Don't Drive Your '59 Corvette To WalMart

Here in Fat Point, we have one of the most hit by cars post office in the country. They jump the curb and hit the pillars supporting the roof. We have an abundance of old people and bad drivers.

The Wal Mart is at the other end of the county.

It looks like the Corvette was fixable. I've seen it parked on the street by the old courthouse. The owner is back to alternating driving to work in the rebuilt Corvette and his Plymouth GTX.

Then there's the other extreme. I've been known to park up tight to the driver's door on one of those morons who figure they need to park their car diagonally across four spaces because it's so much better than yours ... <sniff!>
I did that at our family biz. Some old lady clearly couldn't read the No Parking signs on both of our buildings (ours, and the TV repair shop next door), and proceeded to park right smack dab in the middle of the lot, blocking in all sorts of cars (as well as the UPS and FedEx trucks that pulled up to our building)! I had my old '73 Catalina beater, and parked within an inch of her driver's door.

To add insult to injury, the attorney that rented out the front of the TV repair shop had a rather short-tempered older legal secretary working for him, and she proceeded to back into that poorly parked car several times as she angled to get out of her parking spot. Left all sorts of black scrapes from the rubber strip on her bumper. (This was back before cars were apparently made of tin foil as they are now.) Old Lady seemed a little disgusted when she left an hour or so later.

A couple of hours later, Old Lady shows up with Old Man in tow, to complain to...someone? All they got was the TV shop owner, a rather laid back older fellow, who calmly gestured towards our two No Parking signs a few times and shrugged his shoulders. :D

Yup ... park at your own risk!

Reason she didn't show up with the police in tow is that a lot of locals won't even take a call for a parking lot incident. Turn it in to your insurance company and hope for the best.

When my sister had her '79 Vette, she would park as far away from anyone as possible. Sure as Sh*t, someone would park next to her.

One night at a motel, my (then) wife and I spied a BMW parked by itself waaaay on the far side of the parking lot. We parked our rusty AMC as close to its drivers side as we could get, and went to bed.

One night at a motel, my (then) wife and I spied a BMW parked by itself waaaay on the far side of the parking lot. We parked our rusty AMC as close to its drivers side as we could get, and went to bed.

An excellent door ding guard...for your AMC.

Reason she didn't show up with the police in tow is that a lot of locals won't even take a call for a parking lot incident. Turn it in to your insurance company and hope for the best.
This was Grosse Pointe Woods. The cops would show up if a mosquito farted the wrong way in the wind. But there were no cops on the scene, since apparently nobody called them. ;)

Polar opposite of Detroit, where the cops never show up, except possibly maybe kinda sorta consider showing up if there's been a shooting.

Ha. You almost had me with that one.

Ha. You almost had me with that one.

Only almost? How about this one: A bunch of us were sitting in (by that time, EX-wife's car) when someone parked another car right beside us. The driver got out, hit my ex-wife's car with her door, and didn't even say "Sorry!" My ex, vindictive b____ that she was and is, had our daughter open her door and give the other car a good whacking, six whacks IIRC. She then quickly drove us to the other side of the nearby interstate where we would have a good view back at the parking lot. We waited until the woman came back out and a shout went up as she saw the whacks and made a body jerk we could see from our far-away vantage point.

Both incidents really happened.

Knowing the frames on this car if it is original it is most likely tweeked in a dozen ways. This will be a complete frame off restoration and if the frame is bent a lot it will be replaced with a updated frame taking the originality and tossing it straight in the toilet. They tend to rust at the rear wheels anyway so it may have been done already. The original frames are not the sturdiest so I would expect it.

Back
Top Bottom