Don't you hate it when...

brutal

YamaHoarder
Subscriber
You are chasing down a problem and it mysteriously goes away?

Found my ultra rare black face Canadian model CR-66II (CR-420) was dropping a channel. While chasing it, it decided to stop being broken.

I suspect moving components to get the probe on leads may have temporarily resolved an annular joint crack (rare on something robust like this) or more likely one of the many badly corroded caps re-made contact.

Regardless, it will be getting a full recap and then follow up testing.

Of the carnage?

Would have to take some. Getting ready to go to the lake for 5 days, so not gonna happen right now.

I don't have one of the receiver handy either.

Photo's of the CR-66II are around, or just picture a black CR-420. :D

Thought I would have it done already, but I ran into a few cap values that I didn't have or ran out of, and some low leakage caps I also have to order.

Effing Mouser sent me an OOS/backorder notice on some caps that were part of a larger order that ALREADY showed shipped that I needed to finish my CX-1000. Will be placing my next order from Digikey, they seem to have better stock now on Nichicon. I normally use Mouser as they're closer and usually cheaper, and I get the slow/cheapest shipping option quicker.

I Elk hunt a ways NW of Ft Collins, up near Waldon.

Going to Conchas Dam, NM

Three weeks ago it was Navajo Reservoir, NM. That's our favorite, also a hike for us and a once a year thing.

Long drive, I should be in bed now...

I work on cars for a living and yes, I totally hate when things do that. Easiest way to get it to malfunction again seems to be to give it back to the customer.

Bah!

I finished up the recap and put on the DBT.

Initially had no realy click, found two caps back asswards, one in the PS. One on the main-C board. That's what I get for rushing through it.

Fixed those, and got a good relay click.

Put in on the mains, scratchy audio in the left channel. Ran for a minute, then popped a fuse.

Now it lights up the DBT.

Dang it. I don't have time to shoot this one for a while now due to work schedule and house chores.

Hello Brutal

It is really easy to check on channel who go and back
Which one is it ? Left ? Right ?
Once you know you can see if it is on every sources (switch)
If it is the case , I will suspect the speaker relay
If you want to be sure , try this : when the channel is gone , just knock on the relay top cover (don't touch anything else ) if the channel is back , you got it !

Thanks for the advice. I suppose relay could be the initial symptom cause, but now I have high current or shorted output issue.

Would a relay issue cause a current draw and fuse blowout?

Back
Top Bottom