Downsizing sale find - Dual 1019 - sell or keep?

Funny you should bring up this thread...

Well, what a coincidence - I just happened to pick up a Dual 1019 with the dust cover (and hinge accessory) just the day before yesterday and here is this old thread resurrected yet again!
The original owner of this table was moving and he just wanted it gone, he was only asking $25 for it (which I gladly gave him). As I was leaving he asked if I would please take his speakers, too. They were a beautiful pair of Wharfedale W60-D and pair of not so beautiful HH Scott S-20 2way speakers. He bought all of this stuff at the same time in 1969 and he took very good care of all of it.
The 1019 actually works but I'm going to give it a good going over anyway. It has a Pickering V-15 cartridge with the original stylus that still works but I'm going to put a Shure M91-ED on it.
It also came with a couple of old 78 records, one Blues and one early Rock N' Roll.
Here are a couple of pics of the 1019:

Attachments

• IMG_0734.jpg
    IMG_0734.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_0738.jpg
    IMG_0738.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0739.jpg
    IMG_0739.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 115
I have a 1019 that I enjoy very much. I use it to play old 78 recordings.
The Dual Doctor says it's the most sturdy built Dual and his favorite. It is a
piece of history.......:thmbsp:

It's amazing that these wonderful turntables are now going on 40+ years and with a minimum of maintenance (primarily removing old grease and applying new) can perform as well as new. I'm beginning to wonder if maybe some kid 40- 50 years from now will be playing with one of these saying wow they sound cool and still works as new!

Got a 1019 too! Yours ia way cool!!!

Great find AudioJones. Good ideal on the cart. Love mine...Would love a pr of Wharfdales...Enjoy

Last edited:
I had a 1229 since new, around 1974. It had no rumble problems in a common UA base. Maybe some do today because of warn parts, but totally not an issue design-wise. I donated it to a thrift shop in the 90s because it was just worn out after much, much, much use.

That said, while it's one of the best three speed / full auto / stacker TTs out there, it is mediocre compared to even entry level audiophile tables that came along later. The 1980s AR (Rega arm) that became my next main deck was light years better.

At some point I may but another Dual 10 or 12 series for 78s -- I see them all the time -- but I think either a late mono /early stereo transcription turntable or a trouble-free new Audio Technica or Numark would serve me better.

This past summer I scored a good condition Dual 1019 with a low-end ADC cart for $29.99 at my local Goodwill. It only required some minor work to make it function at 100% (one small but essential part was sticky with old goo). I then lucked into a good condition 1019 dust cover on eBay for $30, so it's all set and complete now.

I installed a Shure M78S cart and it is now my dedicated 78 table, a purpose for which it excels. I'm also waiting to receive a compatible Shure N25C stylus for microgroove use. The M25C cart is a DJ cart with the same body shape as the M78S, and may even be the same internally. The N25C stylus is .7mil conical and, like the M78S, tracks 1.5-3 grams, so it's fairly gentle on records. I figure it could be a good match for '50s-'60s mono LPs and 45s, and is robust enough to handle it when I feel like using the multi-disc stacker for casual listening of beater LPs.

Shure%20M%2025%20C.jpg

Shure_Shure-M78S_400x400_s.jpg

Last edited:
Why oh why did I sell that 1019...

Seeing this old thread reminds me to kick myself in the arse for selling that beautiful Dual 1019 featured in post #42 :tears:

It was a great sounding table and very compact, too. It would have fit in very well with the smaller system I'm putting together now, but I was in a selling mood and had too many turntables at the time. Now I see the light, the 1019 was a keeper. :sigh:

Oh well, sooner or later another one will show up, although probably not as nice as that one with the dust cover and everything. Live and learn.

Keep it. The 1019 is a durable and surprisingly good sounding table. The arm is a little massy by the the standards of the high compliance cartridge craze that swept the audio world in the late 60s and early 70s, but cartridges nowadays tend to be of more moderate compliance, so the arm will suit them well.

I've had a 1019 since ca. 1968. I've kept the patter bearings oiled and recently oiled the motor bearings as well. Have used it with a number of Shure V15 series, but mosly with a V15 TypeIV, first with the original Shure stylus, and now with a JICO SAS. I can't imagine needing anything more in a turntable. With albums that I have on both vinyl and CD, the vinyl sounds essentially the same as the CD, but with pops and clicks, of course.
I keep low-end (30Hz) eq up 12db for low-bass response and hear no appreciable rumble.

Why oh why did I sell that 1019...Seeing this old thread reminds me to kick myself in the arse for selling that beautiful Dual 1019 featured in post #42 :tears:
Live and learn.

It's this kind of comment that convinces me to hang on to things, including a batch of Dual tables 1009, 1019, 1219 that I'm not currently using. Just because I'm not now, doesn't mean I won't later.

It's this kind of comment that convinces me to hang on to things, including a batch of Dual tables 1009, 1019, 1219 that I'm not currently using. Just because I'm not now, doesn't mean I won't later.

Let them go.

You can always buy another and perhaps someone will actually use it as a daily driver and that's really best for all involved. :yes:

I had a 1019, and I donated it to the Salvation Army. I suppose I didn't really think that much of it. I have another Dual, I think it's a 1229, that I am going to dispose of as well - it's not working though. I did have a 1219 that was in excellent condition (practically new), and I sold it.
The Dual TT's have some nostalgic appeal and great motors, but beyond that, I don't consider them to be contenders in the world of turntables. Just my opinion though :)

I had a 1019, and I donated it............ I did have a 1219 ....................... and I sold it.
I don't consider them to be contenders in the world of turntables. Just my opinion though :)

A valid opinion. All depends upon what you're looking for. As a serious turntable, no they won't cut it. As a rugged record changer that's probably a cut above most.... works just fine.

Tarl.... is that the New Paris turntable museum ? :music:

Doing research on a Dual 1019 TT and ran across this old thread! (What a nice rack!!!)
My humble set of three early wood plinth TT's is represented here....and at least two I have been looking for. (Sick....no cure needed though.)

In yet ANOTHER zombie thread revival, I ran across this old thread after hooking up an old 1019 and thinking that is sounds way better than anything sub $700 that one can buy currently. So hopefully the original poster from almost ten years ago decided to keep his. :)

My dad bought our family a Dual 1019 with a Shure V15 cartridge back in ~1967 roughly. He said he got the FULLY automatic version (someone earlier mistakenly thought you had to touch the tonearm you DO NOT you just slide the black lever to 'start') because we kids were so young we'd likely scratch the records (I was only 5 years old that year). He said he bought the 1019 because it was one of the only turntables that could track accurately with only 0.5grams of cartridge pressure, using the Shure cartridge, which was a breakthrough. I thought it was a miraculous system, it never failed to play the 33's, 45's, and occasional 78 rpm records we threw at it, but we sold it 10 years ago and now I'm sitting here thinking about getting another one ... It had a walnut UA base with a black surround holding the suspension and smoke-colored top.

I am pretty sure there was a bulge in the back of the dustcover to accomodate the tonearm. The dustcover on ours was not hinged, if I remember correctly, it slipped over the wooden base on all sides (except the tonearm area where it stuck out maybe half a cm beyond the wood), although I may have forgotten, I hadn't used one in 20 years.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom