Dual 621 opinions?

wordherder62

AK Member
I've found one and am wondering about this one. It's a DD model and is supposed to have the "Dual DMS 240 E" system on it, which I'm completely unfamiliar with. Any comments, cautions, etc.?

Thanks,
Richard

Congrats - nice find. That's a pretty good fully automatic model of the time before Dual moved over to the ULM concept. Quite a few of the 6xx models are almost as good as Dual's 7xx top DD models - and the 621 surely is one of the best models in the 6xx range. Well, and the DMS240E is a fairly good MM made for Dual by Audio Technica (same goes for the DMS242E, btw) - about the same class as a recent AT110E. Not bad for a start, but original replacement needles are not really easy to find nowadays - and a 621 certainly isn't maxed out with a cart in that class.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

On the way to pick up Friday!

Thanks. Looks like I'm on the way to get it Friday. I'll likely stick with the cart that's on it for now and consider an upgrade when I'm feeling more confident in my ability to set up a cart/turntable properly as I'm just dipping back into all of this now.

On the way to get it ...

... now I'll need some recommendations on a potential cartridge as well as any installation and set up tips/tricks anyone might have.

Richard

Well, all you need to know about setup/adjustment is in the manual: http://dual.pytalhost.eu/621/

And regarding a cartridge upgrade: There's an oodleplex of possibilities. Do you have a price range in mind? Any special desires/requirements?

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

So you got the Dual? If so, great find. I really like my 622, sonically and operationally. Yours is a little different I gather, but it's the same engineering and quality with good sonics.

OT: That's a nice grahic of that Royal No 10. I had three of those at one point (typewriters were my addiction before audio gear) but finally managed to let go of them and send them to good homes. :) Fantastic machines -- performance and style -- I could type blazing fast on them.

Michael

Looking in the <$100 range ...

... given what I have in the table. ;)

Yes, Royal is on the list of big manuals. Most of what's here are portables with one RC Allen desktop machine (where Woodstock went after company died). Love those things! Lots of moving parts!

Now if I could get this Olympia repaired that was mangled in shipping ...

Richard

Back
Top Bottom