Dual 1246 Queing Issue

Luvmonterey

I replaced a missing steurenpimple yesterday with a temporary made from coax cable until I can get a new one. The tone arm now queues, but on start up, the stylus lands about a mm too far toward the spindle, so the lp is already playing. I read the service manual and tried to make the fine adjustment with the screw under the Dual logo, but I have it all the way to the end of the adjustment range, and it seems like this adjustment is doing nothing, regardless of the direction I turn the screw. Is there another place where I can make an adjustment? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Are you adjusting the screw when in the 45 or 7" setting? Some Dual are that way, but I think on the 1246 you turn the screw for set down point for LPs when in the 33 or 12" position, according to the Owners Manual.

Last edited:
Actually, I just checked the Owners Manual and it contradicts the Service Manual. The OM says:

upload_2017-5-20_10-9-32.png

and the SM says this:

upload_2017-5-20_10-10-18.png

Are you adjusting the screw when in the 45 or 7" setting? Some Dual are that way, but I think on the 1246 you turn the screw for set down point for LPs when in the 33 or 12" position, according to the Owners Manual.
There is an adjustment screw for the 33 1/2 speed and the 45 speed. I'm adjusting the screw accessible when set to 33 1/2. Thanks!

There is an adjustment screw for the 33 1/2 speed and the 45 speed. I'm adjusting the screw accessible when set to 33 1/2. Thanks!

Read the second part of my second message. I think the OM is wrong. The SM says put it in 45. That's more typical for Dual tables anyway.

If you have a 7" record test that too as you are likely way out of wack on that setting now.

Read the second part of my second message. I think the OM is wrong. The SM says put it in 45. That's more typical for Dual tables anyway.

If you have a 7" record test that too as you are likely way out of wack on that setting now.
Thank you! I went back and re-read the SM and it was correct, and said to set the speed to 45 and adjust the visible screw. I was not doing this, but had it set to 33 and was adjusting that screw, which of course did nothing! Duh! I was reading it, but wasn't seeing what it said! I don't have any 45's or an adapter to check, but I'm sure that setting is way out at this point. Problem resolved! Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom