my old Fonkens prime. Even in cardboard & sitting on the floor they sound nice!

Attachments

• A-10-3.jpg
    A-10-3.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 18
Donny,

I think you will like the Alpair 10.3! I couldn't resist ordering a pair last fall when they were on sale for $70 each at Madisound. I plan to put them in BIBs, but have them breaking in slowly per Mark Fenlon's recommendation in 0.25 ft3 cardboard boxes ('sealed', as much as is possible). I think gentle break-in is critical, as I heard a pair that were not treated carefully & they sounded damaged.

Here they are sitting next to my old Fonkens prime. Even in cardboard & sitting on the floor they sound nice!
I hope so. I did a lot of reading on the forums and reviews. I tried to pick a winner! I didn't know about the sealed box break in. That's good to know. I will start on that as soon as they make it to me :)

Donny,

The sealed box isn't a requirement for break-in. Low volumes with bass-light music is. Here is what Mark Fenlon has to say about breaking in his drivers:

Please run in the latest Markaudio drivers:

1 - First 100 hours - low volume music only. The music should be general/vocals with modest bass. Please don't use any artificial and/or single tone signal signals this risks creating a memory pattern in the outer 7 to 10 micron cone substrate. You can run the drivers in free air or near free air, but pay attention to the physical movement, the driver's power-train should not move more than 1mm.

2 - From 100 hours to 300 hours, gradually increase the load to normal listening levels. Typically and depending on room size, the volumes should be around low 80's dB near constant loads with peak loads not exceeding 86dB. For those without any SPL measuring equipment, set your system to moderate listening levels. You should be able to hold a conversation without raising your voice while the drivers are being run.

3 - From 300 hours out, the driver's power-train will enter its optimal load phase on its suspensions. Markaudio driver suspensions are critical components as they have to cope with long-throw demands of the cone/coil. I recommend some care from 300 to 500 hours as fully optimised suspensions will give you many years of reliable service life. Bass loads are available but go a little easy on the volume until passed 500 hours.

Remember fellas, Markaudio drivers are "long throw" light load units. They will give you allot of wide usable band width but they aren't designed for near constant maxed volume "rock un roll". The latest models have built-in arrestors to help avoid damage from accidental over-load, so this helps but its not a replacement for commence sense operation of these types of drivers, be they Markaudio or other full-rangers.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Mark.

Well that give me plenty of time to build the cabs. 500 hours wow. Thanks for the info. I will start another thread when I get started on the cabs :)

The reason I've never tried any of the Mark Audio drivers is that most aren't SET friendly. The Alpair 10.3 is only 87.9 dbs.

If you're planning on using the APPJ/Miniwatt it will struggle. You need speakers that are 93 dbs and above.

Last edited:
The reason I've never tried any of the Mark Audio drivers is that most aren't SET friendly. The Alpair 10.3 is only 87.9 dbs.

If you're planning on using the APPJ/Miniwatt it will struggle. You need speakers that are 93 dbs and above.
That is a concern. I did try the mini watt on some 89db and it did well. :)

I wasn't thinking about ohms... Oh well they are mine now. I do have other amps. If I like the single driver full range thing. I can always buy another pair.

Back
Top Bottom