Dual 1209 Tone arm spring tension constant

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by youssef, Jun 12, 2018.

1. youssef

youssef New Member

Hello All. I am fairly new here. Been lurking, reading, learning.... I have recently come into possession of some turntables. Dual, Garrard and B&O. I am going through them one by one. surface cleaning, checking set down points, change spindle function etc.

A Dual 1209 is MIS-behaving. the tone arm will not release horizontal tension spring. it has about 3 inches of "FREE" movement from rest to about 2 lead in tracks width and then is spring loaded any further over the record.

after tilting the player up onto its side to take a look under the hood, to no avail, I set it back down and low and behold the tone arm was completely free. plugged it back in and hit start. same thing again.

then I tilted it again and this time manually brought over the tone arm to start and it worked fine....

Any ideas. I have looked for some time for similar issues ppl have had, but I don't think I am using the correct terms.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. youssef

youssef New Member

So I looked at it again last night. I looks like the auto return does not disengage once it has reached the point ( over the lead in of record) at which the steurpimple would engage and then bring it the rest of the way home to rest.

Anyone?

3. olddude55

olddude55 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have a 1209 (and a 1019) in regular use right now, but I'm not quite grasping what is going on with yours. Does the arm return after playing the first few tracks? Does it not return at all?
    There's an adjustment screw under the tone arm between the arm rest and size control lever. This is the adjustment for the arm set-down point. I'd check that, also check the anti-skate. If the grease on the anti-skate is frozen, and it probably is, you might have full anti-skating. My 1209, I turn anti-skate to zero.
    Hope this helps.

4. youssef

youssef New Member

the retun spring stays engaged at the start of play....so in auto operation or manual set down on lead in the tone arm will track and play for a few seconds and then hit a wall and[​IMG] stop tracking inward. if you cue the tone arm up and push it towards the center of the record it is "spring loaded".

the circled bar/spring, moves when I push on the tone arm to force it to move toward the center spindle.

Attached Files:

5. olddude55

Everything under yours looks the same as mine, except I spent about two hours with Q-Tips and alcohol removing all the old grease and replacing it with white lithium grease.
    The part you circled with the spring, the forked end of the metal slider should slide easily on the brass-colored part that attaches to the on/off switch. Also, the part of the mechanism where there would be a steuerpimpel if the 1209 had one, make sure all of that is clean, clean, clean.
    That's about all I can think of that might be causing the issue.

6. youssef

youssef New Member

7. olddude55

I'm stumped, but I'm no expert either. I've only got the two Duals and was lucky on both that nothing was wrong with them other than bad grease on the 1209.

8. NoTransistors

NoTransistors Dual Turntables Super-Restorer Subscriber

The balls cannot get damaged. The retainer and the needle can. Also, the retainer can easily get dislodged.

9. youssef

youssef New Member

I think the answer is here. the spring on 229 is what is keeping the tone arm under tension at all times

upload_2018-6-14_11-14-56.png

10. NoTransistors

Look at what happens when I am tired. This post was supposed to be with the thread of the 1229Q.

11. NoTransistors

Back to your issue. You have some rocket ship there. The problem is the indexing bar. It is still engaged after the cycling completes.