Dual 1229 Idler Wheels

OK. Thanks for the clarification (tho now I feel like a moron). . I was confusing the two. This is my first idler.

I forgot to ask - polish the crap out of it with what? Something like Brasso? Or just some 0000 steel wool?

The zinc oxide leaves a hard film that does not Noxon off. Use the finest steel wool. If you did not have a paper strobe, you could use a soap pad, as the soap lubricates the surface.

Last edited:
Cool. Thanks. I think it’s clear now. Thanks so much for the info and especially for everyone’s patience with my stupidity. It all makes sense now that I’m home and actually looking at it.

I’ll report back with the results.

@NoTrasistors - OK - I've polished the contact surface on the rim (with 0000 steel wool), dressed the wheel (with 400 grit spinning it on my drill), and lubed up the spindle the idler wheel sits on. It's waaaaay more quiet, but there still remains a hint of vintage Hoover. Maybe I'm being too picky and listening for it now. I'm going to take the platter off and try to get it cleaner tho i feel i did "polish the crap out of it", as recommended. Is there something else I should focus on?

@stereofisher - I love this Dual. I've had many decks in my day - Technics DD, Thorens TDs, newer Pro-jects, etc. This is by far my favorite. It may not be as sexy and sought after as a Thorens, but I have to say I think it's way more musical. I know that sounds dumb (and that I'll probably get flamed for that). The Thorens may pull more detail out (w/the same cart) - maybe, but there's just something about the Dual that makes spinning vinyl more fun, and I do think it's more musical than any belt drive I've had (and not as fussy!). That's just my opinion and I realize it's subjective. I'm not knocking the others I've mentioned. I just personally like this one the best. I've read many of your posts - so thanks for all the sharing of info. I'd like to get my hands on a 1219 or 1229 in non working condition so I can take it a part and learn/work on it w/o worry about ruining my daily driver (which is now my 1229). If you guys have any 1219 or 1229 cadavers you're looking to part with let me know - but know that I'll be asking you a million questions too :).

Thanks so much everyone.

@NoTrasistors - OK - I've polished the contact surface on the rim (with 0000 steel wool), dressed the wheel (with 400 grit spinning it on my drill), and lubed up the spindle the idler wheel sits on. It's waaaaay more quiet, but there still remains a hint of vintage Hoover. Maybe I'm being too picky and listening for it now. I'm going to take the platter off and try to get it cleaner tho i feel i did "polish the crap out of it", as recommended. Is there something else I should focus on?

@stereofisher - I love this Dual. I've had many decks in my day - Technics DD, Thorens TDs, newer Pro-jects, etc. This is by far my favorite. It may not be as sexy and sought after as a Thorens, but I have to say I think it's way more musical. I know that sounds dumb (and that I'll probably get flamed for that). The Thorens may pull more detail out (w/the same cart) - maybe, but there's just something about the Dual that makes spinning vinyl more fun, and I do think it's more musical than any belt drive I've had (and not as fussy!). That's just my opinion and I realize it's subjective. I'm not knocking the others I've mentioned. I just personally like this one the best. I've read many of your posts - so thanks for all the sharing of info. I'd like to get my hands on a 1219 or 1229 in non working condition so I can take it a part and learn/work on it w/o worry about ruining my daily driver (which is now my 1229). If you guys have any 1219 or 1229 cadavers you're looking to part with let me know - but know that I'll be asking you a million questions too :).

Thanks so much everyone.
C

A junker is a good way to learn how a Dual works. My Guinea pig was a 1218. Never got it going but it taught me the fundamentals. Later relished it on Eprey and got my $$ back. I like the looks of the 1219/1229s. The 1219 pictured has the German built base and dust cover. Have always worked on later version of 1219s. This past summer I got a "parts" 1219. It's arm was broken, but the brushed aluminum arm tube was undamaged, as was the little printed circuit board. Was able to unsolder the wires underneath, put on a replacement arm piece that holds the cartridge sled. Resoldered the wires underneath. This one is an early 1219. There is a second adjustment that raises the tonearm! . Cosmetically it's close to perfect! Lives on the shop system.

