Dual 1219 I just got today

Okay one thing I can't figure out is I can only get a record on it in multi play mode. It drops fine in multi play but like to use single play and I can't get a album on it? am I doing something wrong?

I did some more work. I replaced the broken sleeve washer lubed the Cueing Damper. Works great now. Here is a pic of the new rubber sleeve washer.

Attachments

• CIMG9670.JPG
    CIMG9670.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 28
Mine is definitely a first model of this TT. You can see the difference in the way the parts on the bottom look. All the pics I have seen of others are slightly different. I have steel where some are plastic.

Attachments

• CIMG9658.JPG
    CIMG9658.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 21
  • CIMG9661.JPG
    CIMG9661.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 19
  • CIMG9664.JPG
    CIMG9664.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 19
Congrats - great table! Nice cartridge too. Bet it sounds great. Duals are intimidating but worth it!

Question - in the background, is that a Technics Quad? It looks a lot like my SA-8500X! Which is currently dead. :(

Congrats - great table! Nice cartridge too. Bet it sounds great. Duals are intimidating but worth it!

Question - in the background, is that a Technics Quad? It looks a lot like my SA-8500X! Which is currently dead. :(

Yes it is. It is a SA 8000X and it works great. It is what I am using to test the Dual.

I did a little work on the Plinth. It looks better in person than it does in pics.

Attachments

• CIMG9673.JPG
    CIMG9673.JPG
    256.9 KB · Views: 21
  • CIMG9675.JPG
    CIMG9675.JPG
    268.6 KB · Views: 18
  • CIMG9678.JPG
    CIMG9678.JPG
    285.1 KB · Views: 19
  • CIMG9681.JPG
    CIMG9681.JPG
    268.4 KB · Views: 18
  • CIMG9686.JPG
    CIMG9686.JPG
    204.8 KB · Views: 21

Okay I have done most of the refurbishing in this link. But on the topic of cleaning the electric motor this link states to use 10w30 motor oil. Well I rebuild antique fans as a hobby. I even rewind the motors if they are burnt up. I can tell you guys if you clean and lube one of these electric motors do NOT use 10w30 motor oil. It has detergents in it that will cause dirt to deposit in your brass motor bushings and over a period of time ware them out. You guys all should use proper electric motor bearing oil. You can buy it at home depot or lowes. It is 3in1 in the red,white and blue bottle. It is not regular 3in1 so don't use that. Here is a pic of the right stuff. It is all I use on my $1,000 electric fans and is the only thing I would use on one of these TT motors. Zoom Spout oil is great also.

Attachments

• oil.gif
    oil.gif
    29.2 KB · Views: 12
  • CIMG2818.JPG
    CIMG2818.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 12
I have been using non-detergent 10W somethng for 30 years. Knock on wood, no issues with these motors. My Dual 1229Q has been oiled a nice few times since new. It would have been nice if Dual had made it a bit easier. Bushings are still snug and quiet.
To each his own, as they say.

I agree with Seth on this one. I have not worked on as many Duals or as long as he has but have used full synthetic 10W on a lot of tables without issue.

I have been using non-detergent 10W somethng for 30 years. Knock on wood, no issues with these motors. My Dual 1229Q has been oiled a nice few times since new. It would have been nice if Dual had made it a bit easier. Bushings are still snug and quiet. To each his own, as they say.

This is what Dualcan tells you to use. That is basically what I am telling you guys you should use. If motor oil is okay then use it. I personally will stick with the proper oil for electric motors. It is not expensive and that is what it is made for.

From Dualcans Restoration page (14.Put light machine oil into brass bearing bore, to the top of the brass
housing. Wait for the oil to absorb into the dry felt rings and oil a
second time.)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iunh5z2zqod1px7/Servicing Dual Motors and Drives.pdf?dl=0

Back
Top Bottom