Drummers! Post pics of your kit!

Hmm... got pics? How vintage is vintage. How deep is the shell?

i AM interested! :banana:

E-mail me at rochlin AT enjoythemusic DOT com title being ALL CAPS please, GRETSCH SNARE. Muchos gracias senior!

I will go take a look at it if it is still there. I may end up getting it for myself but we will see.

I've kept mine simple as it's only for pub/party use, in a band that is more dorment than active!

Who 'needs' a band? Just get some IEM and an iPod/Zune/whatever. The advantage with IEM is they help keep the drum's SPLs down while also hearing the music you are playing to.

Used to have something more involved (rototoms, second bass, more metals) but cannot justify it now.

And that brings up a GREAT question. Will admit that more is not always better. Roach playing Mr Hi Hat kinda proves the point. For me, some days i find that less = more. Will play perhaps one or two items and that is it, just to see what variations/sounds are possible. Am amazed the tones and textures you can get from a simple 16-inch extra thin crash on a stand. The first time i saw a drummer actually 'grab' a cymbal with his upper arm and body and physically BEND the cymbal while playing it really opened my mind that crash cymbals have 'another life in sound' to them. Beware, really small (10-inch or less) super thin splash/crash seem to achieve a MUCH shorter lifespan when you do this.

Who 'needs' a band? Just get some IEM and an iPod/Zune/whatever. The advantage with IEM is they help keep the drum's SPLs down while also hearing the music you are playing to.CLOSE QUOTE

I need a band! Have to admit that is where I get the real buzz from, I've never been one for play along to tunes in the cans.
I much to prefer to both play and practice WITH the band.

OPEN QUOTE
And that brings up a GREAT question. Will admit that more is not always better. Roach playing Mr Hi Hat kinda proves the point. For me, some days i find that less = more. Will play perhaps one or two items and that is it, just to see what variations/sounds are possible. Am amazed the tones and textures you can get from a simple 16-inch extra thin crash on a stand. The first time i saw a drummer actually 'grab' a cymbal with his upper arm and body and physically BEND the cymbal while playing it really opened my mind that crash cymbals have 'another life in sound' to them. Beware, really small (10-inch or less) super thin splash/crash seem to achieve a MUCH shorter lifespan when you do this.

THIS is what I use lone practice for, then, when you've mastered and integrated a new idea/sound, let it loose on the band and see their faces, on the next meet you can be sure another member been working hard to top you, BRILL!

THIS is what I use lone practice for, then, when you've mastered and integrated a new idea/sound, let it loose on the band and see their faces, on the next meet you can be sure another member been working hard to top you, BRILL!

Point well taken. Perhaps i have gotten too jaded??? Been subjected to too much LSD (Lead Singer Disease) and the lead guitarist who thinks that...

Yeah, ok.... do miss the live jazz/fusion sessions like in the 80's in So. Fla. Sadly, too little talent in this small neck of the woods and tired of lugging a set around (even a small 3-piece).

Signed,

Old And Ornery Drummer

Point well taken. Perhaps i have gotten too jaded??? Been subjected to too much LSD (Lead Singer Disease) and the lead guitarist who thinks that...

Yeah, ok.... do miss the live jazz/fusion sessions like in the 80's in So. Fla. Sadly, too little talent in this small neck of the woods and tired of lugging a set around (even a small 3-piece).

Signed,

Old And Ornery Drummer

That's why I set up a really nice studio area...so they come to me.

looking for some help. I bought a Tama Techstar TTB1000 trigger bank off ebay a few years ago, for no reason (other than it was cheap). I don't even know what the thing is supposed to do. It looks like it's kind of a preamp where you can plug in RCA or those microphone type inputs. It didn't come with the manual and I'm wondering if there's any way I can use it as an amp of sorts. I googled it and found the text below, but don't really understand it.

"Tama ttb1000- a six channel unit that will translate any 6 independent audio
signals into 6- 5 or 15v triggers-very cool unit-great for
modulars/percussion/syncing "

here's an image of the front that I found as well

ttb1000.jpg

thanks

Wow, i remember when those were brand new! Ok, you need what is called 'triggers' to feed each drum input. A few DIY articles to build your own are:

http://members.cox.net/ampage/triggers.htm

http://www.electronicdrums.com/pads/pads2.htm

Of course you can buy commercial pads, see:
http://www.zzounds.com/cat--Electronic-Drum-Triggers--2502

Am trying to remember if it had MIDI, as back then MIDI was relatively new. If it has MIDI, you can use a MIDI interface and trigger the kit using a wide variety of modern devices too numberous to list here. Can't find much info online either than it was made in 1985, so it may indeed have MIDI.

Hope this helps.

Isn't this the other way 'round? Like, you have a weak kick drum on a multi-track recording, this would enable you to use that recorded audio signal as an input, the output would trigger a drum machine's kick sample to beef things up.

I could be wrong...

je

Isn't this the other way 'round? Like, you have a weak kick drum on a multi-track recording, this would enable you to use that recorded audio signal as an input, the output would trigger a drum machine's kick sample to beef things up.

I could be wrong...

je

that's what I thought. It's not a drum module but more of a sound booster (hence me thinking I could plug in a tape deck or something and get a louder sound).

There is the techstar drum machine that has all the sounds and trigger inputs....but I think my piece of equipment is something altogether different.

that's what I thought. It's not a drum module but more of a sound booster (hence me thinking I could plug in a tape deck or something and get a louder sound).

There is the techstar drum machine that has all the sounds and trigger inputs....but I think my piece of equipment is something altogether different.

More like you plug your tape deck in, and every time it plays a sound you'll get electrical trigger out, which will do nothing unless it's connected to a drum machine brain.

...IF it's what I think it is.

je

DOH!!! Ok, i read the description wrong. "Tama ttb1000- a six channel unit that will translate any 6 independent audio signals into 6- 5 or 15v triggers." Sorry and of course you guys are right. Yeah, it's an analog signal to trigger conversion device, usually used to 'fatten' the sound of an acoustic kit or when some drummers (foolishly) used an analog kit yet employs sampled/electronic sounds files from a 'brain' unit to feed the mix board.

Again, my bad. Remember seeing it 'stacked' with Tama kits back in the day. Maybe Tama had a stack-type display back in the day to promote their electronic dum wares???

Basically, you can use that to trigger a drum module via a microphone through the board or when mixing in the studio. You could for example, take the recorded kick sound and use it to trigger the module or live with mics.

Well, it took TWO months for the good people in Switzerland to deliver the percussion bits. As my server does not allow posting pics elsewhere (a code that keeps others from stealking my bandwidth), so you can see it at:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/viewpoint/0609/world_premieres.htm

Click on pics for larger versions. And yes, am having about 8 hours of fun with her each week :)

I'm in! Where do I sign up?

That there throne is a happy, happy place. :yes:

je

I'm in! Where do I sign up?

If you or others here are ever in SW NH lemme know via e-mail.

That there throne is a happy, happy place. :yes:
je

Yes it is :)

Since those photos i added more physical spacing on the Sound Disk Set 1, 3 and 5 (top and just left of center). Basically i reknotted the string that holds them. i find that they ring on for a long time, especially the largest one that after hit can ring on for MANY minutes. If i grab the string and use it to rotate the Disk it makes for an interesting sound akin to a Roto cymbal. The small 7" gong is fairly quiet, especially as compared to the larger ones and so you really need to hit it hard to get a decent volume level output. Speaking of gongs, am learning some interesting 'techniques' with them i never learned in concert band in High School.

BTW, i DID NOT want this many cymbals yet the Paiste package deal came with FIVE extra thin cymbals plus did not want double-stacked Accent cymbals and so migrated them to the set, which frankly they get A LOT more use than on the percussion rack behind me and can take a good 'beating' (if needed) more than splash cymbals can.

The five piece Cup Chime set is VERY interesting and it took me some time to 'figure them out' per se. After about an hour of experimentation i realized that if one hits the lower two (far right and far left) alternatively (one with right stick, the other with left stick) in a medium fast motion it sounds a lot like what i heard during a Himalayan special on video. The Cups can offer a good variety of sounds depending on how and where you hit them.

The LP Bell Tree initially... i hated. The bells were not really tuned in stock form and sounded less than desired so i took it totally apart, placed each bell on the floor and then hit each one. i found that i could build two different tonal scales and still had a third scale to play with. If you look carefully at the LP bell tress (far left on the percussion rack) you can see the 'normal' long ish row of bells below plus a smaller inverted set on top of it. The third set of LP Bells (5 bells total) are the best tuned of the set imho. They took the place of where the Paiste extra thin cymbals (11", 12", 13", 14" and 15") normally reside and really add A LOT to the percussion rack over the cymbals imho. So those large Paiste cymbals made their way onto the main set.

The Paiste extra thin cymbals are kinda rare, not 'mass produced' nor part of their normal range of production a far as i can tell. They have a slightly delayed 'peak' after being hit, and so make GREAT cymbals for interesting work and are ESPECIALLY excellent when you hit a cymbal and then choke it shortly thereafter as the sound peak happens just before a drummer chokes it, whereas normal cymbals peak right after being hit and then decay into the choke.

Sadly, due to stacking all these cymbals i have lost the ability to physically have the room to literally bend a cymbal with my body/arm to have it make a different sound the more/less you physically bend it and hit it with a stick.

Right now i have normal sticks of various sizes/thickness, medium-soft plastic mallets, roundish metal mallets, small felt mallets and on their way to me are a pair of medium gong mallets. My next 'toy'... a violin bow.

Hopefully the above gives a bit more insight to the setup and why. And yes, she truly is a wonderful creative tool that odds are will never be fully mastered. Heck, after two decades i feel that i still have not fully 'mastered' playing Mr Hi-Hat www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNpDQztqWQw though the 13-inch Sabian HHX Groove Hats are perhaps the best HHs i have ever used for expression and ability to do so much with them.

Last edited:
Awesome set, Steven! I went the other direction.

I have very little space and even less talent. This works out really well for me. I'm 2 hours removed from my bandmates so I get mp3 files of the singer/guitarist and can mix them through the brain to the headphones and play along without bothering the rest of the family. When I play with the guys I can fold it up and put it in the back seat for travel. In short...works for me. :D

It's a Yamaha DTXplorer set and I have an Alesis D-4 brain that I used back in college when I built my own pad set. The D-4 has better sounds, IMO, but the software handling the triggers isn't as good so a roll comes out sounding like a machine gun. I haven't tried something like using the MIDI out of the Yamaha to trigger the Alesis. That might work but I have fun with it as is.

Ray

Attachments

• edrums.jpg
    edrums.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 85
Awesome set, Steven!

A most humble thanks.

I went the other direction....

Bigger IS NOT always better and a nice small kit makes one work THAT MUCH harder to really be creative. Especially on an electronic kit (unless you got a Simmons SDX (still my dream electronic set to this day that Bruford showed me back in the day, but so hard to find COMPLETE sets out there). What rally matters is that you are having fun and yes, the virtual drummer sending sound files is way cool! Just wait, once yet get familiar with MIDI you can send your finilized MIDI files to your bandmates who have a MIDI system and that feeds their same sounds you use (lossless audio per se :) ). MIDI really opens up A LOT of possibilities!!!

Reactions: j!m
Back
Top Bottom