Dual 1019 followed me home from the record store yesterday.

olddude55

Can I keep it? I promise to take swell care of it, really. I'll play records on it and keep it clean and lubed and never get tired of it!

Dual 1019 plays first record.jpg

Everything worked right from the get-go. None of the controls were frozen or any of that. The cartridge sled is a mess, but there's a post from notransistors, I think it's over at the Vinyl Asylum, absolutely the best thing you can do for your old Dual to get the cartridge sled to hold up its end of the bargain.
It's got a Shure V15 Type II in it with Shure VN15E stylus that sounds like it's still good.

Last edited:
Looks good! I always wondered why Dual put an undersized (10") platter on it. IIRC correctly the 1009 and 1019 do have fairly heavy platter though.

The headshell is kind of beat up. I'd love to repaint it but that's too much like work.
Leave the patina, right?

They are a nice turntable. And you got the best wood base the distributor offered, not the crappy one they sold later. Good cartridge too! I have had that combo in the past. Currently don’t have one in my Dual family of five. Have the base on my 1010S. The 1019 I had also had some corrosion on the arm. Hope the headshell holding the cart behaves for you. My 1010 was dropping channels due to loose contacts. I epoxied where the metal contacts are attached to the plastic. Let sit 24 hrs and very slightly bent the contacts out. Took care of that issue. You can also get new replacement head shells off Eprey. If you were to go that route be very careful attaching it to the arm.its very tight. Once a Dual is cleaned and serviced they run a long time without issues. Keep it and welcome to the Dual club.

Eric

Do not waste your money on the printed shells. Only the original or the molded after-markets. And if the 1019 is old enough, the oil wicks around the motor bearings are foam and must be replaced with cotton felt or even just plain cotton. Annoying bit of work.

Printed shells or printed overhang checker. The printed overhang checker, it's damned near impossible to see the diamond at the stylus tip in order to line it up.
Could be my old eyes though.

No, it is the product. I broke the finger lift pivot on a Dual 1218 with one of those printed headshells. They do not fit right.

They don't, even though the one I got for the 1209 does fit. It just doesn't feel right going on the headshell.
And the cartridge adjustment slots are too short.
Luckily, I got three TK-15 sleds that I've been able to modify for the 1209. Looks funky without the knob on the side (they all broke under the most feeble pressure) but it works.

Well, the competing company already has a molded 1019 shell and is about to launch similar for the 12xx units. The prototype I tested for him will be a great product.

No argument there. I'm just showing how 3D doesn't stack up well against molded, not singling out specific vendors.

Last edited:
Can I keep it? I promise to take swell care of it, really. I'll play records on it and keep it clean and lubed and never get tired of it!

View attachment 1194546

Everything worked right from the get-go. None of the controls were frozen or any of that. The cartridge sled is a mess, but there's a post from notransistors, I think it's over at the Vinyl Asylum, absolutely the best thing you can do for your old Dual to get the cartridge sled to hold up its end of the bargain.
It's got a Shure V15 Type II in it with Shure VN15E stylus that sounds like it's still good.

You can definitely keep it olddude ;)

The 1019 is one of my favourite tables. I also find that on average they seem to have the fewest frozen linkage and similar issues of the Dual idlers. Yes the sleds can be a bit problematic but the new replacements work well.

Fixing up that headshell might not be too hard. If it's just a bit of missing paint a marker can do wonders. However not just any marker as Sharpies and others tend to dry purplish. I picked up a "true black" marker in an art supply store and that's how it dries.

If it's worse than that, it's a flat brushed surface so it's easy enough to sand in the same direction as the texture and repaint too.

I have flat black paint here. Need to dust off my modeling skills.
I think the 1019 has the potential to sound better than the 1209 I already have. It's quieter for one thing. Also, it's surprisingly close to the 1209 even though the '09 has a better cart and is playing through my best phono stage.

Great Table..my favourite. I got rid of the Headshell contacts and the plastic and attached the (new) tonearm-cables directly to the cartridge.No more bad contacts, no hum, nothing.

Great Table..my favourite. I got rid of the Headshell contacts and the plastic and attached the (new) tonearm-cables directly to the cartridge.No more bad contacts, no hum, nothing.
There's a video on YouTube of a guy doing just that. Last resort for me, I'd rather stick with the sleds if possible.

Back
Top Bottom