dual bass treble

TomB19

I'm sure this has been discussed but I couldn't find it with a search...

I'm looking for a preamp/integrated/receiver that has dual bass and treble controls. Specifically, like the Pioneer SX-1980, SX-1250 which have: 50 & 100Hz bass, as well as two treble controls.

Do any lower end units have this feature? Do any non-Pioneer units have this?

I'd really like to be able to control bass down in the 50Hz range without running an EQ. The rest of the spectrum can be flat, AFAIC.

Lafayette LR-120DB has them and I *think* the Lafayette LR-9090 also has them.
The NAD 1700 preamp/tuner also has them.

I hear what you're saying. But, instead of looking for a needle in a haystack, with the specialized controls on the receiver, it would be far easier and cheaper to secure a decent quality EQ. Just my two cents.

Those Lafayet receivers and NAD 1700 have turnover frequency for bass treble, Pioneer double tone controls are different type, I think only Pioneer have them.
50Hz control is adding to 100Hz bass, they work together.

Current list:

Pioneer SX-1980
Pioneer SX-1280
Pioneer SX-1250
Pioneer SX-1050
Pioneer SA-9900
Pioneer SA-8500
Pioneer SA-9500 II
Pioneer SPEC-1
Pioneer Exclusive C3

Lafayette LR1500TA
Many old Scott's
Kenwood TK140 series
These are some of the good low cost units.

Those Lafayet receivers and NAD 1700 have turnover frequency for bass treble, Pioneer double tone controls are different type, I think only Pioneer have them.
50Hz control is adding to 100Hz bass, they work together.

I did some Googling (is it just me or does Google suck now days?) and the Pioneer arrangement is unique.

Thank you, Goodoplg. That's exactly what I was looking for.

I've always lusted the big Pioneer receivers. I'd love to own an SX-1250 and recently have been introduced to the lovely aesthetics of the Kenwood KR-9050 via the some good folks on this site. I've long thought a 50Hz control would allow me to control some minor room problems a bit.

These days, I've just retired and feel like getting back into music and maybe splurging a bit, but knowing I probably won't notice much of an improvement from my KA-7300, other than the visual satisfaction of having such a beautiful piece of audio jewelry. Not that I find the old Kenwood unattractive. It's an old friend I have cherished for decades.

By the way, I never listen to radio... lol!

I hear what you're saying. But, instead of looking for a needle in a haystack, with the specialized controls on the receiver, it would be far easier and cheaper to secure a decent quality EQ.
An outboard equalizer is an excellent and fairly universal solution. The quality of the equalizer can be chosen based on the purchaser's priorities.

Another possible solution is a receiver with built-in equalizer such as numerous '70s and '80s JVC models.

Top to bottom: JR-S201, '401, and '501

JVC_JRS_Stack_Front.jpg

Another option if you are mainly looking for room correction is one of the new mni-DSP units. They can do the room correction to "flatten" the room and also be used to equalize to your preferences. They are small and easily hidden as not to "distract" from the aesthetics of your vintage system.

For sure, EQ is a great idea. Thank you.

Got rid of my EQ's and dbx Expanders for the same reason, if you purchase one set all of the controls to flat, then switch the unit into and out of the circuit path. With the controls set to flat there should be no change, sadly I've never found this to be the case, the soundstage always suffered. This may not be important to some, and highly important to others, your ears only you can decide.

As for a preamp with flexible tone controls you need look no further than the Carver C16, as great as the Kenny is the Carver is just that much better. At $900 in 1991 dollars it should be better lol. Now it's not vintage silver so if that's important then it won't fill the bill. It also adds what they call spectral tilt.

7631-5.jpg

Screenshot_20181006-074122.png
Screenshot_20181006-074131.png

Last edited:
If you're looking for dual turnovers, any of the Yamaha preamps with parametric equalizers would drive you happy!
(C70, C80, C85)

Current list:

Pioneer SX-1980
Pioneer SX-1280
Pioneer SX-1250
Pioneer SX-1050
Pioneer SA-9900
Pioneer SA-8500
Pioneer SA-9500 II
Pioneer SPEC-1
Pioneer Exclusive C3

Two more for your list: