Dollars & Sense Forum RULES: EVERY member read this BEFORE you post!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fisherdude

Regular Dude
Subscriber
With the influx of thousands of new members, there is a clear need for an update on the purpose of the Dollars & Sense Forum… what it is and what it isn’t.

Primary purpose:
To provide a forum for the discussion of values of audio/video and related equipment.

Other permitted topics:
The discussion of the process of buying and selling, including methods of payment, and the resolution of disputes.
Posting of links to auctions, either for the purpose of asking questions about the item being sold, or to let other AK members know about an item in which they might be interested.

Primary prohibition:
ANY discussion or mention whatsoever, no matter how subtle, of anything that you intend to sell, or anything in which you have any involvement is absolutely forbidden. As in every AK forum, off-topic rants, thread-crapping, and showing lack of respect for other members will not be tolerated.

Just to make sure there is no misunderstanding: THIS IS NOT EBAY. If the only reason you’re here is to attempt to drum up interest in things you want to sell, or to get information about things you want to sell, and you have no personal interest in the love of music or the equipment used to play music, leave now.

Examples of questions of value:
“Does anybody have any idea what my Fisher 500C might be worth?” Perfectly OK. It's perfectly ok because it doesn't say WHY you want to know.

“Does anybody have any idea what my Fisher 500C might be worth, because…
…I don’t need it.”
…I’m a solid-state guy.”
…I have two.”
…it clashes with the drapes.”
…or any other comment that even remotely implies: “I might be/could be/thinking about/considering selling it…” will result in the thread being deleted immediately.

However, we understand that sometimes a member has two different receivers, or speakers, and is looking for input as to which one is better. In that case, asking: "Which one has the better sound...which one is more valuable...which one is a better match for my JBL L100's, etc., etc.." is ok, as long as you DON'T say: "...and I'm going to sell the other one.".

Main point, and keep it in mind: It's perfectly ok to ask for input as to what something is worth, just DO NOT say why you want to know.

Auction links:
Any post that contains a link to any current eBay, CraigsList, or Audiogon auction must go in D&S. Any time you post a link to an auction you must state: "Not mine.", or “I have no affiliation with this auction.” If it turns out that the auction is for an item that you/your neighbor/your boss/your idiot brother-in-law or anybody else you know has any involvement with whatsoever, the consequences will be severe. Don’t shill your stuff here.

You may post a link to an auction because:
You’re curious as to the item’s value, desirability, sound quality, whether or not it has all its original parts, etc.
You would simply like to give other members a “heads-up” about an interesting item.

Buying & Selling:
Questions about the process of buying, selling, or paying are welcome! How to list, how to take good photographs, how to write interesting text, how to pay, how to receive payment, or how to deal with difficulties in these areas are permitted topics for discussion threads in D&S. For questions about packing and shipping items, please see the Packing & Shipping Forum.

Threads complaining about an eBay transaction gone bad are not permitted. Unless you have a calm, rational question to ask, don’t post a whine. Any questions about a problem with an actual transaction must NOT contain any details that might allow the transaction to be identified. Under no circumstances may you use any post in AK for the purpose of attempting to directly confront the other party in any transaction. There's a very good reason why we don't allow the airing of eBay disputes...there's a 50/50 chance the problem is you.

Anti-eBay or anti-PayPal rants are forbidden. Don’t like ‘em, don’t use ‘em. If you have a question about eBay, or you would like to answer a question and you have personal experience or knowledge of the topic, chime in. If your post sounds like “PayPal sucks, eBay screws its sellers, and anybody who uses either one is a moron”, don’t bother.

Topics that have been beaten to death, and we’re done with them:
Complaining about eBay buyers who use sniping programs, or complaining about sniping in general.
Complaining that your local thrift store or charitable organization store is too expensive and/or never has anything interesting.
Complaining about sellers who find out what their item is really worth before you have the opportunity to make your “score”.
Complaining about “flippers”.

In closing:
While it may seem that there are more “don’ts” than anything else, that is most definitely not the intention.

There are very good reasons why D&S is one of the most visited, most popular forums in AK. Do you still own the only piece of audio gear you’re ever had? Neither do I. We all like to try something new, experiment with different receivers or amplifiers, just try something else for a change. That frequently generates the need to “thin the herd” or else your basement will start to look like mine. Don’t ask!

It’s perfectly understandable to want to know what something is worth, whether you’re buying or selling. You just need to understand and to accept one important fact about the Dollars & Sense Forum:

“The place to buy and sell is NOT here in D&S!”

If you would like to use AK to help you sell something or buy something, please use the Barter Town Forum which is available to you if you become a Subscriber.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact the Forum Moderator by private message.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom