Dual CS 630Q opinions

Rivercat

Does anyone have any experience with the 630Q? I can get one for $60, but the cartridge needs replaced so I'd probably go with the Ortofon Omega for $35, so I'd be in to this turntable for $95.
I currently have a basic Audio-Technica LP60 that I'm looking to upgrade from. I'm wanting to get something with more of a classic look, with a wood plinth, but they're tough to come by at a decent price. From what I've read so far, the Dual sounds like a solid table, just not much to look at. Obviously personal taste comes into play, but does $95 sound like a good deal for this table and would it be a substantial upgrade from the AT?
If I do get it, I think I'll continue to keep my eye out for a nicer table yet, but just enjoy this one for time being.
This is will be powered by a Yamaha CA-1010.

Last edited:
As the title states, does anyone have any experience with the 630Q? I can get one for $60, but the cartridge needs replaced so I'd probably go with the Ortofon Omega for $35, so I'd be in to this turntable for $95.
I currently have a basic Audio-Technica LP60 that I'm looking to upgrade from. I'm wanting to get something with more of a classic look, with a wood plinth, but they're tough to come by at a decent price. From what I've read so far, the Dual sounds like a solid table, just not much to look at. Obviously personal taste comes into play, but does $95 sound like a good deal for this table and would it be a substantial upgrade from the AT?
If I do get it, I think I'll continue to keep my eye out for a nicer table yet, but just enjoy this one for time being.
This is will be powered by a Yamaha CA-1010.

Here is a link to same additional information - owner's and service manual. :music:
https://www.vinylengine.com/library/dual/cs-630q.shtml

Rc: That's a pretty good Dual direct-drive model. But an Ortofon Omega would be a bit of a suboptimal choice for it - for one thing due to its compliance being a little low for the ULM arm, but also in terms of quality level.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Not a bad turntable, but a notch below some earlier Duals. My personal opinion is that $60 is a bit dear for that one, unless it's in tip-top shape.

I agree with lini, an OM10 would be a more appropriate match, not the Omega. What cartridge is on there now? Maybe you just need a stylus?

Cheers,
Larry B.

I'm not sure if the stylus could be replaced, I'm just going off of what the current owner said, that the whole cartridge needs to be replaced. The table looks to be in very good condition. The reason I'm looking at the omega is purely cost, if I went that route, I'd be $95 into this table, if I went the OM10 route, I'd be into it about $130 total. So I guess my question remains the same, is this table a good enough deal at that price and enough of an upgrade over the Audio-Technica LP60 to be worth the $95-$130?

I'm not sure if the stylus could be replaced, I'm just going off of what the current owner said, that the whole cartridge needs to be replaced. The table looks to be in very good condition. The reason I'm looking at the omega is purely cost, if I went that route, I'd be $95 into this table, if I went the OM10 route, I'd be into it about $130 total. So I guess my question remains the same, is this table a good enough deal at that price and enough of an upgrade over the Audio-Technica LP60 to be worth the $95-$130?

Not many forum members would have had both together for a side by side comparison. :no:

Base on past observations and wild guess, yes on the Dual. :thumbsup:

That's kind of what I was thinking. I realize the AT table I have now is not exactly high end or anything resembling it, so I wasn't sure how many people on here would have experience with it.

Ok, adding one to the mix. How about a Sansui P-50? I can get one for $25, supposedly works but I wouldn't be able to test it before buying. Seems like a heck of a price, but it doesn't look like they go for too much more on eBay.

Rc: I wouldn't deem a CS630 overpriced for 60 bucks, although this kind of question (as well as opinions on that should rather be posted in the Dollars & Sense subforum.

As for the other part of the question: From a hifi perspective the AT-LP60 is more of a "toy class" table or, more neutrally worded, a consumer stereo class turntable than an actual hifi turntable - whereas the CS630 is a hifi turntable, and not a bad one at that. I'd take that over one of the current entry-level hifi class offerings from Pro-Ject, Rega, U-Turn et cetera as well as quite a few of the Hanpin-made models up to (and including) their so-called "Super-OEMs" (= their so far highest quality Technics SL12x0II clones) any day (unless I'd need a table for DJ use, of course, as the CS630 isn't really made for that...). In terms of drive performance the CS630 also beats any of the current models by Dual-Fehrenbacher as well as the slightly modified Thorens siblings of these.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Thanks for the reply, I haven't been to the dollars and sense section, I'll make sure to put this kind of stuff there.

Back
Top Bottom