Dormant MC30

Paul R

About 15 years ago I bought a non functional MC30. I removed and replaced some parts with the hope of it functioning again . Some tubes and can type caps were changed..I was told by some non techy hi fi friends that the output transformer is bad along with some dried up caps.Ive been looking at it ever since as a museum piece as it seems quite involved to have it fixed. FWIW it produced sound off the bat but at a very very VERY low output. I wonder what it would take for it to breathe again

Rebuilding an MC30 can be as simple as a few tubes or capacitors all the way to having a transformer rewound, best to have it checked by an experienced McIntosh person and get a quote on the repair, a really mint 30 could bring up to $1,000, cosmetics count !!

Or you could sell it cheap to someone who has an insatiable obssession for the MC-30s.... :naughty:

Last edited:
ajauwen said:
Or you could sell it cheap to someone who has an insatiable obssession for the MC-30s.... :naughty:
That is what we have the Wanted To Buy section and the Private Messaging
(PM) for.
Thanks in advance for cooperating. :)

Carl

It takes alot to rattle me...I am not short on amplfication.in my house with over 8 power amps at my disposal. I somehow view my mc 30 and indeed the rest of vintage MACs as part of hifi history hence my reason for keeping it all these years...and yes I realize it will need a trip to a tech for it to function again...perhaps when I retire I will make it a project..I cannot tell you the great felling I have just LOOKING at it and I can only imagine what it would be like if it were working .Thanks for you enthusiasm guys!!!!

Last edited:
Well, you're almost there....

I think the glow of a couple of Mac amps with the lights off along with that faint, glow from a Mac pre-amp's faceplate is the "ne plus ultra".... :smoke:

Now where's that lava lamp?

Cheers,

David

I've listened to, and read, lot's of discussions (and opinions) regarding the best sounding amps, the top of the line amps, the nicest looking amp, etc, etc, but what seems to be the constant, is the high regard that almost everyone has for the vintage McIntoshs place in audio history..! I second everyone's feelings about how these amps look just sitting there... I also happen to REALLY like how they sound.. :thmbsp:

Last edited:
dshoaf...funny you should mention the beautiful glow of the faceplates..in fact last night I had my son turn off all the lights so he could see the beauty of the Macs..something I believe he took for granted all this while!!!

Back
Top Bottom