DSOTM - MOFI

dfunghi

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I know DSOTM has been discussed and discussed over and over again. Which is best, who mastered what and how Sony screwed US customers in 2016.

This is simply my review of the OP MOFI DSOTM. No need for arguments please. FWIW I have not been overly impressed by the MOFI stuff I have had. I bought a sealed Aja and eventually sold it in favor of my RL.

This is my second copy of this, the first got returned due to way too much noise. $60 VG++ and sounded like a crackle fest. Notoriously poor shop where I live sadly.

Recently in BT someone wanted some Floyd MOFI so it once again piqued my interest in DSOTM MOFI.
I bought a NM $80 copy (G+ cover so it was "only" $80) and gave it the US wash and played it. I must say it is for sure my favorite DSOTM now. Displaced my 30th Ann version. Luckily I have my system dialed in well and the Vandersteen 3A create a wall of sound. There was an occasional pop or tic despite clean looking vinyl. They may go way with repeated wash and play. No underlying noise (surface noise) and quiet in all the important places. I only played side 1 so far. I will play side 2 tonight. The way the music "came at me" and flooded the space really took me by surprise. I had to play it twice it was so good. The mix sounded traditional (IOW sounded same as I expected it to and I bought DSOTM on release and played it all Sumer in 1973, maybe 500 times?) and there were no glaring changes. There was a clarity as well as fullness to this I had never heard before though. My only wish is that it were 100% silent but alas that may not really exist. I will have to settle for 99.7%!

Did I want this to sound better and therefore it did? No way to know. The easiest way for me to describe this version of DSOTM is to say it is compelling. IOW you can't turn away from it or not focus on it as it plays. It consumed me and I it. A really joyful event and worth the money. I can't wait to play it again! I need wife to go out though as I want to really crank it up. Seems like this would benefit form loud playing. The way Bolero does.

I would say anyone that really loves DSOTM should consider scoring the OP MOFI. I figure I can sell some of my others now (many early US pressings here) including a "played once" 2016.

Now if only I can find a MOFI Meddle for less than an arm, leg and buttock cheek.

David, happy you are satisfied. I also have a Mo-FI DSOTM that I got for about $50 because the cover was not great. Enjoy your copy :beerchug:

Back
Top Bottom