dual 1211

Kiwick

slave to 3 equines
Hi,

I have a dual 1211 complete with a nice wood plinth, i can't see any antiskating adjustment so i guess there's no antiskating compensation, i don't really care about audiophile performances, but is it rerasonably safe to play my valuable records on this TT or the lack of antiskating is going to put excessive wear on them?

I can't see any Dual table causing damage to an LP if it has its original equipment. The Dual line of tables are well respected around here. Does the 1211 have the funky floating counter-weight? I never really understood its purpose. But I'm sure there are other that will chime in with a more precise answer to your question.

I see theres a service manual in english on vinylengine for your deck, I would go there and take a look and check a model or so above and below for an op manual. not familiar with your model but I know my 1019 has antiskate, as do all my 12 series, only one doesnt seem to is my 1010.

The counterweight is mounted on the arm in the 1211 and can be adjusted by sliding it back and forth to set the zero, then you fine tune the tracking force with a separate spring loaded dial on the pivot,

The previous owner finally found the manual and gave it to me, there's no mention of any antiskating device on it, and it's fitted with a Dual 650 crystal cartridge, also it specifies that magnetic cartridges can be fitted only on decks fitted with four pole motor which is the one with two coils, mine has only one coil so it's a two pole motor... maybe two pole motors have excessive stray field for magnetic cartridges?

So now we know that this is a BOTL table with no antiskating and a crystal cartridge, would you still pimp it up with a magnetic cartridge in and play your treasured records on it?

Last edited:
I'm restoring it now, the there's something wrong with the transmission as the speed is sometimes too slow and sometimes too fast, also the controls are stuck on "start" and "45"

I'm restoring it now, the there's something wrong with the transmission as the speed is sometimes too slow and sometimes too fast, also the controls are stuck on "start" and "45"[/QUOTe

Get it cleaned up and stabilized..if you get the speed straight..then swap out the ceramic for mag...or, leave as is for the old school platters and find another little higher up the chain machine for modern disc use. As far as botl goes..that 1010 i have is a pretty crude old bugger but Id take that over quite a few more modern decks

Back
Top Bottom