Downsizing sale find - Dual 1019 - sell or keep?

For manual start, needing to move the tonearm AND push manual start is an unnecessary step the 12XX series corrected. I guess it's just what you cut your teeth on when you got your 1st Dual. Many must not mind the two step process.

i don't mind it that much when i do it, but mainly just use the automatic start anyway since i'm lazy.

also didn't realize the age of this thread when i replied to it. just saw someone else's recent post. maybe i should read more. or maybe not. i'm with jdandy though: "if the boat floats, get on it if you want, otherwise just stand on the shore and wave." it's the internets. isn't the point of this to be a repository of information (= archives)?

I like the fact I can place the arm over the platter to check weight and overhang without the table turning. You eventually get where in one motion you can move the arm and activate the lever. I also use it on 78 rpm to clean records for it and other tables, the rim drive has amazing torque. plus as pointed out the auto is really cool. I'd sell my AR ES-1 before I'd sell the 1019.
Old threads live !

About the base/dustcover (sorry - your pics didn't oopen for me) - any Dual is more valuable for resale if it is mounted in the United Audio base/dust cover (you can tell because the base has a "United Audio" badge on the front & the DC has a "UA" badge centered on the top). UA was the sole US importer for Duals. Not the UA products were so special, it's just how people remember Duals from 30 years ago. If it came thru Canada, the base/DC will say "Noresco". Anywhere else, will say "Dual" or it is something home made. There was one funky clamshell style base/dustcover that was made in Japan & available in this county for 1219's & 1229's, but I've never come across one.

AFAIK, just about all the earlier Duals sold outside of Germany were plinth-less, and the local distributors added second-party plinths. A lot of this might have been because many TTs back then were installed in consoles.

The UA bases were most common in the US, as mentioned, and so are both the most common and the most valued there. But here in Hong Kong, I've seen a few of them, but also PLENTY of other bases. I've had three 1219s in three very different bases, and seen several other different ones. Only the 505-2 model and the (much later) "authentic series" Duals always (without exception so far, among the ones I've seen) seem to always have the same base, original from Dual.

:scratch2: and what's the harm in reviving an old post, if it is still interesting?

I have a choice of a 1019 and a 1219 for my office setup and most of the time the 1019 does the honors. Both are in excellent condition but there is something about the 1019 that wins it for me. As Rybeam said I like the fact that I can check tracking weight without the table starting automatically as it does with the 1219. Both the 1019 and 1219 are keepers for me.

As to this being a "vintage" thread - Damn right! love those old posts revivals:thmbsp:

hmmmm, i have several duals, a 1219, and a 1225.. no rumble, i run my vinyl with a center clamp weight.. the duals are excellent tables, unless you are a hi-fi snob who is sold on big bucks and names.

Well, I may as well jump in on the old thread band wagon. I purchased a 1019 from the original owner earlier this summer. I got it cheap. It was purchased in Germany in the late '60s. It is in immaculate cosmetic condition with the original plinth, dust cover, record changer spindle and all associated documentation. I really wanted a 1219, but couldn't resist the opportunity. After getting it home, I discovered that it has some issues, so I sent it out for a complete maintenance / refurb. Being a very "mechanical" table, proper maintenance would appear to be important. I should have it back in another week or two.

I currently have a Pioneer PL-12d which I understand was a pretty mediocre table back in its day. Other than that, I tried a Music Hall 2.1, but I couldn't stand how "flimsy" it felt during handling.

I'm really looking forward to getting this deck up and running in my system. The looks are incredible, and I'm hoping what I end up with is worth the $125 I'll have into it.

The 1019 is a keeper...

I have worked on many Duals. Started with a Dual 1010S in High School back in 1966. Had many tables and got back to Dual in 1999. Fixed up a 1229 with a Shure V15 type III. Still have it. Its good. I have a 1009 and the 1009SK that added a cue and antiskate. The no frills 1009 is my favorite. Just put a new Shure 97 cart on it. Felt the M55 was getting a little old. Was spinning D-Gramma Phone LP of Beethovens 9th and a Linda Ronstandt-Nelson Riddle LP. Have always liked the sound of original 1009. Your 1019 should sound reallly good. They are tanks. I went through the 1009 and its worked flawlessly since ( 4 years ) Once you get it back it should run well for a long time. My 1229 has not been touched since I got it in '99.

One thing I did this summer was to get another 1009 with a German made base and dust cover. Came with the original cartons. Paid a little more but I wanted the cartons and the cabinet. I put my United Audio base and dust cover on the 1009SK which is a fall project. Hopefully I can get this laptop to include pics.

Enjoy the 1019. Eric:music:

Attachments

• IMG_0904.jpg
    IMG_0904.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_0908.jpg
    IMG_0908.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_0906.jpg
    IMG_0906.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_0910.jpg
    IMG_0910.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 235
"It sounded pretty good, with the exception of the idler wheel rumble. In my opinion, it's the idler wheel rumble that makes this turmtable useless by present standards. As a collector item it may have some residual value, but as a record playing device it is of little value." :nono:

You are completely and utterly wrong, I could not agree less.

The 1019 is a fine table that is hard to match today. In a ultra bright "modern" system maybe you can hear the rumble. I use it with 85 watts through Bozaks with 4-12" woofers, it is dead quite. A 7.5 pound platter and built like a '50 automobile there's no audible rumble. Never thought of using the low filter, and I can almost move a couch with the sound.
The new tables have to get pretty expensive to impress a 1019 owner, say $700 +. IMO

Ditto!!! I am sending mine out for a service. It's a good sounding turntable imo.:music::thmbsp:

I have recently acquired and have been refurbishing a 1229, but I certainly wouldn't mind having a 10xx series Dual, particularly a 1009 which I have heard before.

Its worth the $125!

Well, I may as well jump in on the old thread band wagon. I purchased a 1019 from the original owner earlier this summer. I got it cheap. It was purchased in Germany in the late '60s. It is in immaculate cosmetic condition with the original plinth, dust cover, record changer spindle and all associated documentation. I really wanted a 1219, but couldn't resist the opportunity. After getting it home, I discovered that it has some issues, so I sent it out for a complete maintenance / refurb. Being a very "mechanical" table, proper maintenance would appear to be important. I should have it back in another week or two.

I currently have a Pioneer PL-12d which I understand was a pretty mediocre table back in its day. Other than that, I tried a Music Hall 2.1, but I couldn't stand how "flimsy" it felt during handling.

I'm really looking forward to getting this deck up and running in my system. The looks are incredible, and I'm hoping what I end up with is worth the $125 I'll have into it.

Though I have a 1229 in my livingroom, it see little action. My 10 series see most of the action. Got an original 1009 on the shop system with a Shure M97
cart. No antiskate or cue but it sounds great. Got a nice Dual base and cover from Germany. Tied to a Pioneer SX 850 and JBL 100s along with several TEAC rtrs and cassette deck plus a Sony CDR. Just got my 1009SK fully operational today. The early United Audio deco base and dust cover (plexiglas) were decent. Had one in High School. It has cue and antiskate. Put it on that base and its now in my sleeping quarters. Put a Shure M91 on it. You will like the 1019. Both my 1009s are great. Sooner or later I will get a 1019.

Enjoy your Dual. Had loads of turntables over 40 years. Started with a Dual 1010S then lots of belt and direct drives until I got my 1229 in 1999. Now I only run Duals. Learned a lot about them the last 10 years. By specializing on them has helped me learn alot about how they work. Part of the fun of this hobby. Got some nice stuff with little $$$$!!!

Eric:music:

Now if you were talking about a 1954 Leica M3 rangefinder camera that had had goat leather covering put on it and the metal painted metalic blue then you bet it would effect it's value.

Ain't that the truth. My Nikon, Rollei and Contax gear gets fairly regular outings, but I parted company with the Leica gear when I became apparent that I couldn't afford to use it comfortably. Some happy collector has it.... sorry wandered OT....

I recently bought Dual 1229Q but it is not sitting right on United Audio base. The three long screws with springs are protruding like sore thumb. If someone has 1229Q, I would appreciate what the right looks like. Thank you.

I just hope to hell we got that original posting guy from 2006 straightened out and down the right path. For what its worth, I would stick my foot in front of anything with a rubber tire to save one of em.

my dual 1019 came in a console. Can't remember the name of the console, had a 20 watt SS amp and CTX speakers. I was playing a talking heads album while still in the van and the dual (like all duals I have seen) was haveing no problem with me climbing in and out of the van while playing.

Back
Top Bottom