Dual Headshell Sled Question

63pontiacgp

"Tubes Smell Good"
Subscriber
I see that some of the cartridge sleds have an adjustable wheel on them. Neither of the 2 I have for my 1246 do. Is there a benefit to the adjustable ones?

Mike

I see that some of the cartridge sleds have an adjustable wheel on them. Neither of the 2 I have for my 1246 do. Is there a benefit to the adjustable ones?

Mike

I've only seen that adjustment on Elac's, never on the Dual's. On my Elac, specifically, the adjustable is a screw up-front which allows you to align the stylus with a plastic retractable in the plinth (so you don't have to remove/adjust the cart for proper alignment).

Those holders are for changers like the 1229 where the VTA changes as the records stack up on the platter. The 1229 can stack as many as 6 records and the dial is used to keep the VTA constant. Single play turntables don't need that knob since the tonearm is designed to play 1 record at a time.

I have one on a 1218.

DpGYUqEVAAAPYWz.jpg:large

Eric

They came stock with some changer models but will fit most other 12xx, 5xx and 6xx series. It's the Tk-15 and mounts the same way as the Tk-12 and Tk-24 so it is interchangeable with them.

They are fragile and not perfect in execution but are designed to adjust for VTA in cases of single records on changers. You can achieve the same result with thicker platter mats and/or shims under the back end of the cartridge.

Agreed that they are fragile.

That sled was present on two Dual's I had a few years ago. One was not intact when acquired and the second fell apart the first time I adjusted it.

Not worth the trouble (or likely the cost) of finding another in my opinion.

So many answers, so few correct.
Came ONLY on two models. The 1218 and 1228. That is it. On the 1219/1229, the entire arm can be raised or lowered. This special shell cannot be used on anything but the ten inch 12xx idler models and the few belt-drivers that are optimized for 3rd record on the stack,.even though it may fit. Having the arm nearly parallel to the record is a good thing.
No angled shims! If want to set the little table up for single play, then use bigger mounting spacers on a regular shell.

Came ONLY on two models. The 1218 and 1228. That is it. On the 1219/1229, the entire arm can be raised or lowered. This special shell cannot be used on anything but the ten inch 12xx idler models and the few belt-drivers that are optimized for 3rd record on the stack,.even though it may fit. Having the arm nearly parallel to the record is a good thing.
No angled shims! If want to set the little table up for single play, then use bigger mounting spacers on a regular shell.
In addition they sold a lot in retail Audio stores. I replaced my Shure with a B&O once. Since the Shure was glued into the head shell the counter guy sold me a new head shell. I still have it. It has the adjustable knob which is marked S... W or M. It simply has a plastic cam which tightens on my mounting plate. it does nothing viable. maybe with this setup. Another use could be possible .I do recall asking Bill about it but do not recall what he said it does. it has a purpose just not on this setup.IMG_6363.JPG IMG_6364.JPG

Either your shell is broken or you are not looking carefully enough. The knob changes the angle of the dangle. It does the same thing with any cartridge.

Either your shell is broken or you are not looking carefully enough. The knob changes the angle of the dangle. It does the same thing with any cartridge.

In a perfect world you are correct. However this head shell is corrupt. The white mounting plate is suspended by only one of the two springs. which are pretty tuff, so it's already flat. The cam is loose or it can be tightened against the plate. The counter guy or, whoever he had mount the cartridge may have cut off the little ear the spring attaches to. Damn butcher. I used it for many years not knowing the difference. i tested the cartridge a while ago and it played fine. Keeping it for a spare. Sorta of a waste of a good cartridge. It too came with a adapter allowing it to be mounted to this head shell. It should be sitting in a good B&O turntable. Kind of hard to find these days.

Wrong too. At a minimum it also came on the 1246 and possibly others. Look it up.

And yes, the single/multi switch for the tonearm on the 1219/1229 is better and eliminates the need for it but it will still mount on the arm.

As for flat vs wedge shim, I don't see a real problem with either as long as the cartridge mounts solidly and ends up flat relative to the record. All the Tk-15 (or the later iteration Tk-25) achieves is a rather flimsy wedge in effect. A solid one would far preferable.

Last edited:
But a wedge is unnecessary. As I said, the cartridge simply needs to be further away from the clip, which raises the arm tube closer to parallel. The shell in question will fit on a 1219, as I said, but will screw things up for sure. You are right about the 1246. I looked it up. Seems that it is the only belt-drive stacker that was fitted with the fancy clip.

3 models at the same time had it according to this catalogue, described as "adjustable vertical tracking angle". Anyway, a flat spacer or wedge can both achieve the same end.

20181010_224619.jpg

I have seen some of these adjustable sleds on other 1246's, but mine did not have this adjustment. I wondered whether I had the wrong part. It doesn't impact the tracking or sound quality, but I wondered about that adjustment.

Wrong too. At a minimum it also came on the 1246 and possibly others. Look it up.

And yes, the single/multi switch for the tonearm on the 1219/1229 is better and eliminates the need for it but it will still mount on the arm.

As for flat vs wedge shim, I don't see a real problem with either as long as the cartridge mounts solidly and ends up flat relative to the record. All the Tk-15 (or the later iteration Tk-25) achieves is a rather flimsy wedge in effect. A solid one would far preferable.
I think you're correct. I have the stacking spindle for my 1246. I've never used it.

Mike

S for Single. M for Multi. I’ve only owned 1219 and 1229 changers and they have raised arm for multiple records, so I though all Dual changers had that. Didn’t realize other changers were fixed VTA. How gauche!

Yes, that is correct. The tonearm can be height adjusted in those models. It is also an Achilles heel of the 1219 especially as the mechanism is fragile. I have one not 10 ft from me with said issue.

The sled with adjustable angle is a good idea but not a perfect execution esp. 40 or so years later when the plastic is brittle and worn.

Yes, that is correct. The tonearm can be height adjusted in those models. It is also an Achilles heel of the 1219 especially as the mechanism is fragile. I have one not 10 ft from me with said issue.

The sled with adjustable angle is a good idea but not a perfect execution esp. 40 or so years later when the plastic is brittle and worn.

Sadly, I have a mint 1219 early edition with a bad arm. Plays, but I think the select single-multi has been forced. Even with a new stuerpimple, the arm won’t cycle. Have seen that headshell on several repair Duals in the past.

Eric

Back
Top Bottom