Don't drink 'n' fix ! (now i'm in trouble) !

pauld

Hi everyone.

I have a little bit of a problem - I have an SX880 that i am fixing up. Got a service manual and as reported earlier it was tripping the protection relay so with the aid of the manual i thought i'd check the DC balance and idle current. They measured way over the 30mV's advised in the service manual so i adjusted the unit to bring them into line and hey presto the tripping stopped.

Very pleased with myself i then went to the fridge and got myself a beer. Returning to the receiver i sat down to listen to some music all was fine - until i stood up to change the album - and in what must be a million to one shot a drop of condensation dripped from my glass and straight into the open receiver ! The result was a loud crack and a puff of blue smoke followed by silence.

The SX880 now appears to be dead. The main AC fuse had blown, also a link on the circuit board had blown so i replaced the link and the fuse. The main AC fuse continues to blow.

Anyone got any ideas ?

Paul.

That's reals bad news :cry: Think I can feel how you're now.
So take your lesson, and drink only in the living romm, sitting in front of your closed receiver. (That´s what I'm currently doing with my SX-980)
Back to your problem: Where did the drop fall? I think somewhere in the power amp section. If yes, probably one output is now blown. Check the power transistors and the drivers for shorts.

pauld said:
Hi everyone.

I have a little bit of a problem - I have an SX880 that i am fixing up. Got a service manual and as reported earlier it was tripping the protection relay so with the aid of the manual i thought i'd check the DC balance and idle current. They measured way over the 30mV's advised in the service manual so i adjusted the unit to bring them into line and hey presto the tripping stopped.

Very pleased with myself i then went to the fridge and got myself a beer. Returning to the receiver i sat down to listen to some music all was fine - until i stood up to change the album - and in what must be a million to one shot a drop of condensation dripped from my glass and straight into the open receiver ! The result was a loud crack and a puff of blue smoke followed by silence.

The SX880 now appears to be dead. The main AC fuse had blown, also a link on the circuit board had blown so i replaced the link and the fuse. The main AC fuse continues to blow.

Anyone got any ideas ?

Paul.

You learned a valuable lesson.

One lousy drop of condensation would do that?Wouldn't heat from the amp evaporate it? Geez I feel bad for you

Alan

Thanks for all the sympathetic comments - i was'nt even directly over the receiver ! But what do i do with it now?

I think agger had the right idea. I'd check the output transistors for shorts. Mainly I would do this becasue it's the only thing I know how to do. But I do know it's one of the things that will blow the power fuses.

I feel your pain Paul

I normally spill my beer on myself to avaoid that kind of thing, time to break out the meter, good luck.

I've knocked over a glass of red before on the bench, a good one too :cry:
Didn't spill it into anything, it just went Under Everything. If you have seen my bench (picture in a DIY thread somewhere on Show us Your workbench)
you would know that this would have been a major problem and major clean-up that would take hours :yikes:
Cheers
Tony

Tony75 said:
I've knocked over a glass of red before on the bench, a good one too :cry:
Didn't spill it into anything, it just went Under Everything. If you have seen my bench (picture in a DIY thread somewhere on Show us Your workbench)
you would know that this would have been a major problem and major clean-up that would take hours :yikes:
Cheers
Tony
... and a manual soaked with redwine is no good base for the future :drunk:

Back
Top Bottom