Dual 1216 - Hope I didn't screw up

Seems your biggest concern should be that it is packed correctly for shipping. You might want to touch base with the seller to ensure he packs it according to the criteria found here on AK.
You got yourself one nice TT!!

I really wanted a 1219 but, they seem to be pricey. Even ones that need servicing.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between this one and say the 1219, and 1229?

I really wanted a 1219 but, they seem to be pricey. Even ones that need servicing.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between this one and say the 1219, and 1229?

If it is similar to a 1218 I have, it is mainly just a little smaller than the 1219 or 29. The platter is not full size. The mechanisms under it are similar. most Duals of this vintage are similar. Hope it doesn't need dampening fluid, major pain to replace.

That looks exactly like my 1215S. Excellent tt. Smaller platter (10.5") than my 1219, (12"). I use it to play 78s with a GE RPX mono cartridge.

Yeah, what yockmer said! Mine was packaged incorrectly and it was introduction into fixing a Dual. After reading it over it does look like he knows his Duals.

Have fun and enjoy!!!!!

Dual made all their turntables of any particular model year appear similar. But, alas, the differences may be huge. This turntable is a poor cousin to the 1218, with major arm parts in plastic and a motor that is simply 'asynchronous'. I think that the biggest concern, aside from proper packing, would be the unweighted rumble spec. But in the scheme of things, this little turntable probably has less plastic than a considerably-more-expensive CS-5000. Perhaps you are smarter than most of us, in that you did not spend above your comfort level. So please do enjoy your new turntable until you score that mint Dual 1219 for $10 at the next garage sale. How do you think I got mine?

Asynchronous does not lock into the line frequency, which is more or less constant. Hope I spelled it right.
So this simpler-design motor will change speed with load and possibly voltage.

Not a big issue when playing shellac, as those discs are usually far from High Fidelity.

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with that TT. It's a decent price for that era 10" platter Dual idler, at least in today's market and the apparent condition of it. I just picked up a 1225, seems to be a lesser "cousin" to that 1216, at a thrift store for $10 BEAT to S**t.!

Got it cleaned up, lubed, adjusted, etc.- Sounds Excellent! I recently sold an excellent 1019, and this sounds darn close.

You should be quite happy, Enjoy!
-Gary

Did I label it as 'bad'? I may be a snob, as I believe that a turntable needs to be quiet and free from audible wow/flutter. I still vividly remember my cousin tossing a new Dual 1218, because the rumble was so annoying.

Did I label it as 'bad'? I may be a snob, as I believe that a turntable needs to be quiet and free from audible wow/flutter. I still vividly remember my cousin tossing a new Dual 1218, because the rumble was so annoying.

Did I say you did?

I'm just reassuring the OP it should be a fine sounding TT for the money/ apparent condition.
For $70 bucks, I don't anticipate it will be fluctuating speeds between the chipmunks and the creature from the black lagoon. I know you are the resident Dual expert on this site, and I respect that. But I've owned 5 Dual's from various eras and price/ quality levels. I personally have not had one that was remotely like your cousin's. Maybe if you were a bit older then, you could have fixed it.

Asynchronous does not lock into the line frequency, which is more or less constant. Hope I spelled it right.
So this simpler-design motor will change speed with load and possibly voltage.

Not a big issue when playing shellac, as those discs are usually far from High Fidelity.

Not that big an issue at all, actually, even for hi-fi playback. The quality of the motor is more important than the type. Some turntables that have "asynchronous" motors (it's more often called an INDUCTION motor by those who are not trying to put them down): the Dual 1019, the various Lencos and the Garrard 301 and 401.

Dual made all their turntables of any particular model year appear similar. But, alas, the differences may be huge. This turntable is a poor cousin to the 1218, with major arm parts in plastic and a motor that is simply 'asynchronous'. I think that the biggest concern, aside from proper packing, would be the unweighted rumble spec. But in the scheme of things, this little turntable probably has less plastic than a considerably-more-expensive CS-5000. Perhaps you are smarter than most of us, in that you did not spend above your comfort level. So please do enjoy your new turntable until you score that mint Dual 1219 for $10 at the next garage sale. How do you think I got mine?

Yes, we've spoken in detail about the 1219 on the phone, and it's the table I really want. My hope is that this holds me over until I find a serviceable 1219 at a reasonable price.

I'll post some pics, and a little video of the table in action when it gets here (Tomorrow or Friday)

Last edited:
Only $18 for shipping? Since you got the TT for only $70, I would throw him $20 more for extra packing materials or a better shipping service. That extra $20 could go a long long way.

Well, here she is. Sounds nice and quiet to me. Keep in mind if you watch the video that I put on a poor condition album to test it with

http://youtu.be/cLH3ModKBX8

IMG_1391.jpg

IMG_1392.jpg

IMG_1393.jpg

IMG_1394.jpg

IMG_1395.jpg

IMG_1396.jpg

IMG_1397.jpg

IMG_1398.jpg

Nice looking table. Did you get a dust cover with it? I'm surprised he shipped it in the base and also that he shipped it without removing the platter. It made it safely, so that's all that matters. Have fun with your new toy. I have 2 Duals myself.

Congrats Marc!!!!! The seller certainly packed it well and the video verifies you got a great turntable!!! Enjoy the music!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom