Dual 1019 Restoration

chris_f

Just thought I would share some progress on a Dual 1019 restoration I am working on, and share something that is probably obvious but it for some reason was the last thing I reached for.

Some pics of the underside, this poor thing was dry as a bone.
IMG_20170114_174918.jpg IMG_20170114_174948.jpg
And the obvious part, wiped it down with warm water and used rubbing alcohol and even some mild spray cleaner but it just wouldnt come clean. So almost as a last resort I grabbed a magic eraser. You can see on the right where I rubbed it down with the magic eraser, and on the left where it had been cleaned previously. Nothing would take the film off and I didnt want to use anything harsher than I had. Magic eraser really is magic..
IMG_20170116_204125.jpg

For cleaning grime off of painted metal surfaces, I use....Nevr-Dull Magic Wadding Polish.....it doesn't harm the finish, it actually polishes it while cleaning.

Last edited:
Just make sure when doing that cam after taking it off to be extremely careful with the underside spring . They pop off and you'll never find it again. Use a piece of thread to make sure it doesn't go far.

For cleaning grime off of painted metal surfaces, I use....Nevr-Dull Magic Wadding Polish.....it doesn't harm the finish, it actually polishes it while cleaning.
I meant to pick some up the other day and was going to use that on the aluminum. I love that stuff.

Just make sure when doing that cam after taking it off to be extremely careful with the underside spring . They pop off and you'll never find it again. Use a piece of thread to make sure it doesn't go far.
I didnt take any pics yet but got the cam cleaned up and realized I didnt have any silicone for the friction plate. I like the string idea, I will keep that in mind when I pull it back apart.

also, get yourself alvania grease from ebay, there's a person on there who sells a "kit" for the 1019 and it includes that and replacement pasrts for the motor.

Some will disagree Im sure but at this point I dont plan on using any grease. If after getting it cleaned up there are areas I decide need a touch I have some that I plan to use. But my 1219 doesnt have any in it so I dont see any reason this one will. Silicone should be here today and I can finish getting the gear back together and I will take some more pics.

It's an interesting idea, but you need grease or some lubricant. That's why the Dual service manual has lubrication guides. You don't want to be a WD40 maniac ( if I never clean up a Dual with that again..) but I use Superlube to sub on the cam and slider parts. I use electric motor oil (30wt) when I take down the motor. Good luck!

The grease actually helps with the auto function, if not, it will not work properly over time.

Some will disagree Im sure but at this point I dont plan on using any grease. If after getting it cleaned up there are areas I decide need a touch I have some that I plan to use. But my 1219 doesnt have any in it so I dont see any reason this one will. Silicone should be here today and I can finish getting the gear back together and I will take some more pics.

I'm sure the engineers who designed the turntable would disagree with you.

It will be lubed, just not with grease. And you also have to keep in mind, what the engineers intended and what gets put into production arent always agreeable either. I work in manufacturing, I see it all the time. I would rather have to lube it periodically than know at some point I am going to have to tear it apart again.

Cool. I think we are all saying the same thing. It is possible to duplicate the old grease, but I don't recommend the amber death grease even if you could find it. Phono Lube, SuperLube, any synthetic lubricant of substance can do the job. It won't turn into cement in 20 years.

Well it was there when I was putting it back together the first time but I must not have had it in place properly, because the little spring on the cam is gone :(

What is the donor parts site?

** Update - I found it - organdonorparts. I missed that but that is a cool resource.

Last edited:
Just thought I would share some progress on a Dual 1019 restoration I am working on, and share something that is probably obvious but it for some reason was the last thing I reached for.

Some pics of the underside, this poor thing was dry as a bone.
View attachment 853075 View attachment 853076
And the obvious part, wiped it down with warm water and used rubbing alcohol and even some mild spray cleaner but it just wouldnt come clean. So almost as a last resort I grabbed a magic eraser. You can see on the right where I rubbed it down with the magic eraser, and on the left where it had been cleaned previously. Nothing would take the film off and I didnt want to use anything harsher than I had. Magic eraser really is magic..
View attachment 853077

Those pics look familiar to me. lost count of the amount of times I flipped mine over to get things just right.

Dual 1019_1.jpg

Hope you're having fun. The 1019 is very satisfying once you have it up and running.

I have been having a blast with these, although my first attempt with a 1019 isnt going nearly as well as my first 1219. Not sure where I didnt have everything setup quite right but the first time I put it back together I ended up breaking the cam gear. Had read if the shut off lever wasnt moving freely this could happen but everything is moving as it should. I think the start/stop lever crashed into the shutoff lever on the cam gear and spun it causing it to crash into the cuing lever. Ultimately breaking the gear. Guess this weekend I will make attempt number two.

Back
Top Bottom