Doing my homework for a preamp, C-32-33-34

You'll love it more and more! My C30 is a keeper, I'm hooked on variable loudness and that five band equalizer. Have you tried the built-in 20 watt "monitor" amp?

I haven't tried connecting speakers to it yet. I was mostly interested to check the SUT and see how the TT sounded.
Just about all my systems have had EQs. They are great for tailoring sound for a specific environment or media source.
So far I really like it.

So do you guys know if the LED kits on eBay for the 32, 36, and 38 will work in the 34?

I listened to this for a couple hours, and so far so good!
Definitely warmer sounding than the Carver 4000t it will replace. I'd say compared to my JVC P-L10, the 10 is just a tad crisper in the highs, all tone settings set flat.
I like the 34 a lot. I didn't really get to crank it as my wife was working on a freelance project, so I'm looking forward to putting it through it's paces.

Thanks Glenn; It's all your fault that I just tried out yet another non Mac amp with my other Mac pre. I'm going to start a thread on that one and offer up damacman an apology........he was right much to my chagrin:(
Read that. Sometimes it's hard to accept a much cheaper unit can sound as good as higher end gear.

Read that. Sometimes it's hard to accept a much cheaper unit can sound as good as higher end gear.
Indeed; I had to eat a little crow on that one........I still haven't gotten it through my head how a $600 amp can better a $3,800 one.:oops:

Indeed; I had to eat a little crow on that one........I still haven't gotten it through my head how a $600 amp can better a $3,800 one.:oops:

Can't figure out if you are "fishin" for possible answers or "trolling" for controversy......

Can't figure out if you are "fishin" for possible answers or "trolling" for controversy......
haha no trolling or controversy here. After several hours of listening yesterday I'm just incredibly surprised and quite disappointed by the outcome.

All you need to do is work on a McIntosh sales floor for 6 months and you will surely get your first "My McIntosh system sounds like **** (insert 4 letter exclamation of your choice here)!

To let this thread get back on track to the OPs journey for a preamp I would be happy to post some of my all time favorites, a hit parade of sorts, of various issues that have cropped up over the years keeping premium systems from not performing at their best, in your first posting......

I did did more listening and noticed a fair amount of noise, and a slight bit of hum with the TT/SUT. Removed the SUT, noise gone and with the LOMC, just needed to increase the volume a bit, otherwise sounds great. So a SUT is not absolutely necessary with a LOMC on this pre amp.

So I closed the deal and am the happy new owner!
This amp is virtually physically mint! Have the original owners manual and some other paper. I'm the 3rd owner. Original owner had replaced the glass.
So a couple things were revealed during testing.

The 2 video/aux settings output on the right channel is about half of the left channel. TV and phono sound perfect.
The SUT introduced hum and some distortions & hiss, so removed it. LMC cart sounds great, just need to turn up the volume a couple clicks.

I'd like to update to LED's. The kits on fleabay seem overpriced, who do you gents recommend for these and what volt?

Thanks for all the help and encouragement through the process!
Glenn

So I closed the deal and am the happy new owner!
This amp is virtually physically mint! Have the original owners manual and some other paper. I'm the 3rd owner. Original owner had replaced the glass.
So a couple things were revealed during testing.

The 2 video/aux settings output on the right channel is about half of the left channel. TV and phono sound perfect.
The SUT introduced hum and some distortions & hiss, so removed it. LMC cart sounds great, just need to turn up the volume a couple clicks.

I'd like to update to LED's. The kits on fleabay seem overpriced, who do you gents recommend for these and what volt?

Thanks for all the help and encouragement through the process!
Glenn

Congratulations on the new piece, Glenn!

The stock bulbs are 8610 (6.3 volt) type. AK member Dgwojo offers a 4mm 8 volt LED with wired leads. I switched over to these earlier this year and they work well . Keep in mind that the illumination is not as consistent when using LED's due to them being more directional that the regular bulbs so the resulting look is a bit different.

The stock bulbs are 8610 (6.3 volt) type. AK member Dgwojo offers a 4mm 8 volt LED with wired leads. I switched over to these earlier this year and they work well . Keep in mind that the illumination is not as consistent when using LED's due to them being more directional that the regular bulbs so the resulting look is a bit different.

That can be true. I have an MC502 that a previous owner switched to LED lighting, and I notice the mildly uneven lighting. I imagine some simple diffusing material could fix that. Whenever I have reason to open the case, I’ll give that a try.

Based on all the comments here regarding LED dispersion, I think I'm going to retain all stock lighting in my McIntosh units except for the meter illumination of the MC2125s & MC2155 which I absolutely recommend to be changed to blue LEDs.

Congratulations on the new piece, Glenn!

Thanks jeffs for the bulb info! It's lovely piece.
The reason i was thinking to go the LED route is because my MC502/C504 are both brighter.
I'd love to see some pics of someones unit with the LED conversion, I would guess some thin silver reflective board could be used to diffuse the lighting. Being LEDs, heat shouldn't be a problem.
What ever I end up doing, I'm not in a rush.

Now what about the uneven out put on the two Video/Aux sections? Simple Deoxit cleaning, or tech work needed?

Thanks again, Glenn

Thanks jeffs for the bulb info! It's lovely piece.
The reason i was thinking to go the LED route is because my MC502/C504 are both brighter.
I'd love to see some pics of someones unit with the LED conversion, I would guess some thin silver reflective board could be used to diffuse the lighting. Being LEDs, heat shouldn't be a problem.
What ever I end up doing, I'm not in a rush.

Now what about the uneven out put on the two Video/Aux sections? Simple Deoxit cleaning, or tech work needed?

Thanks again, Glenn

Deoxit may solve your issue. Start with the input selector and see how it goes. Input switching is done with JFET's & I've never encountered a problem with them - but I've only worked on a fraction of the units that the more experienced techs here have.

The LED's are not as bright as the incandescent bulb. There is a diffuser behind the glass face plate. Perhaps something could be done with that. Some light sanding to the LED may help but I think that would lessen the brightness even more.

I've added a pic but I'm not sure how helpful it will be. You can sort of see the uneven lighting along the top row - "Listen", Mode Selector" & "EQ Frequency". I'll see if I can get you a better pic later.

Attachments

• led 1.jpg
    led 1.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 30
Deoxit may solve your issue. Start with the input selector and see how it goes. Input switching is done with JFET's & I've never encountered a problem with them - but I've only worked on a fraction of the units that the more experienced techs here have.

The LED's are not as bright as the incandescent bulb. There is a diffuser behind the glass face plate. Perhaps something could be done with that. Some light sanding to the LED may help but I think that would lessen the brightness even more.

I've added a pic but I'm not sure how helpful it will be. You can sort of see the uneven lighting along the top row - "Listen", Mode Selector" & "EQ Frequency". I'll see if I can get you a better pic later.
Thanks jeffs!
I see the uneven lighting. Nice setup there!
I'll try a few shots of Deoxit on those inputs and see if it improves.
Cheers, Glenn

I've been really liking the 34. Mated to the JVC-M7050 power amp sounds great. So far, all tone settings flat. No lack of details in the highs or voices in the mids, bass is nice and punchy through the ADS L980's.
I nice investment in my system and probably won't be looking for any other pre's.
Thanks again guys for all your help and advice.

I will open it up and give the selector pot some deoxit and clean out any dust, eventually! Just enjoying it for a while!

Back
Top Bottom