Dual 1019: Shure cartridge gizmo

mhardy6647

Lunatic Member
Hello folks:

I KNOW I mentioned this here before, but I cannot locate the post via search, so I am starting anew.

I have a fairly nice condition Dual 1019 given to me by a friend of ours. It's equipped with a Shure cartridge mounted in the strangest, spring-suspended gadget I've ever seen lurking in a record player. I happened upon the manual for this record player last night, and there is no sign of nor mention of such a gadget on the headshell (cartridge mount)... so I am left with the conclusion that it's part of the Shure. I got ambitious enough today to snap a few photos, so I thought I'd share. I am wondering if this is some Stone Age version of the 'dynamic stabilizer' still found on the M97xe... and/or a device to guard the stylus/cantilever against snappage (to coin a word).

Thoughts? Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
THis would be of academic interest only, 'cept the thingy drags (or, I think more precisely, makes the cartridge body drag) on the record if it plays.

I want to rip it off! Think that's OK?

Taking a second look, it looks like you can adjust the spring preload by moving the end of the spring to a different hole. That might help keep the cart from dragging. I'd still get rid of it though.

Yeah, I noticed that too.

Shortly after I posted, I pulled it out and determined that, indeed, the cartridge body is one with (spotwelded to) that... gadget. Note that the device is labeled M80E-D19... a Shure M80 custom-made for the D[ual 10]19?

Interesting note. The 1019 has a dynamically balanced arm, and the instruction manual recommends amazing your friends by tipping up one side of the tt with a stack of books (up to 60 degree angle) and starting an automatic play cycle... successfully. It also says the arm'll track properly at 90 degrees if the record's started first (i.e., at a 60 tilt or less)! Guess they should've used these in juke boxes, eh?

Never saw one of these!!!

Had a lot of Shure Carts over the last 30 plus years and never saw one. I would suggest replacing the cart. I have two Duals that use that headshell. They are nice sounding tables! I run the 1009F and a 1009 daily. I have a Shure M55 on one and a Shure Radio Shack on the other. Have fun with the 1019...Eric :D

I remember that apparatus -- I believe it was supposed to protect the stylus/cantilever from destruction if the arm crashed down on the record. At the time, a lot of people didn't understand the importance of rigidity and low resonance in arm/cartridge/record system. Hence things like the Dual cartridge carrier that could adjust angle for single play or stacked records, but which relied on springs to hold the carrier in the correct location.
Now its obvious that adding an extra compliance isn't going to help, but back then it was not.
I'd switch cartridges.

My 1019 had the same thing. It actually sounded pretty good, but it always looked like that springy-business was going to rub against the LP. I pulled off that goofy looking cart and put on a shure M97xe and it sounds excellent. I saved the old cart anyway, just because i thought it was one strange setup.

-j

I was envisioning the sound of a rusty screen door opening while the record was playing! :lmao: I saw those things in some consoles too.

That is what was called a floating cartridge and it was to protect the stylus
and the record if you dropped the arm. Those assemblies were available
from Shure for Dual, Garrard and Miracord. These were quite popular in
the 60's.
Zenith was actually the first on the market with it in 1962 or 63, they called
it the Micro Touch 2 Gram free floating cartridge. "Drop it! Slide it! Press it
down! It is imposssible to damage a fine stereo record." That was hype from
the Zenith ads. Other manufacturers quickly joined in Philco "Scratch Guard",
RCA "Feather Action", Airline "Mar-Guard". Sears and Ge had them also but
I can't remember what they called them. Shure joined the crowd in the
mid-60's. They actually did prevent audible scratches from ham fisted
handling.

There's one of these on eBAY right now!?!
M80-D19a.jpg

From "The Turntable Factory". The BIN seems a might... pricey...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=48649&item=5730739200&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Wow is that pricey!!!

Joel wants 124.99 for that cart! I have a Dual 1009F and Dual 1009SK,both complete with base and decent dust covers. I paid a $105 with freight for both :yes: Would not mind having it but that too rich for me. May be one will show up someday.

Eric

Resurrecta-thread

I took a detour to Middle River on my way home from work yesterday and collected a new-to-me Dual 1019 turntable that I found on CL. It has the aforementioned spring-loaded Shure cartridge.

9863373664_5f869fdb62_c.jpg

I hooked it up today to my RX-V2700 and so far so good. I'm very pleased with the results.

Old post! Great find today. Nice sounding table. Glad the head it works. The headshells can be a PITA. Glad my 1010S and 1015 both work. The 1010 is a daily driver. I end the day with a LP. Enjoy it. Can't believe this post goes back to '04!

Back
Top Bottom