Dual Disc = DOH !

I won't bother. Early reports are that they won't reliably play in all machines d/t the fact that they're too thick. The "CD" side doesnt conform to Redbook spec and can't hold the full 80 minutes. Several hardware manufacturers are warning owners of their stuff not to use Dual Disc til they've had a chance to acertain whether it could damage their machine. On top of that it's actually cheaper to simply package a CD & a DVD-A together in one box like Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots than it is to make a DD.

As AB would say, "Oh, bother."

Early reports are that they won't reliably play in all machines d/t the fact that they're too thick.
Not all CDs play on all machines either(though they should), so I wouldn't worry about that too much. They didn't have too many problems in the beta tests from what i've heard.

On top of that it's actually cheaper to simply package a CD & a DVD-A together
That may or may not be true, they've been making double sided DVDs cheaply for years now. Having 2 discs in one package still defeats the purpose.
I agree that dual discs probably won't make it, simply because its too little, too late-nobody will buy them.
Jack

Dual Disc isn't simply a double sided DVD- it's essentially a CD bonded to a DVD. It is too thick for Redbook spec. Sony and Philips could probably sue to keep the CD name off the disc, unless the expired patent precludes this. Note that they've done so in the past to keep out of spec discs from being called CDs.

I can't remember which site I saw it on or I'd link it for you, but I just read an updated list of manufacturers that warn against DD. If I recall, Meridian is one of them.

I'm not sure what purpose packaging two discs defeats; it would be nice to have a working DD, I guess, but the initial testing was obviously not rigorous enough. Audioholics points out that it's the more expensive machines that seem to have the lowest tolerance for out of spec discs like DD ones. We'll have to wait and see if there's a lot of issues when consumers start buying them in quantity. If they ever do.

>>>Dual Disc isn't simply a double sided DVD- it's essentially a CD bonded to a DVD.<<<
I am aware of that. my point was they could o it cheaply and easily if they wished.

>>>It is too thick for Redbook spec. Sony and Philips could probably sue to keep the CD name off the disc, unless the expired patent precludes this. Note that they've done so in the past to keep out of spec discs from being called CDs.<<<
I wouldn't worry too much about that. technically, copy protected CDs don't fit redbook specs either.

Personally, I think its too little too late, but we'll see. DVD-A doesn't seem to be going anywhere.
Jack

DualDisc is a feeble attempt to save the DVD-A type format which is barely keeping it's head above the water. With almost every major hardware manufacturer warning against it's use in their machines it will die a quick death and in the process hurt SACD too as the last thing we need is another hi-rez format. Thanks to Warner Bros., etc. for their absolute stupidity and greed.

F1nut said:
DualDisc is a feeble attempt to save the DVD-A type format which is barely keeping it's head above the water. With almost every major hardware manufacturer warning against it's use in their machines it will die a quick death and in the process hurt SACD too as the last thing we need is another hi-rez format. Thanks to Warner Bros., etc. for their absolute stupidity and greed.
Exactly! :yes:

SACD is virtually dead, too. You can get them online, but my local BB has cut the SACD section by 50% in the last few months. The DVD-A selection is unchanged, but they had less of them to start with. Both camps have badly botched their attempts to promote them, both by issuing titles based on how cheaply they could get the royalties and crippling them with DRM headaches. Take away a couple high profile releases and there's very little new pop/rock stuff that's popular enough to interest anyone. More hilarious still, Abco refused to badge their Stones SACD releases as SACD for fear of confusing people.

Hi rez digital will likely get a 2nd chance on HD-DVD or Blu-ray. HD-DVD has already adopted MLP (the exact standard used for DVD-A) and while Sony hasn't committed to a lossless codec yet, they probably will eventually. DSD on Blu-ray, anyone? We can get the 'format war' started all over again. :lmao:

I made the mistake of buying the "deluxe" packaging for The Donnas new CD, Gold Medal. It is DualDisc and I will never get another one again. It only cost $3 more, but now I see it wasn't worth it.

On the DVD side is the album in 5.1, a video, and a "making of." However, now I have to worry about scratching either side when I am in my car, and we all know how annoying that is! Plus, the sandwich is pretty damn thick. So I just burned a copy to CD-R and use that. I also ripped it to my iPod.

What a WASTE!

Back
Top Bottom