Dual 701 Start/Stop not working

Flounder

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hi, All.
I thought I'd give my 1229 a rest, and pulled my 701 into service. It was working great before I disconnected it. It's just been sitting in my spare room (not in a garage or basement), and now the start / stop lever isnt working. The platter spins when I manually move the arm. Any ideas? Easy fix?

thanks

The auto-mechanism looks simple, but like anything else, needs to be understood. Does the platter spin if you hold the lever? In a pinch, you can give me a call to straighten this out. Still have my number?

Hey Seth! I'm glad you got the Bat signal. I was hoping you were around. How are things? Magically, it's working now. It wouldnt start, but when I moved the tone arm it started but then wouldnt stop. I unplugged it, and just now plugged it back in and it started spinning again. I pressed the lever to stop and it stopped. It starts now as expected. Is there trouble brewing? There's also a lot of play in the lever. Should it be that lose?

On a separate note, the queue arm is sticking on my beloved 1229. It'll lift the arm, but it shoots right back to the down position if I let go of it. So today, you get a Two-Fer :D

Last edited:
The cue lever pivots on a metal right-angle bracket that has a dowel it rides on. A single screw fastens the bracket to the chassis. Screw might be a bit loose. Something to think about.
And yes, the lever on the 701 normally has lots of play. Started and would not stop. Normally, I would bet the spark supression cap in the switch box is going bad. But as you could not get it going, the mechanism is stickingfrom either a mis-adjustment or dried grease.

Gotta excuse me: it's off to the Bat Room

Last edited:
I've been told that I have a few loose screws . . .I'll check on the dry grease. If it's a mis-adjustment, I might be visiting Brooklyn soon. I'll be in heading to Bay Ridge around Christmas anyway.

I'll check and report back. Thanks!

The screw seems tight. Is it possible that plastic dowel is worn? It just slips of the bronze bar when you move it.

I have never seen that plastic cam break. Before this happened, did you play with the tracking angle lever? The elevator on the main lever might not have moved into proper position.

Back
Top Bottom