Doors Soft Parade

Don't give up on dollar racks on the Doors, what with recent remasters and reissues driving down older versions and near-scrap-value copies. I still get a thrill out of finding a relatively-clean copy of any Doors output in a good cheapo bin, I'm about ready to stop buying expensive vinyl and start saving for a real record cleaner. The question begs, is it worth the extra to hear what had been originally left out in terms of extraneous vocal, playing, banter, etc...it's fun to hear the extras but it's expensive chasing every remastered audio instance.

Just got my copy from MD. Thanks for the heads up. I'll probably get an original if I ever find one. Doors albums are fairly scarce around here.

I have their original album and Morrison hotel on the Rhino 180 reissues. Absolutely silent, no static or pop at all. Sounds really good. Also have all the originals, plenty of Doors albums to be found in Seattle and surrounding areas. :D

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Electra albums from the late 60's and early 70's have proven to be some of the best sounding LP's from that period of time, at least to my ears. My Doors albums were all bought in the late 70's so I have a smattering of Electra labels, and none disappoint. I find the Butterfly label to be just as dynamic as the red E or the tan label. I have a MoFi of the first album and it is hardly better than the standard Electra release, both are stunning, but the MoFi seems to be quieter. The Soft Parade is a beautiful and brilliant album. I agree, good copies of original albums are hard to find for cheap.

I had to go put my Butterfly Label copy of this on and check it out. I'll bet I haven't played it in ten years or so as I own the cd as well. Have to say, it would be hard to find anything that sounds better than that. I think it's hard to go wrong with any Electra record. My Cars albums sound excellent as well. Electra is kind of like Chrysalis in that the norm is great sounding records, clean and quiet.

Last edited:
Santa brought me a super clean Elektra re-issue (1985) two record set "The Best of the Doors". Simply outstanding (although I may wear out the grooves on the 'Light My Fire' track.)

I never heard back from the sellers of the defective LP, guess I won't be buying from them anymore. Local used lPs for me. This way I can check them.

Thanks,
John.:music::D

For one of the most dynamic things you will ever hear from an LP, listen to the closing "buddle-a-dum" drum beats on "Do It" at live level.

At least on the original release.

And, I will take this oportunity to defend the old American record makers from the general lambasting they take from record collectors. Defects were very rare. Of all the hundreds of LPs I have purchased over the years, I can only remember returning maybe one or two.

Especially considering the many millions they produced.

Doug

Last edited:
I received my RA# and have decided to keep the LP, I played it again and you can bearly hear the pops now,they want me to pay return shipping anyway. I can buy 7 LPs with that money.

No more new LPs buying online. Local New sales only.

Thanks,
John.:music::D

Glad to hear it has improved John.

Yeah, I'd keep it too.

Listening to my "Big E Red" now with an Empire 2000 E/III - fabulous!

Doug

I recently scored a big E red label Soft Parade, and it sounds very, very good. It was $15 at the used store, which is a bit on the high side, but the cover looked like the shrink had just come off it, and the vinyl looked and sounded like it had never been played. Very clean, quiet vinyl. The opening of Running Blue where it's just Morrison singing sounds like he's in the room.

That same day, I passed on a tan label first album that was just as clean as the Soft Parade I got. It was $20, so I decided to think about it before buying. I came back a couple hours later and it was gone. That still stings.

Analogue Productions will soon be releasing very high end reissues of all the Doors studio albums. They will be the 2 LP/45 rpm style reissue, which always sounds better than a comparable 33 1/3 IME. I have their Dusty in Memphis and it sounds pretty amazing. At $50 per album, they are pricey though, and in spite of their new pressing plant, I still had to return both Dusty discs, as they were both warped and noisy. The replacements were fine though.

What is the difference between big E and Little E? Just found a big E S/T in a thrift, and I have a number of small E Doors albums. Which time period is each from?

Thanks.

The big "E" labels are the originals from the late sixties-early seventies before Elektra went to the butterfly label.

Then they went back to the "E" label but I don't know when this happened exactly. The "E" is smaller on these and they would, of course, be rereleases.

Doug

The only Small E that I have is 'LA Woman'...And, it is German, and Very Good. Check to see if any that you find are German....Then Buy Them....

Interesting. I have all three, and before your response, I would have assumed the chronology was Big E, Small E, then Butterfly.

Appreciate your thoughts.

The only Small E that I have is 'LA Woman'...And, it is German, and Very Good. Check to see if any that you find are German....Then Buy Them....

I have the German "Wierd Scenes" double album on the butterfly label and it does indeed sound very good.

Elektra Label Order

Interesting. I have all three, and before your response, I would have assumed the chronology was Big E, Small E, then Butterfly.

Appreciate your thoughts.

The Doors (Elektra) label order is Tan/Gold, Big E, Butterfly, Small "E" - think they went back to a "Butterfly" sometime in the late '70s/early '80s but it was more monochromatic in color (not as vivid).

Check this link for more info: http://www.bsnpubs.com/elektra/elektra74000.html

Dale

Back
Top Bottom