Dual 1219 for repair worth the price & time?

I bought a Dual 1219 a few weeks ago off eBay and it cost $268 to get it rebuilt. You really don't know what you will run in to.

If I had it to do over again I would just buy one rebuilt from Bill at fixmydual.com and be done with it.

I hate to say it, but ZeroJunk is right. I recently bought a 1019 and 1229 for parts/repair and have run into so many issues and spent a lot of money trying to get them going. Much more than I had planned. The tonearm was bent and one of the screws broken on the 1019's tonearm, so I had to buy another table for parts. For the money and frustration, I would have been better off buying two fully restored tables. I'm sure that these will be very nice once I get them going though. I almost have the 1229 ready to play records.

The table that you're considering does look very nice though. I would expect, at a minimum that the table will need a complete disassembly, cleaning, relube and likely a few parts. If you are handy with this sort of thing, I would say go for it. If not, I would either plan on sending it out for restoration by one of the experts such as Bill, Seth, or Fred , or buy a table that's been fully restored.

I don't know if you noticed or not, but I just saw that the speed selector lever is broken off on the table that you linked to.

Last edited:
-looks like a great price IF you are local to the auction, I would be very wary of someone shipping a TT who does not do it for a living. Plus you can test it if you can pick it up. That case is nice too.

-Just had Bill at FixMyDUal refurb / CLA my 1219 and could not be more pleased with reasonable cost, wonderful phone help, and very fast turn-around.

I'd just like to have the combo base dustcover---forget the turntable , I have a 1229 which
I'd slide right in...

The 1219 is among the most popular of the Dual idlers, but unless it has already had some thorough maintenance, you can expect that it will likely need old dried lube cleaned in the various gears and linkages and possibly also motor bearing cleaning and relube. There are other things that could be problems or broken. How lucky are you feeling?

I ordered my 1229 long distance and was lucky enough to get it up and running, after learning to do maintenance myself, in about a month. But I wouldn't discourage ordering one from Bill. There have been a few testimonials here on AK from his recent refurb or repair customers already this year, one of them only a couple days ago.

When I was thinking about getting a Dual and when I was a new Dual owner, I read hundreds of pages of old AK posts about people dealing intimately with their issues and their enjoyment. The AK search function is like the cover of an encyclopedia. Once you've done most of the basic maintenance, if that is all your machine needed, you are in for a lot of good times.

At least that ebay vendor knows to pack the heavy platter separately! It would be like a sledgehammer if it got loose in the box. That sure is a pretty base and dustcover. Much nicer than the one I have.

I have that exact table and case, waiting to be sent to fixmydual.

I paid $40

I expect to pay $200+ to get it restored

Then it will be worth $150 MAYBE

but I love vintage gear

I have that exact table and case, waiting to be sent to fixmydual.

I paid $40

I expect to pay $200+ to get it restored

Then it will be worth $150 MAYBE

but I love vintage gear

Omegaman, if you won't part with that restored TT, then it will be priceless.

I hope you guys were kidding. Recently acquired a 1219 FOR FREE. What. A. Night. Mare. Emphasis on the periods.

Part it. Cartridge carrier is $25, as is motor, and speed selector can assembly and changer spindle, a good tone arm w/ unbroken clips in the single/multi assembly is $50. Other parts like platters, dust covers, bases, levers and springs all have value too.
One can easily sell $150 in parts off one if they done care to refurb the half dozen areas that need attention, plus the value of any cart that may be included.
There is an excellent .pdf file out there for restoration that most can easily follow if you do want to rehab it yourself too

Part it. Cartridge carrier is $25, as is motor, and speed selector can assembly and changer spindle, a good tone arm w/ unbroken clips in the single/multi assembly is $50. Other parts like platters, dust covers, bases, levers and springs all have value too.
One can easily sell $150 in parts off one if they done care to refurb the half dozen areas that need attention, plus the value of any cart that may be included.
There is an excellent .pdf file out there for restoration that most can easily follow if you do want to rehab it yourself too

I think there's enough wrong with it that it would not be worth restoring. Needs a new tonearm and cartridge carrier, it doesn't function properly - starts, places the needle, drops and then immediately returns to rest position.

Thank-you for the advice.

I've always thought that Duals are way over-complicated and ultimately not that great. Still, I will always buy cheap 12XX series tables, but always to flip to whatever sucker wants to get involved with them.

I've always thought that Duals are way over-complicated and ultimately not that great. Still, I will always buy cheap 12XX series tables, but always to flip to whatever sucker wants to get involved with them.

Dual did a fantastic job in designing and manufacturing these tables when you consider that these tables are 40 years and older. Yes, they are complicated, but they work really well if they aren’t abused. Have you ever seen the video of one playing tilted?

I’ve only ever had the courage to tilt two of mine 30 degrees.

I find that thorens are similar and far less to muddle with. Appreciate the advice - I am planning to part it out especially since I cannot even source a tonearm right now. I am impressed with the suspension which is quite robust.

Back
Top Bottom