Doughnuts?

Discussion in 'AK Polls' started by dread31, Aug 4, 2009.

?

Doughnuts?

1. Duncan

52 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. Krispy Kreme

77 vote(s)
    57.0%
  3. 7-11

5 vote(s)
    3.7%
  4. Wawa

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  1. vinnx

vinnx Member

Theres a shop near me called Donut King. Massive variety, made in store, rotating selectiing of specialities. Cake donuts n normal. 2 dozen of any for like 14$-20$

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Dat Doughnuts - 82nd Street and S. Cottage Grove Avenue, Chicago, IL or...
    Old Fashioned Doughnuts - 112th Street and S. Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL.

Both South Side venues produce a decent variety of doughnuts that approach covering the size of a typical adult's face at reasonable prices. :D

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  3. Mrppv

Mrppv Active Member

Here in Philly we are lucky to have Federal Donuts. Just three locations, and all they serve are donuts, fried chicken, and coffee… the donuts are excellent. Definitely try them if you're in town.

The owners had a kickstarter for a non-profit restaurant they are making (profits go to feeding the hungry), and for my contribution I was able to design and name a donut that was served for a month at all three locations.

It was called "The Redhead and the DJ", in memory of my dear wife and her brother, who both passed young, less than two years apart. Chocolate donut, raspberry icing, sprinkled with Rice Krispies.

[​IMG]

SecondSpin likes this.
  4. Quadman2

Quadman2 Super Member

There is one catagory missing..."Tim Horton"s".

Q

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  5. BMWCCA

BMWCCA AK Subscriber Subscriber

Well, sad to report the Charlottesville, VA, Spuduts shop closed for good last month. I stood in line for over three-hours just to get my last couple of dozen. Very sad day for many of us here!

6. BobbyBluz

BobbyBluz Well-Known Member

I still lust after the donuts and other bakery from Wilbert's in Milwaukee even though that bakery has been out of business for years. There was a small restaurant outside Madison that made their own donuts every morning and they were far better than anything I've had since to closing of Wilbert's but sadly they shut down a couple of years ago. I ended up in a Duncan shop after a gig a few months ago and it was an extremely disappointing experience.

7. Boto

Boto Curmudgeon In Training

We had both Tim Horton's and Krispy Kreme here in CT. Both ended up leaving the state.

8. toups

toups Well-Known Member

Actually you didn't even list the best option, beignets at Coffee Call with Cafe Du Monde a close second but first on historical grounds.

9. willyrover

willyrover Super Member

Me too, until they stopped baking in store and went to par-baked frozen doughnuts and ditched the walnut crunch to rub salt in the wound.

Best doughnuts in Hamilton, Ontario (ironically, home of the first Tim Hortons store), is Grandads Doughnuts on James St. N.

10. Quadman2

Quadman2 Super Member

Thanks for the heads up:thumbsup:....will check it out and compare.

Q

11. BOUXY

BOUXY Super Member

HOME MADE!

12. 2270 in play

2270 in play AK Subscriber Subscriber

Henry's a local spot

13. bigx5murf

bigx5murf Super Member

My family owned 3 Dunkin's when I was growing up. I still throw up in my mouth a little when I see a donut.

Archguy likes this.
  14. pnovak

pnovak New Member

Out of those I picked Dunkin but I would rather have ones from privately owned bakeries. We have several in the Pittsburgh area that I prefer over those on the list.

15. daveg3588

daveg3588 Toy addict

16. squirrelnest

squirrelnest Addicted Member

Krispy Kreme when the sign in the window is lit red.

17. tubed

tubed Lunatic Member

18. kjc2260

kjc2260 Active Member

There’s nothing like a warm Krispy Kreme fresh off the rack. My guess is it’s a regional thing though. Here in the South, it’s KRispy Kreme all the way

19. Beatnik

Beatnik What's this ?

Those teeth rotting blueberry cake ones at 7-11

20. Archguy

Archguy Official Roiurama Factory Rep Subscriber

Amazing I just saw this thread for the first time, and coincidentally had my first doughnut in 20 years this morning. Karma!

I could never make a habit of it, but I also can't deny that they are pretty much heaven with a cup of coffee. Which I also like.

"I always keep a supply of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy." --W. C. Fields.