Dolby Atmos and DTS-X confusion. Does the player or the AVR do the decoding? Or both do?

Your Pioneer looks like it has the Atmos and DTS-X decoding covered. So, you should be able to just connect a HDMI cable, from your Blu-Ray player, and get the decoding you need. Hopefully, your player supports those formats? Also, I believe you need 4K Blu-Ray discs, for Atmos to be present in the mix.

I've been wanting to pick up a Sony UBP-X800 player. It's a transport, with no internal DAC's, but it does support most all formats, video and audio. As long as the AVR is up to snuff?

Okay, so I just purchased a Pioneer VSX-LX102, which I love.

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Elite+Receivers/VSX-LX102

Here is my question. Do I also have to purchase a 4K player that decodes Atmos and DTS-X or is that all done by the Pioneer?
Any Blu-ray player will be fine. .
My 501 Elite is just like your 102 with bigger Amplifiers...
Easy to use and very good choice!

I did get the
Sony - UBP-X800 4K player

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-u...-blu-ray-player-black/5748620.p?skuId=5748620

But I also have regular Sony Blu Ray players from 2007 the BDP S300 and the 2008 model BDP S550 & they work perfectly on my Pioneer Elite surround sound from 2009 also.

The Atmos decoding is All Handled Automatically by the Receiver.

Just know that when you Setup your movie choose from the Languages because most movie's have choices for DTS or regular 7.1 or 5.1 or Dolby Atmos. ..
Or French or Spanish etc

Your Pioneer looks like it has the Atmos and DTS-X decoding covered. So, you should be able to just connect a HDMI cable, from your Blu-Ray player, and get the decoding you need. Hopefully, your player supports those formats? Also, I believe you need 4K Blu-Ray discs, for Atmos to be present in the mix.

I've been wanting to pick up a Sony UBP-X800 player. It's a transport, with no internal DAC's, but it does support most all formats, video and audio. As long as the AVR is up to snuff?

Yes, the Pioneer does but that is why I posted the question. I was told by Crutchfield that the player has to support those formats as well.

Any Blu-ray player will be fine. .
My 501 Elite is just like your 102 with bigger Amplifiers...
Easy to use and very good choice!

I did get the
Sony - UBP-X800 4K player

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-u...-blu-ray-player-black/5748620.p?skuId=5748620

But I also have regular Sony Blu Ray players from 2007 the BDP S300 and the 2008 model BDP S550 & they work perfectly on my Pioneer Elite surround sound from 2009 also.

The Atmos decoding is All Handled Automatically by the Receiver.

Just know that when you Setup your movie choose from the Languages because most movie's have choices for DTS or regular 7.1 or 5.1 or Dolby Atmos. ..
Or French or Spanish etc

Yeah, I LOVE this Pioneer. It's a VERY good unit. I really needed 9 channels of amplification but I wanted to get my theater room up and running and bought this for a whopping $249 from accessories4less.com
Steal IMO. And I will move up to the bigger Pioneer with more channels and pre-outs so I can use the HT bypass mode on an analog two channel pre I am going to buy.

According to Crutchfield, your existing player should be fine.

"USE YOUR EXISTING BLU-RAY PLAYER

You won't need to buy a new Blu-ray player to enjoy Dolby Atmos content. Current and recent models will be able to transmit these soundtracks to your receiver via an HDMI cable. Even with older Blu-ray discs, Dolby Atmos setups can offer new levels of depth and excitement, for sound that truly surrounds you.

Look for Blu-ray discs with Dolby Atmos soundtracks. These discs will also include other surround sound formats like Dolby TrueHD for use with older receivers and surround systems.

For Dolby Atmos playback, set your Blu-ray player to bitstream out and disable secondary audio."

Though, 4K Blu-Ray discs seem to offer more discs with Dolby Atmos encoding, than standard Blu-Ray. So, for that reason, it might be worthwhile to have a 4K player, if interested in Atmos and DTS-X.

This is the BD player I was looking at but was told it was NOT going to decode Atmos.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/blu-ray_players/bd-a1060/features.html

The 1060 may predate Atmos and DTS-X. But, that doesn't mean it can't stream those formats, over HDMI, to your new Pioneer. It's just these recent (but slightly older) players don't specifically mention Atmos and DTS-X, so it's confusing if they'll work with new formats. But, as long as the Pioneer receives the correct digital codec, from the player, it should have no issues with decoding what you need. If you already have the Yamaha 1060, try it. If not, I'd still suggest the Sony UBP-X800.

The 1060 may predate Atmos and DTS-X. But, that doesn't mean it can't stream those formats, over HDMI, to your new Pioneer. It's just these recent (but slightly older) players don't specifically mention Atmos and DTS-X, so it's confusing if they'll work with new formats. But, as long as the Pioneer receives the correct digital codec, from the player, it should have no issues with decoding what you need. If you already have the Yamaha 1060, try it. If not, I'd still suggest the Sony UBP-X800.

Does that player play SACD via HDMI?

Does that player play SACD via HDMI?
The Sony UBP-X700 will play SACD. The UBP-X800 and UBP-X1000ES will play SACD and DVD-Audio discs as well. The X1000ES is the only one of the three players that has analog audio outputs, two-channel stereo only.

Back
Top Bottom