Last year, I started playing with Garrard SL95s. Like my experience with the Dual 1218, I did not have much success, but learned a lot about the problems with 40 year old dried out grease! There was a lot of posts on the Zero 100 here. Put them on my short list. Was up to 4 1219s. Went to thin the heard selling 2 to my friend at our record store. While walking out I spotted a Zero 100! Mine. From the experience from the SL95s I was able to get it going. Ended up with a second one. Got it for parts but was able to repair its arm. Got it for its nicer base. Put it one unit one. It also had a Shure V15 type three! Got a new stylus for it and it lives on my first Zero. Got a third Zero for its wood base. The eBay did not pack well. It was broken in two corners. I broke the other 2 corners. Reglued it. Using that on unit 2. Have a Shure M91ED on it. Got a Pickering XV-15 with yet another junk Zero. Like the other 2 Zeros, it speed selector and start levers were frozen. Yet again, another project.

This trip in my life has been a lot of fun. Just got more records from a customer this week. The journey continous. Here is a pic of my first Zero 100.IMG_0199.JPG

Sometimes, in spite of much effort, a wheel is just plain noisy. Usually from a warp or a flat spot. Accept Eric's generous offer. Good wheels are getting kind of rare. BTW, I used to buy them new for about three and one half dollars each from the importer.

Sure - I'll take that advice and the wheel, thanks! I'll PM you, @stereofisher. So any 12 series Dual will work for learning purposes? I do occasionally see 1225s or 1218s that usually sell much cheaper than 1219s and 29s on CL. I'll keep an eye out for one. How do you like those Garrands? They look cool (that's a funky tonearm). Do they sound as good as the Duals?

Thanks!

Thanks so much everyone.
Love my 1229. It's the only table in my house that's stayed put in a system since I got it. All others have come and gone, including some nice Thorens, etc.

I love Duals. I started learning with the 1209; worked up from there. I currently have a 1229Q and a 1219 that are waiting on attention, but I need to find a speed selector lever for the 1229Q before it will get serviced; I think I'll keep it in my "stable" when I'm done. The 1219 is great in its simplicity, so it may stay around as well! Or I'll find a friend who needs a solid turntable, either way I'll be happy.

It's been a while, but I've worked on several Zero 100's, as well! Probably not like you guys - I'm just around 10 or so that I've worked on and released back into the wild, but I enjoyed the work and the results. Very nice performers, once serviced.

That #$%*#ing little lever. Never comes up for sale. I have spare speed levers from 1219, and am pondering the notion of altering one to fit.

That #$%*#ing little lever. Never comes up for sale. I have spare speed levers from 1219, and am pondering the notion of altering one to fit.
Whenever I find one, I believe I’ll try to get one 3D printed using it as a template - hopefully that will be a plausible solution!

The printed material needs to not only be strong, but it has to receive the machined end of the brass rod. The rod's penetration into the lever is very shallow, as that area of the knob has very little depth. One of Dual's finer moments. On a par with the plastic speed lever on the later 1219. Please keep us informed.

Sometimes, in spite of much effort, a wheel is just plain noisy. Usually from a warp or a flat spot. Accept Eric's generous offer. Good wheels are getting kind of rare. BTW, I used to buy them new for about three and one half dollars each from the importer.

Truer words have never been said. Remember $3.50 idler wheels new, and $5.00 cartridge sleds. And when these Dual classics were new, and when they were 4 and 5 year old turntables and when traded in, and $100 bought one a fully overhauled 1218 with a 30 day warranty and a good Shure installed with a new stylus. Those days are gone!

Truer words have never been said. Remember $3.50 idler wheels new, and $5.00 cartridge sleds. And when these Dual classics were new, and when they were 4 and 5 year old turntables and when traded in, and $100 bought one a fully overhauled 1218 with a 30 day warranty and a good Shure installed with a new stylus. Those days are gone!
Those were the days, my friend!

Has anybody had any empirical experience with these new Russian Federation CNC idler tires? https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Dual-1219-1...663619?hash=item2f37cd4a03:g:PpEAAOSw8hhawU7o
Not really interested in opinions that are not backed up by quantifiable results as I know there will be haters that will render an opinion not having tried it themselves (sorry but it is the cynic in me). I bought a similar Russian Federation CNC cut idler for my Lenco L70 and it is light years ahead of the nylon wheel it replaced. The tires work fantastic. Thinking of getting one for my 1229???

Hello there,

I am very interested in the above cnc idler wheel from Russia. I have found so many great tips on this board and read a few of them many times. I own a 1219 with the CK20 base and absolutely love it. I am just looking for that extra bit of noise reduction. I have polished the inside rim of the platter and sanded the idler wheel, etc. This machined idler wheel seems like a good bet just not a lot of information around about it. Even though I have read so many posts on here, this is the first time that I have replied.

-Sean

Back
Top Bottom