Driving 6 ohm speakers with Vintage Marantz

lionelbob

I've read through the many 4 ohm - 8 ohm posts here and they all pretty much say the same thing, if it says 8 ohms it means 8 ohms.

I grabbed set of Pioneer speakers thru EEK!bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180069956782

When I got them home I noticed that they are marked 6 ohm.

The current owner had been running these with the 80 watt (cheapie) Fisher amp (marked 8 ohm) in the same ebay deal above.

The amp still works fine, and I ran it at 3/4 volume for 20 minutes without heat or failure.

What I was intending to do was to use the 6 ohm Pioneers with my 2230, but I got nervous reading all this stuff about roaching the trannys.

I remember from basic electronics class that impedence is not really resistance. ??

Some threads say to grab a 2 or 4 ohm 1/2 watt resistor and insert in series. Isn't that what a speaker selector box does?

It would seem that I could be pretty safe putting a 2 ohm resistor in series and just blast away.

I know, most of you won't say, "yeah go ahead," due to liability issues.

Or should I just put the Pioneers out for recycle?

The 2230 will run 6ohm speakers without a problem.

I ran a 4ohm load on my 2270 for months and never had an issue.

A 2ohm resistor in series would make it where the speakers would be starved for wattage, only getting 10watts each or so.

Do NOT put resistance in series with the speaker. That blows the "damping factor" all to hell.

It is perfectly safe to operate a pair of 6-ohm speakers on your 2230, however, that is the only set of speakers you can run at once.

Fred Longworth

u can but run only a single set of speakers an thats it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
im runnin 4 ohm on my 2325 have done for yrs on an off
ive never had a problem

All of the above advise is good but.... I have been running three paralleled Large Advents on various vintage Marantz receivers, 2230, 35, & 40, for several months with no problems. That would be roughly 2.7 ohms. It is in a 20X12 office so I probably don't consume more than 10 watts RMS or so. Plus the Advent is a fairly efficient speaker. I wouldn't advise anyone do this that isn't prepared to pay the consequences but if you aren't going to draw a lot of current from the amp and it doesn't get too close to being a short and you exercise due caution regarding volume levels it should be fine. In your situation you certainly don't need to worry about 6 ohms and if you were to add a pair of "8 ohm" speakers that would yield 3.4 ohms. Myself, I wouldn't fret about that. Just don't try to entertain the whole neighborhood with both pairs of speakers connected.
In my case when I add a fourth pair of Large Advents I will be adding a seperate power amp for them.

I have a quandary. I am running a Marantz 2216 on my desktop. I'm running 6 ohm OHM FRS 11's to my left and right. I have two desks with 28" clearance where I can put box speakers underneath. When I run 4 ohm underneath because the impedance is higher, they are louder and drown out the FRS 11's. I run this in near field so the volume doesn't piss off those upstairs, the volume never gets higher than 4, so if anyone is aware of decent 6 ohm vintage box speakers I can hunt for since old receivers don't offer a fader between channels. 8 ohm or 4-8 ohm's are either louder or non existent.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom