Mattie435

Hey guys, Ive been looking for a nice turntable and have found several options on my local craigslist. I am currently debating between the Dual 1009 and the Dual 1264 model. The 1009 is in good condition and looks as if it has been maintained well over the years, and is listed for $110.

The 1264 looks to be in good condition as well, and comes with two cartridges (an Audio Technica and an Ortofon), and is listed for $130. I think the 1264 is a good deal with the extra cartridge included, but the 1009 definitely seems to have more of a fan base.

Welcoming any thoughts!

Yes the 1009. It will likely need to be refurbished, which involves disassembly, cleaning and proper lubrication, but it will deliver years of service after that. Parts sourcing could be an issue but frankly there isn't much to break on them.

Last edited:
Hey guys, Ive been looking for a nice turntable and have found several options on my local craigslist. I am currently debating between the Dual 1009 and the Dual 1264 model. The 1009 is in good condition and looks as if it has been maintained well over the years, and is listed for $110.

The 1264 looks to be in good condition as well, and comes with two cartridges (an Audio Technica and an Ortofon), and is listed for $130. I think the 1264 is a good deal with the extra cartridge included, but the 1009 definitely seems to have more of a fan base.

Welcoming any thoughts!

I have a 1009 and like it for its solid build but there's nothing wrong with the 1264. It has several advantages over the 1009 like anti-skate, lower mass tone-arm, easy to find cartridge sleds, belt drive and strobe.

Last but certainly not least, the lubrication in the 1264 is probably still working as it should. The lube in the 1009, as previously mentioned, will need to be removed and then re-lubed.

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/dual/1264.shtml

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/dual/1009.shtml

1009 also would be my choice, and parts are not hard to find for what usually goes wrong on them. Pats audio has sleds and other parts as well as organdonerparts. The cams are usually the issue with the sled, and any lubing will take an hour or two. Then it's good for another 20 to 30 years. Vinylengine.com has a page for duals and lubing. I used AlvaNia grease on my 1019, cleaned it up and it's working fine for the past 2 years or so . The idler wheel is also an easy fix as well, and may run 50 total for a brand new surfaced one when needed.

The 1009 has plastic arm parts that are alloy on the 1019, its pricier brother. Dual pulled this stunt on every series of models. Normally, I would look at this as a negative, but in the case of this particular model, less arm mass is a good thing. The 1009 sounds great. 'Two thumbs up', as someone used to say.

The 1009 has a platter with twice the mass of the 1264. The 1009 is an idler-drive turntable (the most classic Dual drive type) and the 1264 is belt-drive. The 1009 can play 16, 33, 45, and 78 rpm records, while the 1264 can only play at 33 and 45 rpm. The 1009 can function as a changer with the right spindle, and the 1264 is single-play only.

The 1009 has a platter with twice the mass of the 1264. The 1009 is an idler-drive turntable (the most classic Dual drive type) and the 1264 is belt-drive. The 1009 can play 16, 33, 45, and 78 rpm records, while the 1264 can only play at 33 and 45 rpm. The 1009 can function as a changer with the right spindle, and the 1264 is single-play only.

So you're saying it's better because it:

is Heavier
is an Idler
has 16 & 78 rpm
is a Changer

The 1264 has none of those qualities, but it does have:

Low mass tone-arm
Anti-skate
Strobe
Simpler mechanism

Seems to me an apples and oranges comparison. Like I previously stated, I have a 1009 and like it, but I wouldn't say it's better than any of the light-weight, manual, 2 speed belt drive turntables that I own and use regularly.

I was really saying that the 1009 is more distinctive as a classic Dual, not necessarily that it would sound better than a belt-drive.

I do happen to have a 1009, and I like its mid-60s solidity, but I'm no mechanism zealot. My primary listening tables are direct drive and belt drive. They're a good bit more refined than the 1009, and also a decade or two newer.

There are four turntables at my disposal, all hooked up and operational.
Pioneer PL-630 dd, Dual 701 dd, first generation Dual 1009 idler, Garrard Zero 100 idler.
For some as yet understood reason, I play records on the idler's more frequently than the dd's.
And, the idler's have older, less well regarded cartridges on them.

Well, older but as to the "better regarded" part, I guess it depends on who you talk to.
Garrard Zero 100 - Shure M93ED (with the clip)
Dual 1009 - Empire 880 P
Pioneer PL-630 - Sonus Blue
Dual 701 - Shure V15 III (factory equipment)

Welcoming any thoughts!

If the 1009 is indeed better than the 1264 because it is a heavy idler changer with 78,:rolleyes: then consider the Miracord 50H. It has everything the 1009 has PLUS:

Cueing Lever
Anti-Skate
Full size platter
Hysteresis motor
Much more reliable changing mechanism

and there is one in your area...

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/ele/d/vintage-1970s-elac-model-50-4/6391690603.html

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies, Unfortunately the 1009 sold before I could get to it, but I still couldn't get myself to follow through on the 1264 because of the price tag. In the end I picked up a Dual 1218 in near perfect condition for $90 and Im pretty happy with it. Decided idler was the way to go, as for other brands, I honestly think Duals are great and wanted to stick with an earlier model of theirs

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom