Dual 506/New Vintage Set-Up!

Matt Lafayette

Gentlemen:
Can anyone out there help me? I'm A:looking for some 411 on how the hell one installs a cartridge on a Dual 506 turntable? ($10 Cdn at a yard sale last wknd.)
B: should my cartridge be wrecked (which I kinda think it is), where can I find one?
By the way if anyone has followed my meager set of posts both here and a t the other place check out my new vintage set up:
Lafayette LR-4000 Quad receiver(1974).
Marantz 5020 Cassette Deck(1974)
Dual 506 Turntable(1979)
B&W 600i Monitors(1995)
Total cost(excluding speakers): $15 Canadian.
All of the above were found at yard sales in the past three weeks in and around the Toronto area.
I realize that to some of you these are pretty light-weight components, but the sound quality is amazing and I couldn't be happier with this set up even if I'd paid contemporary dollars for it!

Matt,

The Dual 506 was the only TT in the Dual line up to have a different style headshell from the norm. It was a single screw mount headshell meaning a standard 1/2 inch cartridge will not bolt up. You need the accessory adapter kit to make this conversion.

This kit included the headshell adapter, alignment jig, hardware, instructions and a tone arm weight to compensate for the heavier cartridges.

Here's a link that can sell you this.
http://www.garage-a-records.com/mounts.html

Scroll down to #262-186 Dual ULM bracket (fits 506.......)

Heres a pic:

262186.jpg

Hope this helps.

Het Matt,

That's a great system for virtually no money!! Proves what some work and diligence will do!!:D

I agree with Shain Matt... Nice system for very little money. Ya gotta love that!

I also have to reccomend the Grado Black cartridge. I've been using one for over 3 years now & I don't know of any other cartridge comparible for under 200 bucks! They also make KILLER headphones at a resonable price. You should check them out.

As far as the Marantz goes... I think that auction just proves what good pictures can do to increase the value of an item. I'm currently getting ready to buy a good digital camera myself this weekend, so I can get as good of pictures as possible for ebay myself.

Enjoy the tunes.
mOOn

Back
Top Bottom