Dose of reality from a UPS employee

Here a few packaging concepts I use, and it usually takes me about 6 hours to pack up a unit from scratch:

• No delicate item that protrudes (knobs, switches, levers, etc.) should receive any contact, in the case of a drop.
  • Packaging that is too stiff will simply couple impact forces directly to the unit, so stiff packaging is only good for outer layers for box bracing, or inner layers to ensure the parts to receive no contact are protected.
  • Packaging that is too soft will simply collapse until vulnerable parts make contact with packaging walls, or until stiffer parts of the package couple remaining impact forces to the unit (uphostery foam is definitely not acceptable).
  • Packaging that will not recover after impact is unsuitable, since impacts will tend to repackage the unit in unpredictable/undesireable ways (bubble wrap tend to pop, so it is good for one good impact, then it does not recover, leaving the unit flopping around loose).
  • The primary job of padding is to take the sharp leading edge off of impact forces, while compressing somewhat, bringing a unit to a stopped state to match the package.
  • The outer box must remain sharp cornered, since soft outer boxes are harder to handle, causing them to get tossed like duffle bags (handle cuts in the sides of large packages are a definite benefit).
  • The compressibility of padding is not what it appears to be at a static state. It will be revealed for sure when the package is experiencing several Gs.
  • Rarely will any drop be square with a side, hence packaging must account for units shifting at any angle during an impact (especially important when protecting switches knobs, antennae, etc.)
  • Truly and reliably protecting a heavy piece of audio gear from an 8 ft drop is a pipe dream (you might get lucky. You might not).

Enjoy,
Rich P

Fedex and Fedex ground are two different companies. Fedex ground delivery drivers are independent contractors, they work on commission, the more they deliver the more they make. Anyone can walk into a Fedex ground center and see if a route is available. Once you have one route you can get others and contract them out. That is probably why your delivery looked like in came in a rented truck.

I catch a lot of crap from prospective bidders about my shipping costs,but I dont care.It takes time and a little money to do it right.At least 2 layers of large bubble wrap.Tons of wadded pieces of newspaper surrounding the unit so its suspended,with at least 2-4 inches from each side of the box.I usually drop my package on the carpet from about chest high,to see if I hear the unit shift.
I spent a Xmas holiday in the Air Force working in the mail room.Jim Morrison was partially right:Its surprising anyone makes it out alive.
Jimmy

A lot of electronics (stereo equipment and otherwise) gets delivered here. I've never seen any damage that couldn't be attributed to poor packing. A good example: two direct-drive Technics turntables of the same model, both shipped UPS and delivered within two or three weeks of one another. One seller removed the dust cover and platter, packaged both separately, and secured the tonearm with tape. All these items (dust cover, platter, and actual turntable) were well-packed with bubble wrap, stiff foam and peanuts, and placed inside the same large box. It arrived in immaculate condition.

The other seller simply dropped the turntable in a plastic bag, then put it in a too-small box with stiff foam and peanuts. I winced as soon as I saw the package - the box was clearly far too small. The tonearm was not secured, and the platter and dust cover were not removed. The turntable arrived with a bent stylus. The dust cover had come loose in transit and was scratched by the platter, and had one of its hinge fittings partially broken. It was a wonder the platter did not come off as well - a heavy chunk of aluminum would have done a number on the tonearm/counterweight assembly.

Oddly enough, both items cost roughly the same amount to ship from about the same region. And even then, I'd rather pay $10 extra and get it in good shape than pay less and have it otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom