Don't judge

Its not the instrument, its the experience. If the set up brings the music that you enjoy, then by all means. I wanted to re-start in this hobby with a much simpler system than I eventually ended up building. My problem is that I am an avid vintage turntable fan. Once I collected one piece, then everything fell into place like an avalanche. Its still fun, so enjoy your music anyway you can.

I came into this forum with the same feeling of unworthiness with my system. These guys here honestly will not judge. If you have questions, someone here can answer them. If you want advice, you'll find yourself swimming in advice. This is a great forum for everything audio.

Since I first showed up here my system has evolved. In fact I now have 2 systems. Still very modest compared to many here but it is mine and I love it. So, love the one you're with but if you want to expand or upgrade, this forum is a great place to help you on that journey.

I came into this forum with the same feeling of unworthiness with my system. These guys here honestly will not judge. If you have questions, someone here can answer them. If you want advice, you'll find yourself swimming in advice. This is a great forum for everything audio.

Since I first showed up here my system has evolved. In fact I now have 2 systems. Still very modest compared to many here but it is mine and I love it. So, love the one you're with but if you want to expand or upgrade, this forum is a great place to help you on that journey.
Well stated. Thanks so much!

No judgments on the gear... trippy wallpaper though.

When Oscar Wilde was sick and dying he was quoted as saying
“Either this wallpaper goes or I do”
I'm a Kenwood fanboy by the way, it's just a funny joke and I'm not making fun of your wonderful wallpaper.
Michael

Hey, most of us started out with pretty cheap stuff. My first system was a store demo HK 330B that didn't sound right until it went back to HK, a set of Realistic MC-1000 speakers, a Garrard turntable with a cheap Empire cartridge, and the only thing I kept, a Panasonic/Technics RS-276US cassette deck that I bought at Burstein-Applebee, where I had a charge card with a $500 limit. I was 14! After it was obvious the 330B sounded awful, it went off to HK service and I bought a Panasonic SA-6500 receiver from Dixie Hi-Fi, and I sold the 330B to a friend across the street when it came back. I ended up selling about a dozen more 6500's as it was a nice receiver and nobody could or would match my out the door price of $400-425. They closed them out at $212 with free shipping, so I made 100% on them. Dixie would send out a closeout/special list every month and there were some amazing deals on it. The Sa-6500 was one of the all time best, IMHO.
p1030606_18705.jpg

d3ac0708a5424e409fb273ba0fc41c3f.jpg

I have a SA-6500 sitting on my shelf right next to my center channel speaker. The wood case is a mess, but the receiver itself is in great shape. The only weakness of the 6500 is the sliders. Even though I sold all kinds of other receivers, some of them cost a lot more than the SA-6500 did, it stayed around until the late 90's, gradually moving from main unit, to a tuner(it was better than the Yamaha R-9 that replaced it as my main unit) and rear channel amp to rear channel amp only. It's still working on a friend's rear channels. The shipping on the one I have now was 2X what the receiver cost was. The RS-276 I have now was $20+$20 shipping and is in mint condition.The Garrard TT lasted 3-4 years, when it got replaced by a Dual 1229 with a Shure V15TypeIII or IV, can't remember. The Dual died in 1982 when the movers wrecked it, and it was replaced by my last TT, a Yamaha PX-3. Between 82 and 2006, I had a lot of stuff go through here, most of it Yamaha and Carver. At one point I had 2 Carver M400t's both monoed out, running my front channels. I still have an Onkyo cassette deck I got at a garage sale for $20, in the box, with the receipt. It was only 2 years old. Still works fine.

There are always super cheap older HT receivers on Ebay for bargain prices.

Back
Top Bottom