Driveway Sealant On The Roof?

Discussion in 'Non-audio related DIY' started by loopstick, Jul 31, 2017.

1. loopstick

loopstick AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have a typical peaked roof with asphalt shingles about 20 years old. There are a few spots where it needs some spot sealing. I got a couple of cans of the spray stuff but saw some big buckets of driveway sealant tar for sale and was wondering if I could use that stuff. I've never used it on a driveway so I don't know that much about it.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. savatage1973

savatage1973 Addicted Member

It "might" work for that application. I am a contractor and have sealed many driveways/parking areas with the stuff; however, there are dedicated paintable application roofing sealants available in quarts/gallons/5 gallon buckets (depending upon how much you need). There are also roofing sealants that come in caulking tubes (both large and small) that are less messy to work with and capable of filling larger gaps/cracks with a single pass, whereas the thinner paintable materials may require several coats to get a full fill/seal in those situations. IME these types of products tend to fall under the category of "you get what you pay for"--the more expensive products contain higher solids content and some even dry to form a "rubberized" seal layer--the cheaper products are more like just cheap tar.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  3. loopstick

loopstick AK Subscriber Subscriber

Thanks - I might give it a try in some test areas. I did buy a couple of cans of the spray stuff that's made for roofs so I'll use them today on the spots I noticed when adjusting my antenna. You AK guys are great resource!

4. whoaru99

whoaru99 Epic Member

I've used a tube or two of Black Jack caulking/sealant in a pinch.